Replacements for Miles

12 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Also, how is what he is doing editorialism? I’m not sure you understand what your saying...

Editorialism is opinionated or persuasive writing, and columnists usually write persuasive commentaries or op-eds. These are core industry concepts. Google them if you don't believe me. If you want to criticize his opinions, have at it, because that's his job to be opinionated. But, there's a difference between this Dirk article (which is more of a commentary) vs. what reporters write (which are news articles).

You're criticizing him for being opinionated when that's literally part of his job.

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Editorialism is opinionated or persuasive writing, and columnists usually write persuasive commentaries or op-eds. These are core industry concepts. Google them if you don't believe me. If you want to criticize his opinions, have at it, because that's his job to be opinionated. But, there's a difference between this Dirk article (which is more of a commentary) vs. what reporters write (which are news articles).

I too get frustrated when people think that all writers/media members are the same and have the same job responsibilities.  In Nebraska print media, guys like Shatel, Sipple, and Chatelain are opinion guys.  Their job is to write opinion articles or like Chatelain, do deep-dive stories, but not give wrote, factual data.  The "beat" writers are McKewon, Heady, and Bland for OWH and Parker Gabriel and some other guy for LJS (after Brian Christopherson) left about a year ago.  The beat writers are the guys who are supposed to give the factual data about the team, coaches, and players.

• Plus1 3
7 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm utterly amazed at how much Stan-ing the media, both locally and nationally, is doing for Miles. 

They act like his is being done wrong.  If you looked at his salary per win, he’s probably in the top 10.  Around $125K per win this year.

In Moos we trust.  Go finish out season for your kids Coach Miles.  

Some like to tell us how good Miles is, how well liked and respected he is in the industry. If all that is true I see no reason why he shouldn’t land another P5 job after we fire him!! If not maybe the people who said that are just competing coaches who like us to stay as an easy win. Lots of opposing coaches really like mike Riley too 

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Some like to tell us how good Miles is, how well liked and respected he is in the industry. If all that is true I see no reason why he shouldn’t land another P5 job after we fire him!! If not maybe the people who said that are just competing coaches who like us to stay as an easy win. Lots of opposing coaches really like mike Riley too 

Your post literally describes Mike Riley and why other coaches liked him, exactly what I have been saying about Tim for 4 years. 

Lots of people have confusion regaring reporting versus public relations on several Nebraska basketball comment boards online.  Lars Anderson and others aren't obligated to carry water for the university.  Lars is reporting information as should be expected.  If you want PR, look to columns from Randy York.  Coach Miles also knows what the game and business is, win games and develop student athletes to the best of their ability.  When you don't do that at a high level consistently with comparison to peers, scrutiny comes  and replacement talks commence.  If AD Bill Moos waits and Fred Hoiberg ends up in Westwood or elsewhere, the same people would be criticizing him for not moving fast enough.  I'm thankful we have a proactive and not reactive leader at AD, there are enough dime-a-dozen leaders at businesses around the country who don't have the foresight or willingness to spend money to be greater.  It's refreshing to see Nebraska, flush with new Big Ten money as a fully vested member, not treat basketball as an afterthough to football.  A willingness to pay market value and try to get the program to the best it can be.  It hasn't been that way throughout the years.  It's exciting times as a #GBR fan.

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Lots of people have confusion regaring reporting versus public relations on several Nebraska basketball comment boards online.  Lars Anderson and others aren't obligated to carry water for the university.  Lars is reporting information as should be expected.  If you want PR, look to columns from Randy York.  Coach Miles also knows what the game and business is, win games and develop student athletes to the best of their ability.  When you don't do that at a high level consistently with comparison to peers, scrutiny comes  and replacement talks commence.  If AD Bill Moos waits and Fred Hoiberg ends up in Westwood or elsewhere, the same people would be criticizing him for not moving fast enough.  I'm thankful we have a proactive and not reactive leader at AD, there are enough dime-a-dozen leaders at businesses around the country who don't have the foresight or willingness to spend money to be greater.  It's refreshing to see Nebraska, flush with new Big Ten money as a fully vested member, not treat basketball as an afterthough to football.  A willingness to pay market value and try to get the program to the best it can be.  It hasn't been that way throughout the years.  It's exciting times as a #GBR fan.

Off topic love the name, I lived by tf g friend & i have drank with him. :waste

49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That's a small group to join.  However if you look at the attendance for Football, Women Volleyball and Men's Basketball - there is zero reason for NU to not be at the top of compensation for the group (I guess you could factor in cost of living - but lets don't)

So I still think there is way to much smoke around Hoiberg - including Moos today - to not think he's the prohibitive favorite.

But if Moos is serious about 7-14 days and not wanting to interfere with other coaches in-season, I wonder if he's still wanting to talk more to someone else still coaching.

• Altman would fit that description.  That seems unlikely given his recent extension but it would still be a possibility
  • Kelvin Sampson would fit the bill on-court but would seem to be stretching Moos' other statements concerning character
  • Buzz Williams would be possible but that wouldn't seem to make a lot of sense for him unless we significantly up his current $3M salary

I don't really see any other likely possibilities in the NCAA Tournament

But of course there's still the NIT

• Gregg Marshall?  Not quite as much as a year ago but possible
  • Jamie Dixon?  That would be .... ironic
  • Kevin Keatts?  No idea

Moos also mentioned an entertaining offense as something he'd look for.  Of those on that list, Oregon is only #212 in scoring this year.  Houston is #75 - good but not great.  Virginia Tech is #125.  Not a great showing from the NCAA Tourney guys.  

Wichita State is #212.  TCU is #95.  However, NC State is #25.

Who knows???

• Plus1 1