Thurston from Pender

Replacements for Miles

1 minute ago, huskersrule95 said:

Don't they play in a conference full of teams that Danny Nee would call "cupcakes"? I don't see how you can be sure that success would transfer to a tough conference like the Big Ten? Good for him though, he had a great year.

1 minute ago, Thurston from Pender said:

I’m now thinking Miles stays.

Kinda looking that way isn't it. They say he has some good recruits coming in.

4 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

I’m now thinking Miles stays.

He's gonna need to win at least 4 more straight to have a shot. 

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

He needs to win tomorrow before we even think about his future. 

Shooter goes cold and team gets worked.  It’s inevitable.  If you count the end of the Iowa game that’s 3 games.  Odds are likely this won’t  continue.  I can’t see JPj keeping this up for 4 games in a row.

i hope he does though.  It’s fun.

9 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

He needs to win tomorrow before we even think about his future. 

You don't mind if I Keyboard Warrior with you? What do you base that on? Is Moos PMing you?

With the team he was given this year. There is no excuse for having to play 5 games in 5 days. Outside of winning the big ten. He’s gone. 

• Plus1 1

A win tomorrow probably means he's staying. As of now I would say it's probably 50/50. I do like the core of the team if Roby stays, though. Starting lineup of Roby Harris, Juco kid who's averaging like 25 a game, Allen, and someone else. I don't think the ceiling is as high as this years team, but they might be able to do something.

9 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

A win tomorrow probably means he's staying. As of now I would say it's probably 50/50. I do like the core of the team if Roby stays, though. Starting lineup of Roby Harris, Juco kid who's averaging like 25 a game, Allen, and someone else. I don't think the ceiling is as high as this years team, but they might be able to do something.

Burke, a transfer who was a big scorer  @ Robert Morris

TM isn't responsible for the run imo....  hope the kids continue though.   They are playing with fire and heart that we haven't seen for several weeks.   The right coach would have been getting that out of them all along. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

That extension is 2 years of miles salary

Moos probably told him to sign the extension to keep other schools "off his scent". The tentative deal could have already been struck.

Interesting article: https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/18/university-at-buffalo-mens-basketball-recruiting-junior-college-players/

and 2019 recruits: https://247sports.com/college/buffalo/Season/2019-Basketball/Commits/

• Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

TM isn't responsible for the run imo....  hope the kids continue though.   They are playing with fire and heart that we haven't seen for several weeks.   The right coach would have been getting that out of them all along. 

Bottom line is that kids play for themselves. They don't want their season to end. Question is: Does the credit go to the coach and their preparation, or is just a beneficiary of their moxie?

22 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I've been as tough on TM as anyone and a lot of the season is on him, but holy cow, he has coached his a$$ off these last 3 game and he deserves credit for that, at least.

The hugging videos of the coaches and players interacting in the post game locker room weren't "Fake News"...

3 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Kinda looking that way isn't it. They say he has some good recruits coming in.

What would lead you to believe it’s looking that way? We have a .500 record, no shot at the tourney? Beat the 1 team worse than you in the big 10 in Rutgers. Your best player plays a great game and you beat Maryland. That means all of a sudden miles can coach? Good recruits? Big deal. He had good talent this year and pissed it away 

7 minutes ago, Comish said:

I've been as tough on TM as anyone and a lot of the season is on him, but holy cow, he has coached his a$$ off these last 3 game and he deserves credit for that, at least.

The hugging videos of the coaches and players interacting in the post game locker room weren't "Fake News"...

He waited too long to coach his a$$ off. We were paying him to coach his a$$ off the last 7 years and got no return on our investment 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

What would lead you to believe it’s looking that way? We have a .500 record, no shot at the tourney? Beat the 1 team worse than you in the big 10 in Rutgers. Your best player plays a great game and you beat Maryland. That means all of a sudden miles can coach? Good recruits? Big deal. He had good talent this year and pissed it away 

Your best player plays a great game? Looks to some people like the whole team is playing for their coach. I don't care either way but they're making a case for him. It's just a gut feeling that the tide has turned.

1 hour ago, whateveritis1224 said:

It’s amazing how out of touch fans get because we win 3 games after losing like 12 of the last 15. Now all of a sudden people think he is going to stay. This season was a disaster and winning a quarter final game in the conference tourney does not make that go away. Make tourney or bust was the narrative before the season started. We are not going to the tourney 

• Plus1 4

2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Your best player plays a great game? Looks to some people like the whole team is playing for their coach. I don't care either way but they're making a case for him. It's just a gut feeling that the tide has turned.

Moos will judge the whole season. As well as the overall results of the last 7 years. Not get caught up in some wave of good feelings because we won a few games. The season was a disaster- that is what Miles will be judged on. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

It’s amazing how out of touch fans get because we win 3 games after losing like 12 of the last 15. Now all of a sudden people think he is going to stay. This season was a disaster and winning a quarter final game in the conference tourney does not make that go away. Make tourney or bust was the narrative before the season started. We are not going to the tourney 

Pretty sure that was the narrative of the Message Board Warriors who think they own the team. If things don't go their way I'd suggest turning in their tickets and letting some kids have the seats.... the average fan age shouldn't be 65 anyway. If Moos decides he can get a better coach, I'm okay with that too.

2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Pretty sure that was the narrative of the Message Board Warriors who think they own the team. If things don't go their way I'd suggest turning in their tickets and letting some kids have the seats.... the average fan age shouldn't be 65 anyway. If Moos decides he can get a better coach, I'm okay with that too.

Just curious. Given the facilities we have, fan attendance I believe is top 5 in the country. Do you think win 50% of your games is good enough? Do you think that is the ceiling of husker basketball and we just settle for that? Because if people think miles is the best we can do I say if you want to be great you have to expect greatness. If you settle for mediocrity that’s what you will get. 

We are in one of the premier basketball leagues, $$$ coming out our a$$, elite fan support and top notch facilities. Sorry but I expect more in the wins and losses. Our records do not line up with what we put into the program 

43 minutes ago, Comish said:

Iowa - Lights out shooting at the end.  They got worked most of the game.

I saw something interesting yesterday after the game on BTN.  After Miles got snipered running of the court, they had a camara in the locker room.  Miles ran in like a goof ball, that’s his deal, and the players sat in their chairs.  Their voices raised a bit and the tossed some water at him, but it just seemed weird.

Its just my opinion of what I saw but I agree with a few posters in here that they are playing for themselves (pride).

36 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Moos will judge the whole season. As well as the overall results of the last 7 years. Not get caught up in some wave of good feelings because we won a few games. The season was a disaster- that is what Miles will be judged on. 

He got a token one year extension last year because of situations like the last 3 game(last year was regular conference).  A one year was for him to prove himself.  He certainly did.  I’m with you.  Id be shocked if the “good feelings” keep his job after the dumpster fire that is 2018-19.

I heard on the radio this week that Nebraska has played on the first day of the B1G tourney 4 of the last 5 years.  This means they have been in the bottom 4 after the regular season 4 out of 5 years.

33 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

you keep asking why miles should be fired now let's hear why he shouldn't be fired? what kind of expectations would you put on the basketball program? like others have mentioned he has fan support, facilities and plays in one of the best conferences for basketball.

1 hour ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Yea, no. Moos probably already has a moving company packing up Miles' office as we speak. 

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Just curious. Given the facilities we have, fan attendance I believe is top 5 in the country. Do you think win 50% of your games is good enough? Do you think that is the ceiling of husker basketball and we just settle for that? Because if people think miles is the best we can do I say if you want to be great you have to expect greatness. If you settle for mediocrity that’s what you will get. 

We are in one of the premier basketball leagues, $$$ coming out our a$$, elite fan support and top notch facilities. Sorry but I expect more in the wins and losses. Our records do not line up with what we put into the program 

It depends on whether Moos can actually get a better coach or just feels pressured to go out and grab the latest mid-major star to please a bunch of overbearing Keyboard Warriors. The problem with message board design is that I've already answered this ten times in other threads.

Just now, desertshox said:

you keep asking why miles should be fired now let's hear why he shouldn't be fired? what kind of expectations would you put on the basketball program? like others have mentioned he has fan support, facilities and plays in one of the best conferences for basketball.

I didn't ask that.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

The problem with message board design is that I've already answered this ten times in other thread.

Being that you are the one challenging everyone, you may consider making it 11.

30 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Thank f#&%ing you Oregon

Seriously why were people wanting this other than he’s from Nebraska and he coached at Creighton?????  

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Being that you are the one challenging everyone, you may consider making it 11.

Our team just wins 3 games, are having the time of their lives, and the first thing you thing to do is get on here and make sure everybody knows you think the coach should be fired. I think you should be fired.

• Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 2

Really glad for Miles and the players that they're showing something extra to end the season. Maybe they are playing for their coach and maybe they did realize something that clicked.

Which is a thing to feel good about. But if you keep him around then you think that hot end will translate to the next season, and then it won't, we'll lose a bunch we shouldn't, and then maybe get hot again at the end of that season. Which makes you believe that will carry over into the season after. Rinse, wash, repeat.

• Plus1 2

41 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Our team just wins 3 games, are having the time of their lives, and the first thing you thing to do is get on here and make sure everybody knows you think the coach should be fired. I think you should be fired.

Good stuff.

Miles should have been fired last year after the dumpster fire way he ended the season.  It was too much for Moos to take on at the time (new football and basketball coaches).  He gave him a one year extension because he had to.  I actually agree with how Moos handled it.

Miles had to perform this year and he flat out hasn’t.  I’ve been very consistent in my stance all year.

Id love to explain to you very easily how Tim Miles basketball works.....One guy, in a pedestrian offense, shoots lights out and they win.  That player struggles and the get it handed to them.  See Petteway, Shields and Palmer.

Coach Riley, I mean Miles, is a career .500 coach that has had 7 years.  They’ve won 3 games, Iowa was a fluke, and we are ready to sign up for another year when we already know the result.....mediocrity(.500)?

EDIT:  Good for the players.  They are doing great.  The are outplaying their coach.  Especially that Trueblood kid.

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

I can't believe anyone thinks Miles is staying with anything less than winning the B1G tourney and 1 or 2 games in the dance. It ain't gonna happen unless our AD doesn't want anything more than the occasional NIT berth and being in the bottom third of the conference forever.

• Plus1 2

I'm all for the feel good fans... jump on the bandwagon right now.   When it ends,  take a step back and evaluate the season like BM has to.  It was rough...  They're really is no choice unless we have a fairytale type of ending where we win the conference.... and win a game in the tournament.   

5 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I'm all for the feel good fans... jump on the bandwagon right now.   When it ends,  take a step back and evaluate the season like BM has to.  It was rough...  They're really is no choice unless we have a fairytale type of ending where we win the conference.... and win a game in the tournament.   

Yep....

enjoy the fun fun here at the end of the season. 

There will be time to evaluate when it’s all over. 

11 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Are the message board warriors responsible for the last 7 years of sub-par results as well?  Or responsible for us being bottom 4 ranked and in the play in game round of BIG tourney 5 out of those 7 seasons?   If not, who is? 

You don’t make decisions on coaches based off one (or three) games. 

I trust Moos to do the right thing, but the Oats extension is disappointing 

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I don't want you to be defensive about what I am going to ask. I just want you to seriously reflect on this and answer honestly. I cant remember if it was you or someone else posted about Miles has coached his a$$ off the last few games and the players are playing for their coach now. Do you really believe they are playing for their coach or are you just trying to get a rise out of people on here? 

Think about it. If they truly loved their coach why did they take the 2nd half of the season off? Players who love their coach typically love their coach the whole season. They play the whole season inspired. Why would they tank and lose like 12 of 15 and get to an overall record of like 15-15, essentially ensuring Miles will be fired after the season. Then they out of nowhere "decided" to now play for their coach and show people how much they support him? If you ask me they gave up on him and the season and were going through the motions. They big 10 tourney came around and the players rallied around eachother and said lets see if we can make some noise before we graduate. Honestly I think that is all it is.

• Plus1 1

Miles was gone last August. The fact that anybody thinks that the way this season has gone would be enough to force an AD's hand to reconsider that baffles the mind. There is literally no way that it could feasibly go from here that would set in motion any deviation from the plan laid forth the minute the 1 year extension was given.  We will lose to Wisconsin today and, hopefully at that point those that are wondering 'if we win an NCAA title would it save Miles?" can finally rest easy knowing that miracle isn't riding in on a white horse this season. 

21 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I don't want you to be defensive about what I am going to ask. I just want you to seriously reflect on this and answer honestly. I cant remember if it was you or someone else posted about Miles has coached his a$$ off the last few games and the players are playing for their coach now. Do you really believe they are playing for their coach or are you just trying to get a rise out of people on here? 

Think about it. If they truly loved their coach why did they take the 2nd half of the season off? Players who love their coach typically love their coach the whole season. They play the whole season inspired. Why would they tank and lose like 12 of 15 and get to an overall record of like 15-15, essentially ensuring Miles will be fired after the season. Then they out of nowhere "decided" to now play for their coach and show people how much they support him? If you ask me they gave up on him and the season and were going through the motions. They big 10 tourney came around and the players rallied around eachother and said lets see if we can make some noise before we graduate. Honestly I think that is all it is.

Miles players love him I think but that doesnt mean they respect his ability as a coach.

Miles is a GREAT GUY. I hate all the "fire him" talk when I think about him as a person because he is an amazing person.

But I think the players lost faith in him as a coach and they just gave up. I think they like him but his coaching of X's and O's isnt good enough.

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Miles players that stick around love him I think but that doesnt mean they respect his ability as a coach.

Miles public image projects that he is a GREAT GUY. I hate all the "fire him" talk when I think about him as a person because he is an amazing person.

But I think the players lost faith in him as a coach and they just gave up. I think they like him but his coaching of X's and O's isnt good enough.

FIFY

• Plus1 2

52 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I believe you might be quoting me (albeit incorrectly); because I used the phrase....."coaching his A$$ off".........

My INTENT was to be able to at least give Miles some credit for his strategies, game management and substitution rotations under really poor circumstances the last three games.

THAT is an entirely different argument than whether or not they were playing for themselves or TM. (although locker room post game videos....especially yesterday......SEEMED to indicate there is some genuine affection for their current coach). I don't think it is all that difficult to toss some crumbs to TM, even if he will almost certainly be gone. It also doesn't delve into why they weren't motivated throughout a woeful season. For the record, I too believed that Miles should have been gone last year........but understand the Moose problem of replacing two major sports coaches in the same year.......especially his first.

Life is not a zero sum game.........crediting Miles for hanging in there and helping all Nebraska fans enjoy the end of the season for a few more days doesn't mitigate his other issues for being a seven year .500 coach. Just enjoy the fact that this ending is much more enjoyable than most of us would have predicted just a week ago.

33 minutes ago, Mavric said:

FIFY

I agree on the first correction.

Be curious if you know something I dont know that would make you say that Miles isnt a great guy?