Rotation With Copeland Out

58 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

Just curious as to where this sounds familiar from? The team is thin and I agree completely Palmer won't play D. The best way to hide Palmer while also use our length and athleticism is to run and go primarily zone (I'd mix between 2-3 and 1-3-1)

Been on the full court, 3/4 court pressure back into zone or some sort of half court trap bandwagon for years with Miles and his roster not built for slower tempos.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Been on the full court, 3/4 court pressure back into zone or some sort of half court trap bandwagon for years with Miles and his roster not built for slower tempos.

I hear ya, but with depth issues I understand why it isn't used consistently.

With our length, a 1-1-2-1 full court press would be interesting. We ran it all the time when I coached.

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I hear ya, but with depth issues I understand why it isn't used consistently.

With our length, a 1-1-2-1 full court press would be interesting. We ran it all the time when I coached.

I’m sorry but teams for years have gone fast tempo full court with an eight man rotation.  It would have been totally plausible for this squad.  Every guy off the bench doesn’t need to put up 10 points a game, but provide rest by eating minutes and putting some stress on the opponent by going at a fast pace.  Guys like Amir and Nana would thrive off the bench in this style.

In fact the team would probably thrive.  The pressure provides more opportunities to score in transition which is when this team looks/plays at its best, attacking in the open floor.  Opportunities like an easy steal and breakaway to end the scoring drought instead of hoping a late, contested 3 at the end of the clock goes in.  Best positive, more transition buckets means less time watching whatever the hell that “offense” they run.

Miles could have played to this strength for years but never has.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
12 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

I’m sorry but teams for years have gone fast tempo full court with an eight man rotation.  It would have been totally plausible for this squad.  Every guy off the bench doesn’t need to put up 10 points a game, but provide rest by eating minutes and putting some stress on the opponent by going at a fast pace.  Guys like Amir and Nana would thrive off the bench in this style.

In fact the team would probably thrive.  The pressure provides more opportunities to score in transition which is when this team looks/plays at its best, attacking in the open floor.  Opportunities like an easy steal and breakaway to end the scoring drought instead of hoping a late, contested 3 at the end of the clock goes in.  Best positive, more transition buckets means less time watching whatever the hell that “offense” they run.

Miles could have played to this strength for years but never has.

That's the bright side of consistent full or 3/4 court pressure. The other side of it is missed assignments leading to easy buckets on the other end, poor positioning for defensive rebounding, and a fatigued, already thin, roster.

I'm not against pressure, I just think you have to be mindful of Nebraska's depth issues, and frankly, their lack of skill from top to bottom. Our top 7 guys do have a lot of length, which is obviously valuable anytime you decide to press. I also think they have some of the necessary athletes for a press. Just not enough of them to do it as often as you seem to be suggesting.

Do I think we should use pressure more often than they've chosen too? Yes. Do I think it's possible Miles and the coaching staff have a good reason they haven't consistently used it? Also, yes.

• Fire 1

Biggest thing is this is a style he could have used for years so players, coaches would be ready, rehearsed and used to it.  His lack of big man recruiting and his rosters were tailor made for this.

As for your downsides of pressing/going up tempo, we get to witness those negs on a nightly basis.  But it it is what it is.

The only upside that can save this squad is Cope going down forces Roby to be more aggressive offensively.  Far to often he defers to the other three guys.