All hail the transfer portal....

3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Honestly Frost needs to do whatever results in having the best talent on the field. So many people are worried about hurting feelings and kids transferring. If they are good enough they will play. We need to start worrying about winning and not about oh well if we take a transfer will our freshman leave? s#!t he will probably transfer anyway- look around college football. Kids are bolting teams left and right. So while other programs are taking transfers that can help them win by being a starter or provide depth. We worry if we will piss off our mid 3 star players 

I agree that they should get the best talent on the field. However, in developing a program we cannot rely on hitting a home run with the JC & transfer market every time. This staff has shown mediocre success in finding JC and transfer players who have come in and made an impact. Some have been great additions (ie - Honas, D. Williams, Daniels & Mills). Others show a little  promise so far (Martin, Payne, Vokolek) while even more have gone relatively unnoticed (Bell, Cooper, Green, Noa, Manning, Joseph, Mauga-Clements, Riley, Nouili, Bubak, Woodyard, Williams, etc.). Still time for some of the JC/transfers to make an impact but the track record of the staff hitting gems is pretty weak. Unfortunately, this staff does not have the evaluation talent that Pelini had regarding JC players.

I realize that some transfers could be impact players for us but it has to be the right fit. I hope they do their due diligence on the transfer and JC markets if they intend to bring anyone in at their positions. Personally, I am giving the benefit of the doubt to Fisher and the defensive coaches that they recruited well already. Now hopefully we get a normal year with spring football and fall camp to get the young guns ready to roll come next season.

14 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

You're right on the depth aspect after many of the Miami kids left but overall, DBs are a relatively impressive group: Cam, Newsome, Farmer, NPG, Clark, Gifford, Joseph & Lynum. Unproven in many cases but a lot to like from the group. 

Like Junior College recruits, I think we should only take one if that person can be an immediate improvement. Any of the four mentioned could be improvements but we would need to be very picky if we chase after them. I'd hate to see a young but developing player (like an NPG, Newsome or Lynum) transfer because we chase after a one and done transfer. 

I like a lot of our young DBs but they were either hurt or haven't seen the field yet. 

CTB - baller 

Farmer - season ending injury 

Clark - season ending injury 

Wright - season ending injury

Newsome - saw some PT

Pola Gates - no PT

Gifford - no PT

Lynum - no PT

Jospeh - no PT

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I like a lot of our young DBs but they were either hurt or haven't seen the field yet. 

CTB - baller 

Newsome - saw some PT

Pola Gates - no PT

Gifford - no PT

Lynum - no PT

Jospeh - no PT

Agreed, which was part of the point in my response. If a transfer is a stud and wants to come here, yes take him. But that transfer must be better than the guys we already have in the program or else it is unnecessary to take transfer projects at this stage.

3 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

CTB - baller 

Newsome - saw some PT

Pola Gates - no PT

Gifford - no PT

Lynum - no PT

Jospeh - no PT

Young but I think there is a lot of talent about to come up. Color me excited if CTB stays 

• Plus1 2

• 2 weeks later...

12 minutes ago, Decked said:

Another FCS 1,000 yard WR & Henry To’oto’o LB from Tenn entered the portal. Henry is gonna be an NFL LB. Idc if we don’t need another ILB you try and snag him and move Reimer or Heinrich to OLB if you need to. 

How confident are teams that none of the Tennessee recruits will also face some discipline? For all I know To'oto'o's recruitment was totally clean, but the McDonald's bags of cash went to some players and he was as surprising a pull as any they got. I'd imagine he's not coming here either way though.

16 hours ago, Decked said:

Another FCS 1,000 yard WR & Henry To’oto’o LB from Tenn entered the portal. Henry is gonna be an NFL LB. Idc if we don’t need another ILB you try and snag him and move Reimer or Heinrich to OLB if you need to. 

To'oto'o' is one of the best linebackers in the country. If he wants to come here I'll buy him a car (just kidding)