Discontent in the AD?

Cdog923

Im a Benning fan, he does know the intricacies of the game and as an ex player- has a great perspective others just cant have.  He is outstanding calling the State High School football championships. You can tell he does his homework while others struggle and make lots of mistakes and then lazy generic calls of " a run up the middle", when Damon breaks down the play, inside zone, power, Iso, trap, wham etc and what made the play work.  He will predict what a coach will do next and is usually correct.  Can go off on tangents at times- but pretty good to listen to most mornings

Bahe is funny, likes basketball too much, but is more introspective than most give him credit for, I like him. 

USC- they try too hard to be funny and edgy- get off on too many tangents and seem to smugly talk down to the audience at times. Cant listen to it. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, OTHusker said:

Im a Benning fan, he does know the intricacies of the game and as an ex player- has a great perspective others just cant have.  He is outstanding calling the State High School football championships. You can tell he does his homework while others struggle and make lots of mistakes and then lazy generic calls of " a run up the middle", when Damon breaks down the play, inside zone, power, Iso, trap, wham etc and what made the play work.  He will predict what a coach will do next and is usually correct.  Can go off on tangents at times- but pretty good to listen to most mornings

Bahe is funny, likes basketball too much, but is more introspective than most give him credit for, I like him. 

USC- they try too hard to be funny and edgy- get off on too many tangents and seem to smugly talk down to the audience at times. Cant listen to it. 

Wat

On 1/29/2019 at 10:28 PM, Hedley Lamarr said:

Because it is true actually. Scott shared the same displeasure as TO because well him and TO are tight as we all know. I'm telling you we could have hired a monkey as long as that monkey had zero connections to Harvey Perlman 

On 1/29/2019 at 10:34 PM, Redux said:

No, just no.

He had desire to remain at UCF.  There were two major jobs open just down the street with better recruiting bases.  This wasn't cut and dry like you think.  Just because you called your shot and were "right" doesn't mean Frost  was a lock regardless of who the AD was.

Although this thread has meandered across multiple topics, I wanted to weigh in on the Scott Frost hiring. Attached is an article (and shortened video) from a long time sports anchor in the Orlando area. Note that this wasn't made public until the Monday AFTER Frost made his decision to go to Nebraska. There may be some slight embellishment to enhance the story (see the end when he talks about the autographed footballs) but the meat of the story rings true. The fact that two media people could and would keep the conversation with Frost under wraps until after the decision, probably speaks to the fact that they are from a different generation than the 'look at me first' types that litter the current landscape, and to obvious respect they had for Frost and the way he went about his business. 

This story rings legit to me. It was a difficult decision.  And, as the article states, Florida never had a chance. Or Tennessee. Or any other school not named UCF or Nebraska. 

https://www.wesh.com/article/pats-2-cents-scott-frosts-dilemma/14029273

I think if it came down to offers from Oregon, FSU, Florida and Tennessee and the Nebraska job wasn't open he would have stayed at UCF another year.  But he would have listened, and maybe even considered it since they wouldnt have had to try fighting us off.

Then he very much would have been approached by Ohio State after Urban stepped down after 2018 and this place would have disintegrated had he taken that offer.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, OTHusker said:

I like Benning too, I like his take on football and he is pretty knowledgeable about sports in general.  As many have said he does like to get cryptic sometimes.  For me personally if he doesn't feel like he can discuss something in full than don't bring it up. 

Didn't care for Bahe at first too much Bball and Creighton BBall in general.  I feel he has backed off on that some and is more rounded.  He repeats himself and talks in circles a lot but he is not bad except for 1 team each week.  On Friday's when Matt Schick calls into the show it is terrible. It is a half hour of them giggling about inside jokes and the good old days when they did a show together.   The guys on USC are terrible. 

I usually listen to a local show out of Boise at that point.  It is a really good show with just the right mix of sports and comic stuff.  Much more similar to USC when Kuglar and S'evere were on it.  

• Plus1 3

I listened to 1620 on the way home from work today (around 5-ish) - Josh and John made at least two or three remarks about the station having come under fire thanks to Schaefer/Benning last week. They made it sound like they've received a lot of complaints, including some people saying they would no longer listen to the station, and then John even took a little bit of a dig at Schaefer. It was all sort of said in passing - they didn't devote much time to it.

Nonetheless, it seems like quite a few people are laying a significant portion of blame for this situation at 1620's feet. And, to some extent, I agree. It was an incredibly misguided move on their part. Factually reporting impropriety is one thing. Throwing vague accusations at the wall without any context or fact is something else entirely.

• Plus1 4
6 hours ago, Redux said:

I think if it came down to offers from Oregon, FSU, Florida and Tennessee and the Nebraska job wasn't open he would have stayed at UCF another year.  But he would have listened, and maybe even considered it since they wouldnt have had to try fighting us off.

Then he very much would have been approached by Ohio State after Urban stepped down after 2018 and this place would have disintegrated had he taken that offer.

I agree with the first line (except maybe Oregon). But I don't think he would have ever taken the OSU job.

6 hours ago, Enhance said:

I listened to 1620 on the way home from work today (around 5-ish) - Josh and John made at least two or three remarks about the station having come under fire thanks to Schaefer/Benning last week. They made it sound like they've received a lot of complaints, including some people saying they would no longer listen to the station, and then John even took a little bit of a dig at Schaefer. It was all sort of said in passing - they didn't devote much time to it.

Nonetheless, it seems like quite a few people are laying a significant portion of blame for this situation at 1620's feet. And, to some extent, I agree. It was an incredibly misguided move on their part. Factually reporting impropriety is one thing. Throwing vague accusations at the wall without any context or fact is something else entirely.

Do you know about what segment or time this was?  I would like to listen for it on their podcast if able.  Thx 

3 hours ago, PlzCoolerMe said:

Do you know about what segment or time this was?  I would like to listen for it on their podcast if able.  Thx 

I want to say it was segments 11 and 12 from Jan. 31. Seg. 11 would've been their daily "Blow Through" segment. I probably heard the references over about a 30-45 minute time period, and they were fairly quick references, so it may take awhile to track them down.

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I want to say it was segments 11 and 12 from Jan. 31. Seg. 11 would've been their daily "Blow Through" segment. I probably heard the references over about a 30-45 minute time period, and they were fairly quick references, so it may take awhile to track them down.

They mentioned Schaefer's involvement at the beginning of seg 12.... I skimmed through seg 11 but didn't catch anything...

11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I agree with the first line (except maybe Oregon). But I don't think he would have ever taken the OSU job.

Oh probably not.  But had he turned in another undefeated year at UCF, they may have even gotten more of a look with him there for playoff?, Ohio State would have been courting him.  He would have listened at the very least.

17 hours ago, NUinID said:

I like Benning too, I like his take on football and he is pretty knowledgeable about sports in general.  As many have said he does like to get cryptic sometimes.  For me personally if he doesn't feel like he can discuss something in full than don't bring it up. 

Didn't care for Bahe at first too much Bball and Creighton BBall in general.  I feel he has backed off on that some and is more rounded.  He repeats himself and talks in circles a lot but he is not bad except for 1 team each week.  On Friday's when Matt Schick calls into the show it is terrible. It is a half hour of them giggling about inside jokes and the good old days when they did a show together.   The guys on USC are terrible. 

I usually listen to a local show out of Boise at that point.  It is a really good show with just the right mix of sports and comic stuff.  Much more similar to USC when Kuglar and S'evere were on it.  

Accidental double quote...

I like the morning guys quite a bit and your Benning take is spot on to me.  I'm sure he's privy to a ton of stuff as both a former Husker and a member of the media and it's hard to walk the line but I can't stand his cryptic stuff.  Bahe as a CBB color guy is pretty good, Bahe as a radio host is terrible.  I couldn't agree more on the Friday segment with Schick.  I personally like Severe quite a bit so he gets the majority of my local time usually via podcast.  I haven't listened to USC with any regularity since Severe and Kugler left so I can't really comment but in the limited time I have spent listening to them they came across a little too smug and hollier than thou for me.  I also don't really like Creighton BB too much so that knocks them down for me since Bishop calls the games for them.  I like the 590 afternoon guys quite a bit.

• Plus1 2