Thurston from Pender

Replacements for Miles

If I'm Moos, I throw everything I've got at Dana Altman, and see where it goes. The Pac-12 is trash, and he may entertain the idea to come home, while competing in one of the best basketball conferences in the country. Maybe you could even get Frost in on the recruitment.... The "Nebraska boys coming home" pitch. 

I'm not sure why anybody would want Ty Lue. Just because Lebron dragged his a$$ to couple a Finals appearances?  He's never coached in college basketball before. Maybe he'd be great, I just don't see the appeal there.

Edit: Roll your eyes all you want @Thurston from Pender :lol: .... Altman would be a better option than a guy who couldn't even keep his job at UCLA.

Edit #2: Alford would likely be more successful than Miles, though. If that was your original point.

• Plus1 1
  • Eyeroll 1

It would take lots and lots of money and good persuasion to get Altman to Nebraska. He did NOT like UNL when he was at Creighton. Not one bit.

Dana took OR to the Final Four. And the weakness of the PAC 10 is an asset. Who can beat OR? In the Big Ten, it is much, much different.

1 minute ago, Thurston from Pender said:

It would take lots and lots of money and good persuasion to get Altman to Nebraska. He did NOT like UNL when he was at Creighton. Not one bit.

Dana took OR to the Final Four. And the weakness of the PAC 10 is an asset. Who can beat OR? In the Big Ten, it is much, much different.

I don't think he'd come here. It would just be the first call I'd make if I were Moos.

2 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Gregg Marshall at Wichita. Team would be very tough.

He could have left a few years ago when his star was burning brightest. I think he likes where he's at.

In all honesty, it'll probably be another mid-major coach, and we'll have to hope he'll finally be the one that can make it on the big stage.

4 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Gregg Marshall at Wichita. Team would be very tough.

nope, he is a southern guy who really doesnt like the cold in the midwest. he does however like wichita, as does his wife. if he does jump it would most likely be to a blue blood type school with minimal rebuild. he's already built two teams up. football schools are most likely out as he likes having the basketball team being the spotlight, second fiddle just isnt his thing. lastly, how well would it go over with frost having the school pay the basketball coach as much as him.

4 minutes ago, desertshox said:

nope, he is a southern guy who really doesnt like the cold in the midwest. he does however like wichita, as does his wife. if he does jump it would most likely be to a blue blood type school with minimal rebuild. he's already built two teams up. football schools are most likely out as he likes having the basketball team being the spotlight, second fiddle just isnt his thing. lastly, how well would it go over with frost having the school pay the basketball coach as much as him.

Wichita, KS isn't exactly an oasis during the winter months. They get snow, and it's regularly below freezing during the winter.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Wichita, KS isn't exactly an oasis during the winter months. They get snow, and it's regularly below freezing during the winter.

i know. i just am spewing forth everything i read about why 3G stays in wichita every year when his name comes up in coaching searches. and i had already tried the negative strategy.

Gregg Marshall isn't leaving Wichita State for Nebraska, so let's stop with that assumed narrative. 

You can shoot your shot at Altman, but as some have already said, it's much more advantageous for him to be at Oregon than at Nebraska. 

I think Moos is going to have to look at mid-Majors and at assistant coaches. Oats at Buffalo would probably be a very good place to start. 

17 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Ya but it is quite a difference. More like a 45 day winter instead of the 120 day version.  

2 hours ago, desertshox said:

nate oats (courtesy of a few other posters, notably teach)

Honestly, that was someone else.  I didn't really know who he was.

I could see Marshall leaving now though, dude knows that job sucks.

6 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Marshall will not leave,  he's to scared to coach in big conference.  This is not like football,  as our basketball has no tradition. 

That is an interesting take...Hmmmm

Might be right.

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

That is an interesting take...Hmmmm

Might be right.

You need to find someone who wants to compete with the big boys in college bb. Not big on a lot of names being brought up,  but oates is intriguing.

53 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Marshall will not leave,  he's to scared to coach in big conference.  This is not like football,  as our basketball has no tradition. 

this deserves an eye roll but it wont be from me. i have read asinine statements before but that takes the cake. marshall not leaving WSU has nothing to do with being scared of playing in a supposed big conference.

3 minutes ago, desertshox said:

this deserves an eye roll but it wont be from me. i have read asinine statements before but that takes the cake. marshall not leaving WSU has nothing to do with being scared of playing in a supposed big conference.

He's had lots of offers with lots of money.  Enough said

Just now, SouthLincoln Husker said:

He's had lots of offers with lots of money.  Enough said

and none of them have been the one he is looking for. he isnt looking to build another program. he isnt looking at going to a school that basketball is a second class citizen at best. his next move will most likely be back east to a traditional basketball school, if he moves at all. he is well paid at WSU and is basketball is "the show" there.

If I was going after big names...

Bruce Weber:  Knows the conference and would be a great fit.  I also think he might take it.

After that:  The dude from Eastern Tennessee (I think that is the school, dude can coach)

4 minutes ago, desertshox said:

and none of them have been the one he is looking for. he isnt looking to build another program. he isnt looking at going to a school that basketball is a second class citizen at best. his next move will most likely be back east to a traditional basketball school, if he moves at all. he is well paid at WSU and is basketball is "the show" there.

Difference of opinion

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Bruce Weber:  Knows the conference and would be a great fit.  I also think he might take it.

After that:  The dude from Eastern Tennessee (I think that is the school, dude can coach)

If I were going after big names.... Coach K:D

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, The Murphinator said:

Heck lets go get Brad Stevens from the Celtics

Now you're talking! How many bazillions do we've got to spend?!

First choices. Altman and Hoiberg.

After that, I’d consider a top assistant from an elite school over a mid major HC. I’d rather have a coach that’s done it before at a major school than risk it with another mid-major guy.

55 minutes ago, Roger Dorn said:

First choices. Altman and Hoiberg.

After that, I’d consider a top assistant from an elite school over a mid major HC. I’d rather have a coach that’s done it before at a major school than risk it with another mid-major guy.

Altman hates the huskers & Hoiberg is not coming out of the nba.  Oats , or mussleman

• Plus1 2

FWIW- My aquarium guy said to watch the Altman thing closely.  Apparently, Oregon may be on the road to some sanctions and Coach Altman would not like to be there when it happens- (I am not familiar with any investigation) and Dana would not mind getting closer to home... Grandkids in the area?  I can not confirm the grandkid part, but the talk with Altman last year was there, but there was NOT an opening, so he said 'pass"... I was told talks died down a couple weeks ago and now we are "talking" again. ....My .02 is Miles will/should be let go the moment we are announced that Nebraska will be in NIT... this would allow Moos to proceed freely and compete with other openings throughout the landscape....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If I'm Moos, I throw everything I've got at Dana Altman, and see where it goes. The Pac-12 is trash, and he may entertain the idea to come home, while competing in one of the best basketball conferences in the country. Maybe you could even get Frost in on the recruitment.... The "Nebraska boys coming home" pitch. 

I'm not sure why anybody would want Ty Lue. Just because Lebron dragged his a$$ to couple a Finals appearances?  He's never coached in college basketball before. Maybe he'd be great, I just don't see the appeal there.

I would also be concerned about how in 2018 he has to take time off for “health reasons”. I’m not going to take the time to look it up but if I recall correct wasn’t it from anxiety type symptoms? I would want a coach like that leading my program of high expectations that is for damn sure. 

Hoiberg is my #1 pick and I would think would have to be Moos’ first call. Doubt he comes because of his hatred of recruiting. But he is the top guy IMO in terms of a top tier coach we have a chance to land if we write a big check. A low chance, but a chance. 

5 minutes ago, Bad2theBONES said:

I would also be concerned about how in 2018 he has to take time off for “health reasons”. I’m not going to take the time to look it up but if I recall correct wasn’t it from anxiety type symptoms? I would want a coach like that leading my program of high expectations that is for damn sure. 

Hoiberg is my #1 pick and I would think would have to be Moos’ first call. Doubt he comes because of his hatred of recruiting. But he is the top guy IMO in terms of a top tier coach we have a chance to land if we write a big check. A low chance, but a chance. 

And 50% of the job is recruiting,  rest my case as he is not leaving the nba.

Selling our souls part deux.

Said coach we are looking for also is two time NCAA title winner.  Outside shooting probably changes with him coaching as well as he was one of the first to promote attacking relentlessly from downtown and his teams shot a lot of them.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Said coach we are looking for also is two time NCAA title winner.  Outside shooting probably changes with him coaching as well as he was one of the first to promote attacking relentlessly from downtown and his teams shot a lot of them.

tenor.gif

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, PaulCrewe said:

He can have all the private dining he desires at Misty's!

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

And 50% of the job is recruiting,  rest my case as he is not leaving the nba.

Wow big risk making that prediction and playing those odds. That’s why I said a low chance there Smart 

He can hate recruiting all he wants. But seems to me like his NBA coaching career isn’t off to a stellar start. Bulls’ front office didn’t help him any, but players also said he couldn’t control the locker room. Controlling kids in college who see the coach as an opportunity to make it big is a hell of a lot easier than controlling grown men who are already millionaires. He wants to coach NBA, but does anyone want him? I am only asking SouthLincoln Husker cause he has all of the answers to the really tough questions. 

• Plus1 1

I think, just a guess, that Fred would rather just take an office position again in the NBA

Pitino would be an amazing hire and the doods that are all about "integrity" and stuff, you need to realize that the cheating is already going on, yes, even at NU.

Is there a chance it could be Kenya Hunter? When he left, with his son transferring from Lincoln High to Creighton Prep (and winning Class A State, as a junior) I thought it was a statement move, saying he thought he was going to take over the Cornhuskers after LAST year. This year, he has a year at UCONN to add to his resume and his son is a Senior. He’s a terrific  recruiter. Moos was not ready to overhaul BB so soon - football still had most of his attention. He may have conducted a warm exit interview with Kenya.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Is there a chance it could be Kenya Hunter? When he left, with his son transferring from Lincoln High to Creighton Prep (and winning Class A State, as a junior) I thought it was a statement move, saying he thought he was going to take over the Cornhuskers after LAST year. This year, he has a year at UCONN to add to his resume and his son is a Senior. He’s a terrific  recruiter. Moos was not ready to overhaul BB so soon - football still had most of his attention. He may have conducted a warm exit interview with Kenya.

Interesting!

Never even thought of that.

15 hours ago, teachercd said:

Steve Forbes is his name.  He is going to get a bigger job sooner than later.

Just now, Omaha-Husker said:

Steve Forbes is his name.  He is going to get a bigger job sooner than later.

Yes, thank you!  He can flat out coach!  I am not sure if he is a southern guy or not but he gets it.