Replacements for Miles

4 hours ago, Omaha-Husker said:

People have mentioned a lot of the big names already, but a list of guys going to get a shot somewhere would include.

Mussleman at Nevada

Oats and Buffalo

Forbes at ETSU

Wes Miller at UNC Greensboro

I would give Thad Matta a call.  If he feels ready health wise to come back he could be a home run hire.

Miller is an east coast guy, but the other 3 grew up in the big 10 area. 

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

I don't think MIles is going to ever be the guy who wins 25 games in a season, but I don't know if we can get that guy to come here either.

Matta, has coached in Ohio, where there is ample recruiting.  Why would he come here where you have to work at recruiting nationally?

Finding that guy is not easy.  I think in some aspects we are better off with Miles, and not all at the same time.

There will be a rising coach who will want to come here to prove they can coach in the big 10.   We have good facilities and a great fab base.  And we are seeing more good d1 athletes in nebraska in both football & basketball.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

I don't think MIles is going to ever be the guy who wins 25 games in a season, but I don't know if we can get that guy to come here either.

Matta, has coached in Ohio, where there is ample recruiting.  Why would he come here where you have to work at recruiting nationally?

Finding that guy is not easy.  I think in some aspects we are better off with Miles, and not all at the same time.

So said Boise state before they hired Chris Peterson, so said Florida state before they hired Bobby Bowden. And so on 

The days of "no one will take that job" are over...the second a coach takes the NU job he is set for life...it will be a 5-6 contract for 1.5-3.0 million per year.

If it doesn't work out...worst case for that coach is they go back to being an asst or they get another HC gig.  Plus, right after the first year, no matter the record, they get a raise and another year (or two) added.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The days of "no one will take that job" are over...the second a coach takes the NU job he is set for life...it will be a 5-6 contract for 1.5-3.0 million per year.

If it doesn't work out...worst case for that coach is they go back to being an asst or they get another HC gig.  Plus, right after the first year, no matter the record, they get a raise and another year (or two) added.

That, with the added caveat that, if you win 1 tournament game, you're the best coach in program history AND set for life. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

Danny Manning?  Currently coaching at Wake Forest, where it's nestled around Duke and UNC along witih NC ST.  I think Manning would do better around here.  Coached Tulsa to a NCAA tourney, and I think did win a game.  

Ty Lue would be a great name, but don't think he would ever like the recruiting part.  Kelvin Sampson at Houston?  Former K-Stater Steve Henson at UTSA.  There are some good names out there.  Just find the right one.

23 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Danny Manning?  Currently coaching at Wake Forest, where it's nestled around Duke and UNC along witih NC ST.  I think Manning would do better around here.  Coached Tulsa to a NCAA tourney, and I think did win a game.  

Ty Lue would be a great name, but don't think he would ever like the recruiting part.  Kelvin Sampson at Houston?  Former K-Stater Steve Henson at UTSA.  There are some good names out there.  Just find the right one.

Manning would be a horrible hire...WF made a huge mistake.

Sampson would be amazing