All hail the transfer portal....

• 2 weeks later...

14 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Dang didn't even think about how this recession stuff could affect kids walking on. If you're able to get a free education somewhere at the moment it's worth taking it. Though the new tuition free deal should boost it some.

I'm not sure how the NCAA is going to look at the free tuition and then being a walk-on for football.  If it doesn't count towards the 85 rule, then why wouldn't we offer a lot of really good players whose family qualifies for the free tuition to walk-on?  They wouldn't be on as big of scholarship, but it would be a big help.

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not sure how the NCAA is going to look at the free tuition and then being a walk-on for football.  If it doesn't count towards the 85 rule, then why wouldn't we offer a lot of really good players whose family qualifies for the free tuition to walk-on?  They wouldn't be on as big of scholarship, but it would be a big help.

Unless player offers that idea you are rolling a pretty big dice hoping it goes your way 

15 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Dang didn't even think about how this recession stuff could affect kids walking on. If you're able to get a free education somewhere at the moment it's worth taking it. Though the new tuition free deal should boost it some.

This is likely or it is possible that when they stand next to the young high star guys they see that the fight may be too big

17 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Unless player offers that idea you are rolling a pretty big dice hoping it goes your way 

You wouldn't do it to the ones towards the top of your board.  But, maybe ones that are being offered scholarships to lesser programs. Hey, you can come to Nebraska on a partial scholarship.  Those guys that are better than your typical walk-on, but not as polished as your top recruits.  Someone who could have a better chance of developing into a good player.

I think the bigger risk is if some take you up on it and then the NCAA cracks down on you.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't think you try to use it to skirt the 85 rule. You still offer scholarships to the kids you want. However, the Nebraska kid who just missed the cut and has a full ride SDSU scholarship might be more ok skipping that to walk on if his tuition is covered. 

• Fire 1

Have they unveiled the specifics on the "free tuition" plan yet?  Last I saw, it was only going to effect around 1000 Nebraksa families.  Doesn't sound like something a lot of stock should be put into for contributing to the walk-on program.

But I guess, if it gets one quality walk-on instead of him going to SDSU, it's worth it...

6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Have they unveiled the specifics on the "free tuition" plan yet?  Last I saw, it was only going to effect around 1000 Nebraksa families.  Doesn't sound like something a lot of stock should be put into for contributing to the walk-on program.

But I guess, if it gets one quality walk-on instead of him going to SDSU, it's worth it...

It gives free tuition to families under the median wage which is $60,000. So, I'd guess that means 1,000 families per year which would be pretty significant.