All hail the transfer portal....

Do outside linebackers not enter the portal or what.  Both our oLB's have improved but neither one is going to be the pass rusher we need.  Would also be really nice to grab a good Offensive lineman.  The way I look at it there are 3 openings along the line.  Don't really care about running back because behind this line anyone is going to look pedestrian. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Do outside linebackers not enter the portal or what.  Both our oLB's have improved but neither one is going to be the pass rusher we need.  Would also be really nice to grab a good Offensive lineman.  The way I look at it there are 3 openings along the line.  Don't really care about running back because behind this line anyone is going to look pedestrian. 

Any good pass rusher could go to any school they choose, and are few and far between.  Nebraska is about not appealing at the moment and thus is about the 30th choice. 

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If I had the time I would love to break down the portal by position.  My theory is the prima donna positions have the highest number.  QB's, WR's  and RB's.

Again, just a theory.

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm actually very surprised at how many OU players are already starting to leave and they don't even know who their coach is going to be yet.

Illinois had like 10 players in the portal and Bielema convinced most of them to stay - it's a win-win to enter the portal now for the players. They get to see what else is out there, force the new coach to re-recruit them, and if they like what he's selling they can come back. If they wait until the new guy is hired to enter the prtal, I think it's a little harder to come back from. 

• Plus1 3
38 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Illinois had like 10 players in the portal and Bielema convinced most of them to stay - it's a win-win to enter the portal now for the players. They get to see what else is out there, force the new coach to re-recruit them, and if they like what he's selling they can come back. If they wait until the new guy is hired to enter the prtal, I think it's a little harder to come back from. 

Very true, and good point.  However, that doesn't come without some risk for the player too.  What if the new coach doesn't want them and they end up at a lower level program?  Most in the portal do.

51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Very true, and good point.  However, that doesn't come without some risk for the player too.  What if the new coach doesn't want them and they end up at a lower level program?  Most in the portal do.

They're not really out anything, they'd have a head start in the portal on whatever opportunities are out there. The only risk in entering it right now is if the new coach takes offense and says anyone in the portal has to leave. Which isn't likely IMO, and many of them probably want to anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

They're not really out anything, they'd have a head start in the portal on whatever opportunities are out there. The only risk in entering it right now is if the new coach takes offense and says anyone in the portal has to leave. Which isn't likely IMO, and many of them probably want to anyway. 

The head coach can be choosy as to who he wants back.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

The head coach can be choosy as to who he wants back.

Right, but he can do that whether they're already in the portal or not. I'd rather have a chance to see what's out there and potentially be swayed back than be told "you should probably look for somewhere else to go" after the new guy is hired. Being in the portal doesn't forfeit your scholarship, they can remove their names at any time.