Thurston from Pender

Replacements for Miles

5 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

No way negotiating.  Maybe gauging interest.  And Altman would be a meh move

Not what I’m hearing. Pretty good source. 

If you are talking about Altman it would make sense in the fact that he would be coming home and that it would be his retirement tour.

Would the fanbase be excited about Altman?

On 2/5/2019 at 3:34 PM, Sker4Ever said:

I'm afraid Porter Moser could be in play

On 2/6/2019 at 10:25 AM, desertshox said:

why? just why? might as well just drop basketball if you dont want to even try to be good.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:29 AM, teachercd said:

That would be such a dud of a hire.  He could turn into a Bruce Weber type...comes from a smaller program...plays tough defense and recruits kids that he knows will fit.  Or he could be like most of those mid-major coaches that jump up and never do anything.

Dude's got more tournament wins in one year than Nebraska does in it's history; let's not be too picky here. 

7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Dude's got more tournament wins in one year than Nebraska does in it's history; let's not be too picky here. 

True, but I don't like the idea of trying to sell NU as this sad pathetic program.  

They are in the best (or second best) conference for basketball, they have amazing support with fantastic facilities.  I get the "history" part but look at the teams with top 25 classes last year...

LSU

Miss State

Providence

Bama

WKU

It isn't like kids are sitting around dreaming about the history of those schools.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

True, but I don't like the idea of trying to sell NU as this sad pathetic program.  

They are in the best (or second best) conference for basketball, they have amazing support with fantastic facilities.  I get the "history" part but look at the teams with top 25 classes last year...

LSU

Miss State

Providence

Bama

WKU

It isn't like kids are sitting around dreaming about the history of those schools.

I'm in 100% agreement with you, but still, there's no amount of lipstick that will make the only pig that hasn't won a tournament game look good. 

4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm in 100% agreement with you, but still, there's no amount of lipstick that will make the only pig that hasn't won a tournament game look good. 

Ha!  That is true!

19 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

As a coach I would think that looks great.  As mentioned we have the fan support, AD support, facilities, ample time, everything.  But get a load of this, the expectations are wanting to make the tourney and win a game.  Literally come to a P5 program and don’t have to worry about winning the B1G, don’t have to worry about making it to the sweet 16, elite 8, etc.  The expectations are only to win a tournament game and make the tourney every 2-3 years or so, and when that happens, you’ve set yourself up pretty nicely for a more name brand basketball school along with going down in Nebraska history.  

• Plus1 5

6 minutes ago, Blackshirts007 said:

As a coach I would think that looks great.  As mentioned we have the fan support, AD support, facilities, ample time, everything.  But get a load of this, the expectations are wanting to make the tourney and win a game.  Literally come to a P5 program and don’t have to worry about winning the B1G, don’t have to worry about making it to the sweet 16, elite 8, etc.  The expectations are only to win a tournament game and make the tourney every 2-3 years or so, and when that happens, you’ve set yourself up pretty nicely for a more name brand basketball school along with going down in Nebraska history.  

And to be considered a success you simply have to make the tournament out of a league that might send 9-10 teams this year.

Finish in the middle of the league, win about 20 games, make the tournament, win one of those games in the next couple years = you're a hero.  Not exactly the highest bar to get over.

• Plus1 3

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And to be considered a success you simply have to make the tournament out of a league that might send 9-10 teams this year.

Finish in the middle of the league, win about 20 games, make the tournament, win one of those games in the next couple years = you're a hero.  Not exactly the highest bar to get over.

At this point I'd be happy with a coach that ran a cohesive offense.

2 hours ago, ECisGod said:

At this point I'd be happy with a coach that ran a cohesive offense.

This has been my biggest problem with Miles for several years. Talent is much improved but the offense is still a dumpster fire. 

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

LSU

Miss State

Providence

Bama

WKU

Let's be honest though--three of those schools operate in a conference where they have a "Bagman of the Year" award. An excellent Bagman will help any kid overlook a school's history...or lack thereof. 

Providence and WKU are the real interesting movers here. 

3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Since when are people smearing stacks of $100 dollar bills on the lips of pigs and calling it lipstick?

'Cause we do have money to burn here, folks, and it doesn't make sense to cheapen out if we're legitimately going to try and make the tournament. 

7 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I like Thunder Dan at GCU.  I think people would be excited over that hire, especially if he had assistants with good recruiting ties to the area.  The chances of him leaving the state of Arizona?  Not sure about that.

Dude owns like 25% of Zona...He is tied to Jerry Colangelo who basically started/owns that GCU program.  I don't think he is going anywhere but it would be an interesting hire.

I'd like to see Nebraska make a run at someone like Frank Martin.  Did a really nice job at KState and pretty much built things from scratch at South Carolina.  Dude is a heckuva coach.

Other names (total speculation obviously)

Thad Matta

I thought maybe Nebraska could make a Godfather type offer to Buzz Williams at VT but he's already making $2.6mm and signed an amended contract through 2022 that will pay him $3.3mm.  Nebraska would have to offer something in the $4mm + range which is essentially Tom Izzo level money and would put the NU coach in top 10 almost top 5 pay-wise.

I do wonder if you threw a bunch of cash at a dude like Mick Cronin from Cincy.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I like Thunder Dan at GCU.  I think people would be excited over that hire, especially if he had assistants with good recruiting ties to the area.  The chances of him leaving the state of Arizona?  Not sure about that.

Hes already turned down way better jobs than Nebraska to remain in AZ

1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

Hes already turned down way better jobs than Nebraska to remain in AZ

Thanks for the clarification but what were the jobs paying per year?  If Nebraska come through with a big boy offer in a big boy league...He's a competitor, at some point you would want to play the best, which I think most years is the ACC and Big Ten.  WAC is probably close to the same level as UNO in the Summit League.

2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I'd like to see Nebraska make a run at someone like Frank Martin.  Did a really nice job at KState and pretty much built things from scratch at South Carolina.  Dude is a heckuva coach.

Thad Matta

I thought maybe Nebraska could make a Godfather type offer to Buzz Williams at VT but he's already making $2.6mm and signed an amended contract through 2022 that will pay him $3.3mm.  Nebraska would have to offer something in the $4mm + range which is essentially Tom Izzo level money and would put the NU coach in top 10 almost top 5 pay-wise.

Mick doesn't seem to want to leave...I think he has things how he wants it at Cincy (getting JC dudes in is a snap) but he probably hates that horrible crap conference.

On 2/12/2019 at 9:46 AM, Xmas32 said:

Thad Matta

Mick Cronin makes Bo Pelini look like Tom Osborne. 

• Plus1 2

On 2/14/2019 at 9:39 AM, teachercd said:

I will say it again.  Steve Pickel (I think, the Rutgers coach)

Go get him...dude can coach.

Good history with Stony Brook. But on paper it looks like hasn’t done anything at Rutgers the last three years to warrant getting hired here. .456 winning percentage. 

2 hours ago, iLoveLamp said:

Good history with Stony Brook. But on paper it looks like hasn’t done anything at Rutgers the last three years to warrant getting hired here. .456 winning percentage. 

Yeah...but that place is a s#!thole.  Rutgers plays freaking hard.

I do agree that it would not be a hire that would get people excited and I think he is well respected in coaching circles but it would be a tough sell.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I do agree that it would not be a hire that would get people excited and I think he is well respected in coaching circles but it would be a tough sell.

The place may be undesirable, but the athletic recruiting radius dwarfs the vicinity Miles (or sucsessor) has to plow.

53 minutes ago, Comish said:

The place may be undesirable, but the athletic recruiting radius dwarfs the vicinity Miles (or sucsessor) has to plow.

Yes it does, very true.

I am just really high on the guy.  I won't be shocked to see Rutgers get 20 wins next season.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Sounds like a guy that went by MR around here - no thanks...

1 minute ago, GBRFAN said:

Sounds like a guy that went by MR around here - no thanks...

Man, I don't think so.  Maybe it just me but I am a fan of him.

So if we make post season play either NIT/NCAA do we still look for a replacement for Miles? Thoughts? 

Unless moos has someone that’s a big hire I’m not positive we do. 

45 minutes ago, iLoveLamp said:

So if we make post season play either NIT/NCAA do we still look for a replacement for Miles? Thoughts? 

Unless moos has someone that’s a big hire I’m not positive we do. 

I sure hope they replace him. 

If we make it to the tournament and win game it will be an amazing turn around...  would put Moos in a tough spot. 

32 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

If we make it to the tournament and win game it will be an amazing turn around...  would put Moos in a tough spot. 

Not really; if Nebraska somehow makes the NCAA tournament, AND wins a game, Miles isn't going anywhere unless he himself chooses to. 

My number one was Musselman, but he has better offers coming his way.

Oats is the man in my mind. You do not accidentally walk into Morgantown or the Carrier Dome and get wins. Especially with inferior talent to the teams you are playing. Also, they just put up 114, Nebraska could not dream of doing that right now. After that, I have no idea about who we would get. 

Tbh.  At this point I’d be happy with a coach that can recruit a big and 3 point shooters oh and know how to run an offense that’s not 4 guys passing the ball around like the globetrotters 

1 hour ago, HuskermanMike said:

My number one was Musselman, but he has better offers coming his way.

Oats is the man in my mind. You do not accidentally walk into Morgantown or the Carrier Dome and get wins. Especially with inferior talent to the teams you are playing. Also, they just put up 114, Nebraska could not dream of doing that right now. After that, I have no idea about who we would get. 

Also, they just put up 114, Nebraska could not dream of doing that right now.

THIS!

I'm afraid the Huskers couldn't put up 114 even if the other team failed to show up......