Replacements for Miles

On 2/5/2019 at 3:34 PM, Sker4Ever said:

I'm afraid Porter Moser could be in play

On 2/6/2019 at 10:25 AM, desertshox said:

why? just why? might as well just drop basketball if you dont want to even try to be good.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:29 AM, teachercd said:

That would be such a dud of a hire.  He could turn into a Bruce Weber type...comes from a smaller program...plays tough defense and recruits kids that he knows will fit.  Or he could be like most of those mid-major coaches that jump up and never do anything.

Dude's got more tournament wins in one year than Nebraska does in it's history; let's not be too picky here. 

7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Dude's got more tournament wins in one year than Nebraska does in it's history; let's not be too picky here. 

True, but I don't like the idea of trying to sell NU as this sad pathetic program.  

They are in the best (or second best) conference for basketball, they have amazing support with fantastic facilities.  I get the "history" part but look at the teams with top 25 classes last year...

LSU

Miss State

Providence

Bama

WKU

It isn't like kids are sitting around dreaming about the history of those schools.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

True, but I don't like the idea of trying to sell NU as this sad pathetic program.  

They are in the best (or second best) conference for basketball, they have amazing support with fantastic facilities.  I get the "history" part but look at the teams with top 25 classes last year...

LSU

Miss State

Providence

Bama

WKU

It isn't like kids are sitting around dreaming about the history of those schools.

I'm in 100% agreement with you, but still, there's no amount of lipstick that will make the only pig that hasn't won a tournament game look good. 

19 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm in 100% agreement with you, but still, there's no amount of lipstick that will make the only pig that hasn't won a tournament game look good. 

As a coach I would think that looks great.  As mentioned we have the fan support, AD support, facilities, ample time, everything.  But get a load of this, the expectations are wanting to make the tourney and win a game.  Literally come to a P5 program and don’t have to worry about winning the B1G, don’t have to worry about making it to the sweet 16, elite 8, etc.  The expectations are only to win a tournament game and make the tourney every 2-3 years or so, and when that happens, you’ve set yourself up pretty nicely for a more name brand basketball school along with going down in Nebraska history.  

• Plus1 5
6 minutes ago, Blackshirts007 said:

As a coach I would think that looks great.  As mentioned we have the fan support, AD support, facilities, ample time, everything.  But get a load of this, the expectations are wanting to make the tourney and win a game.  Literally come to a P5 program and don’t have to worry about winning the B1G, don’t have to worry about making it to the sweet 16, elite 8, etc.  The expectations are only to win a tournament game and make the tourney every 2-3 years or so, and when that happens, you’ve set yourself up pretty nicely for a more name brand basketball school along with going down in Nebraska history.  

And to be considered a success you simply have to make the tournament out of a league that might send 9-10 teams this year.

Finish in the middle of the league, win about 20 games, make the tournament, win one of those games in the next couple years = you're a hero.  Not exactly the highest bar to get over.

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And to be considered a success you simply have to make the tournament out of a league that might send 9-10 teams this year.

Finish in the middle of the league, win about 20 games, make the tournament, win one of those games in the next couple years = you're a hero.  Not exactly the highest bar to get over.

At this point I'd be happy with a coach that ran a cohesive offense.

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

LSU

Miss State

Providence

Bama

WKU

Let's be honest though--three of those schools operate in a conference where they have a "Bagman of the Year" award. An excellent Bagman will help any kid overlook a school's history...or lack thereof. 

Providence and WKU are the real interesting movers here. 

3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Since when are people smearing stacks of $100 dollar bills on the lips of pigs and calling it lipstick?

'Cause we do have money to burn here, folks, and it doesn't make sense to cheapen out if we're legitimately going to try and make the tournament. 

7 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I like Thunder Dan at GCU.  I think people would be excited over that hire, especially if he had assistants with good recruiting ties to the area.  The chances of him leaving the state of Arizona?  Not sure about that.

Dude owns like 25% of Zona...He is tied to Jerry Colangelo who basically started/owns that GCU program.  I don't think he is going anywhere but it would be an interesting hire.

I'd like to see Nebraska make a run at someone like Frank Martin.  Did a really nice job at KState and pretty much built things from scratch at South Carolina.  Dude is a heckuva coach.

Other names (total speculation obviously)

Thad Matta

I thought maybe Nebraska could make a Godfather type offer to Buzz Williams at VT but he's already making $2.6mm and signed an amended contract through 2022 that will pay him $3.3mm.  Nebraska would have to offer something in the $4mm + range which is essentially Tom Izzo level money and would put the NU coach in top 10 almost top 5 pay-wise.

I do wonder if you threw a bunch of cash at a dude like Mick Cronin from Cincy.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I like Thunder Dan at GCU.  I think people would be excited over that hire, especially if he had assistants with good recruiting ties to the area.  The chances of him leaving the state of Arizona?  Not sure about that.

Hes already turned down way better jobs than Nebraska to remain in AZ