All hail the transfer portal....

4 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

A 2019 4 star recruit that redshirted.   Had several notable offers besides PSU.  Nice size.  Dont recall that we recruited him though.  

With the QB room currently in good shape, and possibly 2 QB signees in the 2021 class, I don't see a need at QB right now.  I know that can change in an instant, but I doubt Frost will pursue him.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

With the QB room currently in good shape, and possibly 2 QB signees in the 2021 class, I don't see a need at QB right now.  I know that can change in an instant, but I doubt Frost will pursue him.

I agree that we might not look since they seem ok but maybe he is a better prospect than some and he is just a RF.  Might be a CB or Safety prospect as well as presumably a fine athlete. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I agree that we might not look since they seem ok but maybe he is a better prospect than some and he is just a RF.  Might be a CB or Safety prospect as well as presumably a fine athlete. 

It's not a bad idea from a coach's point of view, but kids (especially QB's) don't enter the transfer portal to switch positions at their new school.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's not a bad idea from a coach's point of view, but kids (especially QB's) don't enter the transfer portal to switch positions at their new school.

Agree but the kid is apparently 4th string at PSU as a 4 star and is looking.   If he doesnt prove himself as a viable QB at NU he can reassess at that point.  I am not suggesting either way. Just commenting on an available 4 star QB that is eligible, available, etc and may be a fine prospect.  

Some players do in fact look at changing positions later.  Tony Veland is a great example.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Agree but the kid is apparently 4th string at PSU as a 4 star and is looking.   If he doesnt prove himself as a viable QB at NU he can reassess at that point.  I am not suggesting either way. Just commenting on an available 4 star QB that is eligible, available, etc and may be a fine prospect.  

Some players do in fact look at changing positions later.  Tony Veland is a great example.  

I don't think he would've switched if he had transferred though - I can't think of an example of a QB transferring, then seitching. If you're going to switch, might as well do it at your initial school with the staff you know and keep the year of eligibility. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't think he would've switched if he had transferred though - I can't think of an example of a QB transferring, then seitching. If you're going to switch, might as well do it at your initial school with the staff you know and keep the year of eligibility. 

I guess I didnt know he loses a year if he transfers with a release.  idk the rules on that.   

10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Tony Veland is a great example of a position change working out for the player, but he also suffered a major injury before the move, and by the time he came back Tommie Frazier had the QB job firmly in his grasp.

One other thing, it was over 25 years ago.  The mindset for the players (especially QBs) is completely different now.  I am not saying it's better or worse now, it's just the way things are.  They are going to want to find a school where they can be a QB.  They've trained their whole lives to be a QB, they don't want to move to a different position unless it's the last resort.

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

A 2019 4 star recruit that redshirted.   Had several notable offers besides PSU.  Nice size.  Dont recall that we recruited him though.  

They did, but his interest was lukewarm or partially interested at best. He made a mistake picking PSU when they already had a QB committed nearly a year ahead of his decision. I do think his ceiling is better at receiver though. Happy with McCaffery.

I understand how the kids get excited when all the recruiting hype / attention happens.  Too many “experts” say too many good things and kids start believing it all.  Then they get to school and reality hits em.  Its a big jump and all the players are darn good.  Probably a rude shock.  Some may not want to accept that it wont be easy nor quick.  Easy to transfer and prove everybody else was right instead of the coach. 

• 2 weeks later...