Replacements for Miles

5 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I'm all for the feel good fans... jump on the bandwagon right now.   When it ends,  take a step back and evaluate the season like BM has to.  It was rough...  They're really is no choice unless we have a fairytale type of ending where we win the conference.... and win a game in the tournament.   

Yep....

enjoy the fun fun here at the end of the season. 

There will be time to evaluate when it’s all over. 

11 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Pretty sure that was the narrative of the Message Board Warriors who think they own the team. If things don't go their way I'd suggest turning in their tickets and letting some kids have the seats.... the average fan age shouldn't be 65 anyway. If Moos decides he can get a better coach, I'm okay with that too.

Are the message board warriors responsible for the last 7 years of sub-par results as well?  Or responsible for us being bottom 4 ranked and in the play in game round of BIG tourney 5 out of those 7 seasons?   If not, who is? 

9 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Our team just wins 3 games, are having the time of their lives, and the first thing you thing to do is get on here and make sure everybody knows you think the coach should be fired. I think you should be fired.

I don't want you to be defensive about what I am going to ask. I just want you to seriously reflect on this and answer honestly. I cant remember if it was you or someone else posted about Miles has coached his a$$ off the last few games and the players are playing for their coach now. Do you really believe they are playing for their coach or are you just trying to get a rise out of people on here? 

Think about it. If they truly loved their coach why did they take the 2nd half of the season off? Players who love their coach typically love their coach the whole season. They play the whole season inspired. Why would they tank and lose like 12 of 15 and get to an overall record of like 15-15, essentially ensuring Miles will be fired after the season. Then they out of nowhere "decided" to now play for their coach and show people how much they support him? If you ask me they gave up on him and the season and were going through the motions. They big 10 tourney came around and the players rallied around eachother and said lets see if we can make some noise before we graduate. Honestly I think that is all it is.

• Plus1 1

Miles was gone last August. The fact that anybody thinks that the way this season has gone would be enough to force an AD's hand to reconsider that baffles the mind. There is literally no way that it could feasibly go from here that would set in motion any deviation from the plan laid forth the minute the 1 year extension was given.  We will lose to Wisconsin today and, hopefully at that point those that are wondering 'if we win an NCAA title would it save Miles?" can finally rest easy knowing that miracle isn't riding in on a white horse this season. 

21 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I don't want you to be defensive about what I am going to ask. I just want you to seriously reflect on this and answer honestly. I cant remember if it was you or someone else posted about Miles has coached his a$$ off the last few games and the players are playing for their coach now. Do you really believe they are playing for their coach or are you just trying to get a rise out of people on here? 

Think about it. If they truly loved their coach why did they take the 2nd half of the season off? Players who love their coach typically love their coach the whole season. They play the whole season inspired. Why would they tank and lose like 12 of 15 and get to an overall record of like 15-15, essentially ensuring Miles will be fired after the season. Then they out of nowhere "decided" to now play for their coach and show people how much they support him? If you ask me they gave up on him and the season and were going through the motions. They big 10 tourney came around and the players rallied around eachother and said lets see if we can make some noise before we graduate. Honestly I think that is all it is.

Miles players love him I think but that doesnt mean they respect his ability as a coach.

Miles is a GREAT GUY. I hate all the "fire him" talk when I think about him as a person because he is an amazing person.

But I think the players lost faith in him as a coach and they just gave up. I think they like him but his coaching of X's and O's isnt good enough.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Miles players that stick around love him I think but that doesnt mean they respect his ability as a coach.

Miles public image projects that he is a GREAT GUY. I hate all the "fire him" talk when I think about him as a person because he is an amazing person.

But I think the players lost faith in him as a coach and they just gave up. I think they like him but his coaching of X's and O's isnt good enough.

FIFY

• Plus1 2
52 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I believe you might be quoting me (albeit incorrectly); because I used the phrase....."coaching his A$$ off".........

My INTENT was to be able to at least give Miles some credit for his strategies, game management and substitution rotations under really poor circumstances the last three games.

THAT is an entirely different argument than whether or not they were playing for themselves or TM. (although locker room post game videos....especially yesterday......SEEMED to indicate there is some genuine affection for their current coach). I don't think it is all that difficult to toss some crumbs to TM, even if he will almost certainly be gone. It also doesn't delve into why they weren't motivated throughout a woeful season. For the record, I too believed that Miles should have been gone last year........but understand the Moose problem of replacing two major sports coaches in the same year.......especially his first.

Life is not a zero sum game.........crediting Miles for hanging in there and helping all Nebraska fans enjoy the end of the season for a few more days doesn't mitigate his other issues for being a seven year .500 coach. Just enjoy the fact that this ending is much more enjoyable than most of us would have predicted just a week ago.

Just now, Minnesota_husker said:

Be curious if you know something I dont know that would make you say that Miles isnt a great guy?

I don't "know" anything.  I've just heard a couple times that there are things behind the scenes that paint a different picture.  In particular that may have been a contributing factor to the 2014-15 meltdown.

34 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't "know" anything.  I've just heard a couple times that there are things behind the scenes that paint a different picture.  In particular that may have been a contributing factor to the 2014-15 meltdown.

I have heard he is really hard on his guys and intense in practice... 

I think certain kids have left because of that. 

I think most left because of his ability to grow their skills in the area they want to be great in. 

The "you make one mistake and dont see the court for two games but then the next game you see 20 minutes" thing really messed with kids.

One of the reasons I think the guys are playing so well now is they know he cant bench them for making a mistake. 

2 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I have heard he is really hard on his guys and intense in practice... 

I think certain kids have left because of that. 

I think most left because of his ability to grow their skills in the area they want to be great in. 

The "you make one mistake and dont see the court for two games but then the next game you see 20 minutes" thing really messed with kids.

One of the reasons I think the guys are playing so well now is they know he cant bench them for making a mistake. 

I definitely think there has to be a decent amount of that in play.  You don't get so many guys who were major contributors/playing a lot to leave if there wasn't.

But what I've heard is other stuff away from basketball.

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I definitely think there has to be a decent amount of that in play.  You don't get so many guys who were major contributors/playing a lot to leave if there wasn't.

But what I've heard is other stuff away from basketball.

I've heard a little of that too. Not going to get into it too much because I have no hard proof. Plus I have a haircut appointment to get to.

• Haha 1