Discontent in the AD?

Cdog923

12 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Its fine. I am close with some people that get good information for various reasons. I don't pretend to know everything but I'll pass along what I'm told from time to time. Note I prefaced it with "fwiw"

I have a very close friend that has had 2 sons walk on and play at Nebraska, his brother played for them also.  He likes to  think he knows what is going on in the FB program and the AD in general.  He really doesn't though. I am not saying your people don't know stuff, I am just saying that I think there are a lot of people that think they know more than  they actually do. 

• Plus1 2

On 1/23/2019 at 9:39 AM, Cdog923 said:

I'm listening to it a bit more closely now; they're talking about Jack Stark not being allowed to work with the basketball or volleyball programs (I didn't know he was associated with the University again?). Mike Schaefer starts going in on Hank Bounds, too; essentially saying he wants to be AD without actually having the title. 

Here's the initial segment: skip to about halfway in. 

Nope, they are talking about a different Jack, that would be me....Jack Riggins.   Jack Stark is not with UNL, he is with CU.   

On 1/23/2019 at 1:04 PM, TheGainfulHusker said:

I'm disappointed that they won't allow the program leadership training anymore.

I am pretty sure if SF wants to use the Program he will be able to.   The "No Outside Consultant" policy  given to me by Bill Moos is not enforced across the board.  Frankly it has been a mess since SE got here and it should be something Moos figures out.   With TO, it was common practice to use outside people in any sport at the coaches desire, within legal means and financial smarts.  Most were volunteers.  Anyway that all changed with SE, and Bill Moos hasn't got a straight policy yet.   MBB is the latest in a saga, of wanting it...."Needing it" and getting it and then having it pulled away at a critical time.    Say what you want about Miles, but any leader that recognizes his shortcoming and tries to bring in experts to help is on the right path.  Just go ask John Cook about it or read his book.  Ask SF, he is doing that with "The Program".  The question all should be asking of AD "Is why are our coaches not getting the resources they feel they need to grow as coaches and provide the best possible competitive advantage for their kids based on their professional judgment?"    BTW:  This outside consultant or volunteer dynamic is extremely common at other ELITE institutions and PRO levels.   I would think UNL would want to utilize best practice. 

37 minutes ago, Jack Riggins said:

I am pretty sure if SF wants to use the Program he will be able to.   The "No Outside Consultant" policy  given to me by Bill Moos is not enforced across the board.  Frankly it has been a mess since SE got here and it should be something Moos figures out.   With TO, it was common practice to use outside people in any sport at the coaches desire, within legal means and financial smarts.  Most were volunteers.  Anyway that all changed with SE, and Bill Moos hasn't got a straight policy yet.   MBB is the latest in a saga, of wanting it...."Needing it" and getting it and then having it pulled away at a critical time.    Say what you want about Miles, but any leader that recognizes his shortcoming and tries to bring in experts to help is on the right path.  Just go ask John Cook about it or read his book.  Ask SF, he is doing that with "The Program".  The question all should be asking of AD "Is why are our coaches not getting the resources they feel they need to grow as coaches and provide the best possible competitive advantage for their kids based on their professional judgment?"    BTW:  This outside consultant or volunteer dynamic is extremely common at other ELITE institutions and PRO levels.   I would think UNL would want to utilize best practice. 

Found the rat, I’m telling Moos.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:22 AM, Redux said:

Hey, whoever my new fan is, you may not like hearing the truth but Scott Frost wasn't the lock Hedley's Tall Tale suggests he was.  I know some don't like hearing it but it's true. 

-He had other offers, good offers 

-He had doubts about taking this job. It took secretly meeting, with Moos mind you, to set his mind at ease

-He didn't want to leave UCF just yet

-He got cold feet the closer it got

Ultimately he made the choice to take it BECAUSE the job wasn't coming around again with the right set of circumstances.  Believe whatever you want, believe that Tom called him home and he came running and it was that easy.  I really don't care.  But had he stayed at UCF and we ended up with a 3rd or 4th choice, he never ends up here.  So, ultimately, Moos wasn't just a monkey thrust into the job to hire Scott because HE wanted the job.

Is the bolded really true?  Since TO retired, we haven't exactly been known as a program that holds onto football coaches.  Heck, we've had as many ADs since TO's retirement as coaches haven't we?  It's likely had Frost not taken the job that it would have been open again within the next 3-7 years. 

• Plus1 1

On 1/31/2019 at 4:13 PM, NUinID said:

Didn't care for Bahe at first too much Bball and Creighton BBall in general.  I feel he has backed off on that some and is more rounded.  He repeats himself and talks in circles a lot but he is not bad except for 1 team each week.  On Friday's when Matt Schick calls into the show it is terrible. It is a half hour of them giggling about inside jokes and the good old days when they did a show together.   The guys on USC are terrible. 

Bahe has his moments where I agree with him, however most of the time he is so hyperbolic in his counter arguments to defend his own opinion, I can’t take him seriously. He needs a cohost, IMO. The other day he was ridiculing football fans who dislike how soft football has become and then in the same breath mocking the same fans for saying the Super Bowl was boring because it was a defensive game. I guess he doesn’t care to know what a logical fallacy is.

I also remember when Tommy Armstrong was a sophomore and how he came out and lit up podunk U in week 1 and how there is something “different” about this team under TA and how he was so much better than TM. Then after a dud in week 3 or 4, he was hating on TA already. 

19 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Is the bolded really true?  Since TO retired, we haven't exactly been known as a program that holds onto football coaches.  Heck, we've had as many ADs since TO's retirement as coaches haven't we?  It's likely had Frost not taken the job that it would have been open again within the next 3-7 years. 

If we hired anyone but Frost we probably get someone who isn't great but isn't bad, meaning minimum 5yrs.  Was Frost sticking around UCF for another 5 years in the simple hope that the Nebraska job would open up?  Hell no.  He would have stayed at UCF 3 MAYBE 4 years total.  So by the time the Nebraska job would have opened back up, a different power 5 program would have already secured him.  So yeah, I feel it is true.  We got him at the right time.

Anyone who questions whether or not Frost had reservations even taking the job when he did, go back and watch his introduction.  You can visibly see how conflicted the guy is, he is pretty clearly torn on the whole thing.  I remember him saying something along the lines of he took the job now because it probably wouldn't have been open when he was fully ready to take it.

• Plus1 1
On 1/23/2019 at 1:04 PM, TheGainfulHusker said:

I'm disappointed that they won't allow the program leadership training anymore.

Sorry if I missed a follow up on this, but where has this been stated? I know that Verduzco isn't a fan of outside QB coaches, but Scott is good friends with The Program's CEO, so I thought that this would probably continue.

14 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I also remember when Tommy Armstrong was a sophomore and how he came out and lit up podunk U in week 1 and how there is something “different” about this team under TA and how he was so much better than TM. Then after a dud in week 3 or 4, he was hating on TA already. 

I think that's a big fallacy of our local radio, particularly 1620. It's not just Bahe. There's regular embellishment coming from some of those guys. I don't think it's always intentional, either, but more of them just getting a little carried away and trying to find Husker football related topics to discuss.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Sorry if I missed a follow up on this, but where has this been stated? I know that Verduzco isn't a fan of outside QB coaches, but Scott is good friends with The Program's CEO, so I thought that this would probably continue.

I think that's a big fallacy of our local radio, particularly 1620. It's not just Bahe. There's regular embellishment coming from some of those guys. I don't think it's always intentional, either, but more of them just getting a little carried away and trying to find Husker football related topics to discuss.

I am 100% positive that the local radio hosts all work together on the topics they want to cover/push.  It makes sense that they would.  I would not be shocked if they even work together on what their take will be on the topic.

12 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am 100% positive that the local radio hosts all work together on the topics they want to cover/push.  It makes sense that they would.  I would not be shocked if they even work together on what their take will be on the topic.

I'm almost certain that if they don't do that regularly, they did it a couple weeks ago when Schaefer and Benning started this whole mess. 

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I cant remember where I heard that. It was either in the sharp and benning clip (post on page 1) or I read it somewhere. Something about how no more outside vendors can be brought in for training the athletes or something like that. Wish I could remember the source and I don't have ability to listen to that clip right now.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:53 AM, TheGainfulHusker said:

I cant remember where I heard that. It was either in the sharp and benning clip (post on page 1) or I read it somewhere. Something about how no more outside vendors can be brought in for training the athletes or something like that. Wish I could remember the source and I don't have ability to listen to that clip right now.

It may have been me on this board. I WAS the outside volunteer for MBB this year, until I wasn't.  Moos stated "NO OUTSIDE CONSULTANTS or VOLUNTEERS" to me directly in his office.   Now, that doesn't mean SF isn't going to use "The Program".   I fully support he should if he feels that will help his program.  I worked with JC and VB in this roll for many years.   My point, in bringing it up is that it seemed strange to pull the support from MBB, when they clearly diagnosed they needed it, began working on it, and then it was pulled.   It still remains, clear they need it.   It shows a general lack of clear POLICY and follow-thru by the AD, as well as inconsistencies in support to Teams as UNL is currently using OUTSIDE SUPPORT in some areas and not others.   I am of the opinion coaches should be able to use it, when they think it will help their teams and it is fiscally responsible, legal and within the norms of the NCAA.   Currently Moos has a different or case by case opinion at least with MBB.   I know cause I was there.  

Don't worry SF will NOT have a problem getting support inside and outside of the AD.   That I am sure of.    

17 minutes ago, Jack Riggins said:

It may have been me on this board. I WAS the outside volunteer for MBB this year, until I wasn't.  Moos stated "NO OUTSIDE CONSULTANTS or VOLUNTEERS" to me directly in his office.   Now, that doesn't mean SF isn't going to use "The Program".   I fully support he should if he feels that will help his program.  I worked with JC and VB in this roll for many years.   My point, in bringing it up is that it seemed strange to pull the support from MBB, when they clearly diagnosed they needed it, began working on it, and then it was pulled.   It still remains, clear they need it.   It shows a general lack of clear POLICY and follow-thru by the AD, as well as inconsistencies in support to Teams as UNL is currently using OUTSIDE SUPPORT in some areas and not others.   I am of the opinion coaches should be able to use it, when they think it will help their teams and it is fiscally responsible, legal and within the norms of the NCAA.   Currently Moos has a different or case by case opinion at least with MBB.   I know cause I was there.  

Don't worry SF will NOT have a problem getting support inside and outside of the AD.   That I am sure of.    

Do you think Frost will be like Riley and hire an outside consultant to come in and teach his team how to tackle? hahahaha. Sorry I couldnt help myself.