The Planetary Health Diet

43 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I used to think exactly this. I never thought trending more vegetarian would be an option for me because of my love of lifting weights and the perceived necessity of meat to help build muscle.

For Valentine's day a year ago I bought us a food delivery service caught Hello Fresh that has a veggie meal option. 3 meals a week. The way things are prepared and the ingredients they use - which generally aren't anything too absurdly exotic or hard to get yourself - are vastly more flavorful than almost every meat dish I was used to eating. And I felt better after eating it than I would something that was heavy on meat.

Now, that's given I wasn't getting really gourmet with my meats the way I know several members of the board do... :lol:

The issue isn't meat at all. It's portion control. A vegetarian diet allows me to eat all the bread, pasta and cheese I want, and I could work with that.

But the photo you showed still made me sad. 

Food science and economics also blame corn for a lot of the world's agricultural ills. If we take away beef and corn, what's left of Nebraska?

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Food science and economics also blame corn for a lot of the world's agricultural ills. If we take away beef and corn, what's left of Nebraska?

Part of what is wrong with this debate, is that people claim that if we take all the land that us currently being used to produce beef and turn it into producing vegetables, the world would be a better place.

Well....that equation uses the sand hills for instance.  Who here believes we should till up the sand hills and plant tomatoes?  Think of the millions of acres in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas that are used to produce beef.  The vast majority of that is in no way able to be tilled to grow vegetables.  Has anyone here ever driven through the bad lands of South dakota?  Yep, they are used to graze beef.  Anyone expecting to grow vegetables there?

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Part of what is wrong with this debate, is that people claim that if we take all the land that us currently being used to produce beef and turn it into producing vegetables, the world would be a better place.

Well....that equation uses the sand hills for instance.  Who here believes we should till up the sand hills and plant tomatoes?  Think of the millions of acres in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas that are used to produce beef.  The vast majority of that is in no way able to be tilled to grow vegetables.  Has anyone here ever driven through the bad lands of South dakota?  Yep, they are used to graze beef.  Anyone expecting to grow vegetables there?

Good points.

I've mentioned this before, but what Gabe Brown is doing with restoration agriculture in North Dakota (on dry lands without irrigation) is where we should be heading with our agriculture IMO.