Discontent in the AD?

Cdog923

7 hours ago, Jeepy said:

Well, he's the boss and still a new one, so there's going to be discontent.. until all slough off over time.  

Having said that, the perception that he should have allowed Miles a three year contract extension (or more) instead of the one year, is largely unsaid but felt AND said  by some.

I agree with those sentiments, about Miles.  But, Moos has goals and his way of going about achieving those goals.  People need to settle down and get to work on that.

You've mentioned this in a few threads, and I am genuinely interested in why you think Miles earned a three year extension last year? 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I sort of think that DE is fine...

1.  It is baseball

2.  I think they still break even or maybe even make money at the moment

3.  It is baseball

4.  The expectations are probably to win the Big Ten and/or make the CWS (not the real CWS at Omaha but the fake one that the NCAA tries to trick us into thinking is just like March Madness when we all know that everyone that follows baseball at all is only waiting for the 8 at Omaha)

Baseball loses money. I don't remember how much. WBB is the worst, IIRC.

Just now, Moiraine said:

Baseball loses money. I don't remember how much. WBB is the worst, IIRC.

I don’t know about recent years, and maybe the additional travel in the Big Ten requires the baseball team to spend more $. But when the Haymarket Park opened, the baseball team would at least break even or turn a small profit. Attendance might be down after the switch to the Big Ten though. 

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t know about recent years, and maybe the additional travel in the Big Ten requires the baseball team to spend more $. But when the Haymarket Park opened, the baseball team would at least break even or turn a small profit. Attendance might be down after the switch to the Big Ten though. 

Attendance is down because they have sucked

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, KingBlank said:

Attendance is down because they have sucked

Yes, the baseball team isn’t as good as they were 10 years ago but series against Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State, would be jam packed with fans. Fans aren’t getting excited for Michigan State, Purdue, and Minnesota 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, the baseball team isn’t as good as they were 10 years ago but series against Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State, would be jam packed with fans. Fans aren’t getting excited for Michigan State, Purdue, and Minnesota 

There is a lot of truth to that.  I mean, look at it for football too.  Purdue?  Illinois?  Rutgers?  MD?  Minnesota?  Indiana?  Teams that no one really cares about seeing no matter what the sport is.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

@teachercd

This is what I was going off of (by memory). It's from the 2015 season.

https://herosports.com/college-football/nebraska-football-athletics-revenue-volleyball-17-million-ahah

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

@teachercd

This is what I was going off of (by memory). It's from the 2015 season.

https://herosports.com/college-football/nebraska-football-athletics-revenue-volleyball-17-million-ahah

I think I am more amazed that the rifle team brought in 29,000...like...how?  Someone bought a ticket or concessions?  I know they still ended up losing tons of money but the fact that they brought it anything is baffling.  

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think I am more amazed that the rifle team brought in 29,000...like...how?  Someone bought a ticket or concessions?  I know they still ended up losing tons of money but the fact that they brought it anything is baffling.  

Maybe they're hired as hit men/women on the side. (Is it a men's or women's or coed sport?)

I wouldn't have guessed that volleyball brings in so much more than women's basketball. I mean, that volleyball revenue number is about as much as baseball and women's basketball combined! Coach Cook is just that good?

I also notice that men's basketball made a net $2.3 million that year. The salary bump just for paying Hoiberg is going to be about $1.3 million, and who knows how much more we'll be paying for assistants. Could basketball end up in 'break even' territory?

6 hours ago, Landlord said:

Erstad's been here longer than Miles and has barely accomplished more. Moos has shown he's not f#&%ing around with expectations - I think Erstad has this year and next to do something really impressive before he's out.

I want baseball to be better too, but moving to the B1G did NU's baseball program no favors.  Worse weather.  Worse competition.  Baseball will not likely ever generate significant positive revenue, so I don't see Moos losing much sleep over it.  Also, with Erstad being a stud NU baseball player and a good punter in the 90's glory years--I think he's pretty safe.  Who knows what Moos thinks though.

• Plus1 2

It'll be interesting to see what revenue is like this year because (not to be a smart a$$) 2015 was four years ago. Inflation hasn't drastically changed in that time frame, but, things have still fluctuated. Basketball will likely be more hyped than ever before by next season which will probably lead to increased revenues from tickets/apparel.

6 hours ago, Landlord said:

Erstad's been here longer than Miles and has barely accomplished more. Moos has shown he's not f#&%ing around with expectations - I think Erstad has this year and next to do something really impressive before he's out.

Erstad won a conference title.  Which is something Miles never came anywhere close to.

Erstad has been to the NCAA tournament three times in six year.  Miles was there one time in seven years.

I don't think your statement is very accurate.

• Thanks 5
31 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It'll be interesting to see what revenue is like this year because (not to be a smart a$$) 2015 was four years ago. Inflation hasn't drastically changed in that time frame, but, things have still fluctuated.

2015 is also before Nebraska was receiving a full share of B1G revenues.

• Plus1 1