Rotation With Copeland Out

Here's the thing- we really need Heiman to bulk up and be able to hold his own. He needs to own the glass. 

With that being said- I don't believe he is ready to do that. 

Borchardt, while solid for a walk on, really should not be playing in this league in the slightest. Him being on the floor is a direct reflection of the lack of bigs Miles and company have been able to recruit since getting here. 

I think the best 5 lineup looks like:

Watson

Allen

Akenten 

Palmer

Roby

The issue is that lineup is small. I mean SMALL. Akenten has the athleticism to be a really good rebounder but he will get eaten alive trying to guard 4's. 

SO. After thinking about it- my lineup would be: 

Watson

Allen

Palmer

Roby 

Heiman

I'd run. And run some more. And then after that I'd run again. Your bench rotation should look like: 

Harris

Akenten 

Borchardt. 

I'd use the "small" lineup of Roby at the 5 when you don't want to put Borchardt in. At this point its more about developing Heiman and letting him figure it out than it is plugging Borchardt in out there and basically sacrificing a position on both offense and defense. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Play small and run...Play small and press in that nasty 1-3-1 they do.  Go for it.

This is what they should have been doing all along. Not just this year- but most years. They play their best defense in the 1-3-1 and they do the best offensively when they're getting buckets in transition. 

Extend the 1-3-1 to half court, use your athleticism and hide your lack of size and sink back into the 1-3-1 once they get it over half court. We already don't rebound so no need to worry about that. 

It'd look something like: 

Top: Roby

Middle: Allen Palmer Watson

Bottom: Heiman

3 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

This is what they should have been doing all along. Not just this year- but most years. They play their best defense in the 1-3-1 and they do the best offensively when they're getting buckets in transition. 

Extend the 1-3-1 to half court, use your athleticism and hide your lack of size and sink back into the 1-3-1 once they get it over half court. We already don't rebound so no need to worry about that. 

It'd look something like: 

Top: Roby

Middle: Allen Palmer Watson

Bottom: Heiman

Boy this sounds soooo familiar.

unfortunately, any success Tim hopes to achieve requires Palmer to play great defense and manning up on the glass.  We all know the odds of either happening are slim and none as JPJ will believe he needs to up his offense more and that will be his sole focus

25 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Boy this sounds soooo familiar.

unfortunately, any success Tim hopes to achieve requires Palmer to play great defense and manning up on the glass.  We all know the odds of either happening are slim and none as JPJ will believe he needs to up his offense more and that will be his sole focus

Just curious as to where this sounds familiar from? The team is thin and I agree completely Palmer won't play D. The best way to hide Palmer while also use our length and athleticism is to run and go primarily zone (I'd mix between 2-3 and 1-3-1)