Replacements for Miles

I think it's going to be incredibly difficult to justify retaining Miles:

- he finished 12th or worse in five of his seven seasons at Nebraska

- his record is .500 in those seven seasons

- in a clear 'make or break it' year, with essentially his most talented roster at Nebraska, they fell apart

The performance evidence is largely against him. If people didn't like Miles as a person, would they be OK with these results? And the upcoming NIT is a very small portion of the overall body of work. Does any result there significantly alter perception?

There's really no excuse for a program with Nebraska's resources and capabilities to have never won a tournament game, and to not make the tournament on a somewhat consistent basis. Is Miles the guy to make that happen? The evidence suggests no.

• Plus1 3

16 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

He left on Thursday for a game that takes place on Saturday. 

He easily could have left today but sure does feel like he booked his flight in advance thinking we would lose day 1.

Its not a good look from Moos. 

Well, it does seem like that.  I feel like Moos probably has enough pocket change to cover the cost of changing tickets if that were the case.  And, in an interview, Tim Miles said he completely understands, and that if he had a son playing in a Spring game, he'd definitely want to be there too.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I think it's going to be incredibly difficult to justify retaining Miles:

- he finished 12th or worse in five of his seven seasons at Nebraska

- his record is .500 in those seven seasons

- in a clear 'make or break it' year, with essentially his most talented roster at Nebraska, they fell apart

The performance evidence is largely against him. If people didn't like Miles as a person, would they be OK with these results? And the upcoming NIT is a very small portion of the overall body of work. Does any result there significantly alter perception?

There's really no excuse for a program with Nebraska's resources and capabilities to have never won a tournament game, and to not make the tournament on a somewhat consistent basis. Is Miles the guy to make that happen? The evidence suggests no.

My thoughts precisely.  I love the Tim Miles persona.   But I doubt Moos is making his decision based on the Big10 tourney, nor the possible NIT appearance.  He has seven years of data on which to base his decision.  I'd like to believe that the decision was made prior to the Big 10 tournament.

15 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Are all the good feelings gone from the big Rutgers win and Maryland upset? Just curious if anyone still thinks the tide has turned to keep Miles? 

I personally dont understand people turning business into a good guy debate. Some think miles is a nice guy and tries hard so we should continue to pay him millions even though he doesn’t produce? There was Riley apologists too. 

Its business. You don’t produce your fired. It’s simple. 

One of the dumbest words used in these discussions. Just because someone isn’t supporting a coaching change.....they are apologizing for the coach? Doesn’t make sense. 

Even though I really enjoyed watching the last four games, the last half of the season isn’t forgotten. 

From what has been said publicly, by both the ad department and miles, I think there has already been a discussion where miles knew he had to have a real special Cinderella ending to the season where we qualify for the tourney and win some games, or he will be replaced. 

Everyone knows the reality. 

The only reason he’s not fired yet is because he will coach the NIT if they get in. 

And, why not, the new coach is probably still coaching too and the players want him here. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Slow yer Roll said:

So who is a legitimate good coach that would come to NE?

Its almost like you have to take a gamble on a talented up, and comer?

It not like there's great risk involved  trying something different.

If they open the checkbook a bit,  I don't see why they couldn't get a good,  proven coach to come.  The facilities and fan support are at sleeping giant level.  Recruit halfway decently and develop/have some coaching chops you most likely will become the best in school history. 

One sweet sixteen and you get a statue.  

18 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

One of the dumbest words used in these discussions. Just because someone isn’t supporting a coaching change.....they are apologizing for the coach? Doesn’t make sense. 

Even though I really enjoyed watching the last four games, the last half of the season isn’t forgotten. 

From what has been said publicly, by both the ad department and miles, I think there has already been a discussion where miles knew he had to have a real special Cinderella ending to the season where we qualify for the tourney and win some games, or he will be replaced. 

Everyone knows the reality. 

The only reason he’s not fired yet is because he will coach the NIT if they get in. 

And, why not, the new coach is probably still coaching too and the players want him here. 

I agree with everything you said.  But I'm not sure about the bolded; what would you call a person that wants Miles retained if not an "apologist"?  

a·pol·o·gist
/əˈpäləjəst/
noun

1. a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.
    "an enthusiastic apologist for fascism in the 1920s"
  • Fire 1