All hail the transfer portal....

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Have they unveiled the specifics on the "free tuition" plan yet?  Last I saw, it was only going to effect around 1000 Nebraksa families.  Doesn't sound like something a lot of stock should be put into for contributing to the walk-on program.

But I guess, if it gets one quality walk-on instead of him going to SDSU, it's worth it...

Pretty sure it is anyone below the median household income which is right at $60,000.  So it should affect exactly half the families in Nebraska (though I don't know how many of those would have college-age kids).

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Pretty sure it is anyone below the median household income which is right at $60,000.  So it should affect exactly half the families in Nebraska (though I don't know how many of those would have college-age kids).

They said it would only be given to about 1,000 families

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'll have to find the initial article.  Many families (I want to say around 2500) already recieved free tuition because of their income level.  This will close "the gap" just a bit more.  

I guess my thought is, if this isn't something that has already been "taken advantage of", why start now?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

They said it would only be given to about 1,000 families

So, given @funhusker note below, is that 1,000 total or an additional 1,000?  Apparently 1,000 more for about 3,500 total?

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

I'll have to find the initial article.  Many families (I want to say around 2500) already recieved free tuition because of their income level.  This will close "the gap" just a bit more.  

I guess my thought is, if this isn't something that has already been "taken advantage of", why start now?

Thanks for the clarification.  I didn't realize that.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

So, given @funhusker note below, is that 1,000 total or an additional 1,000?  Apparently 1,000 more for about 3,500 total?

Another important thing to note, at least as far as was initially reported, is these grants only cover tuition.  Students still pay for books, room and board, food, and fees.  That stuff is the expensive stuff!

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Another important thing to note, at least as far as was initially reported, is these grants only cover tuition.  Students still pay for books, room and board, food, and fees.  That stuff is the expensive stuff!

Yeah, I noted that earlier as well.  It definitely helps but also not the same thing as being on scholarships.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is only for kids from Nebraska?

That was my understanding.  I'd have to look again for sure.

Here is the thread on it if anyone wants to look there as well:

This tweet says 1000 kids, not 1000 families, though if they are only talking about college-age kids it might be roughly the same.

I read this as only kids from Nebraska.  Though I suppose the NE kids could be kids at the University.

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

An additional 1,000

Edit:  Yea you're right, students not families.  Probably still roughly the same though like you said.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is only for kids from Nebraska?

Yes

https://news.unl.edu/newsrooms/today/article/university-offers-free-tuition-to-nebraskans-with-family-incomes-of-60000-or/

The university’s existing need-based financial aid program, Collegebound Nebraska, guarantees tuition-free education for qualifying Pell-eligible Nebraska students. Nearly 3,000 students currently attend NU tuition-free under Collegebound Nebraska.

The expanded Nebraska Promise would cover approximately 1,000 additional current and future NU students. University leaders hope the program will attract Nebraskans who may not have thought they could afford a university education.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, RedRedJarvisRedwine said:

We have interest in North Texas WR Rico Bussey. Anyone got anything more on this?

Outside of Schaefer talking about it on the recruiting hour a while ago, I have not heard anything else. I would welcome a grad transfer WR at this point. Bussey was a 1000 yard receiver in 2018 with 12 touchdowns and was hurt all of 2019. He is way more explosive than K. Noa and that is if he can get to his old form. He did take place in an air raid system, but I think he would slot in nicely in this offense. In 2017, he had 677 yards receiving along with 7 TD's. 

• Fire 1
  • 5 weeks later...