Suh Back At Nebraska After Long Absense

Mavric

In an interview Friday — nine days before he and the Los Angeles Rams play New England in the Super Bowl — Suh said he’s happy to be around Husker football again now that Scott Frost is in charge. He backed away from the program after former Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst fired coach Bo Pelini in late 2014.

Suh was on the sideline for Pelini’s final game at Iowa. Between that day and Sept. 1, when Nebraska’s game against Akron was rained out, Suh kept his distance.

“Before Scott Frost and Bill Moos were put in a position to get things back in place — really closer to the Nebraska way — I didn’t believe in some things the former A.D. was doing and had in place,” Suh said. “I didn’t necessarily remove myself from the team, I was just helping people that I knew from afar. I was still close with people I knew in the organization. I was just sad to see a lot of the things that transpired. That’s kind of where it was.

“I believe Frost is a good human being and coach and will do great things for Nebraska. As I’ve known him — and got to know him more at the University of Oregon and now at Nebraska — hopefully things can get turned around pretty quickly.”

OWH

• Fire 1

Something else to remember:

Oregon State, eat your heart out. The Beavers almost had a Heisman Trophy finalist anchoring their defensive line.

Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, making the awards circuit right now, told the “Sports Nightly” radio program Tuesday night that when Bo and Carl Pelini were hired in 2007, he was planning a transfer to Corvallis. After listening to their pitch to keep him at NU, he chose to stay.

“Obviously I felt – and still feel strongly – I made the best decision,” Suh said.

Had the Cornhuskers not fired Bill Callahan and Kevin Cosgrove?

“I'd probably be at Oregon State right now,” Suh said.

• Plus1 1

Remembering Suh's masterpiece as he steps on the biggest stage

His march to a season of greatness really took off during a nationally televised game on a Thursday night, played in a downpour, in which Suh harassed Blaine Gabbert and intercepted him by stealing a pass at the line of scrimmage to turn the game Nebraska’s way.

There was Heisman buzz after that win, but it died down in the weeks after – because NU lost three games in the regular season and because Suh was a D-tackle. Even the most dominant player in college football gets shown secondary status for the Heisman if he's not scoring touchdowns.

But that night against Texas, everyone should have known there was not a better player in college football that season. Against a heavily favored Texas team, Suh and his Husker mates dismantled the Longhorn offense. Suh would sack McCoy 4 1/2 times by himself alone, with 7 1/2 tackles for loss, throwing him down to the ground like he was little brother on one play after beating a double team.

• Plus1 2

On 1/29/2019 at 9:44 PM, suh_fan93 said:

I forgot how horrific the officiating was in this game- Texas was holding Suh and our other Defensive Lineman at simply grotesque levels. Not legal holding inside the frame, outside the frame and tackling below the waist. The 3:50 mark see Suh being tackled- same on the last scrimmage play. Im not one for conspiracy theories and all that nonsense, but I would be interested to see how the penalties were dished out that game. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

I forgot how horrific the officiating was in this game- Texas was holding Suh and our other Defensive Lineman at simply grotesque levels. Not legal holding inside the frame, outside the frame and tackling below the waist. The 3:50 mark see Suh being tackled- same on the last scrimmage play. Im not one for conspiracy theories and all that nonsense, but I would be interested to see how the penalties were dished out that game. 

Yeah I was noticing that too.  Heck they had to hold Suh that game.  He would have probably killed McCoy had they not.