*** 2022 Recruiting ***

4 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I go back and forth on this. Overall I tend to think that this class probably won't matter for the reasons you've cited - however it does mean that we're doubling down on our current roster. The results in the field suggest that is dubious. 

Furthermore, I do think not bringing in a single 4* player - which seems likely - isn't a good sign. Even with a small class you hope to sign 3 or 4 such players. 

It also will be interesting to see how these players will be rated after their senior seasons.  There is a chance there will be some decent sized moves.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

This way you "keep" it at 85 total but allow for it to not impact high school players opportunities. 

This was the biggest issue I’ve had with the extra year.  Lots and lots of HS seniors got really screwed over in lots of sports because of the NCAA short sightedness 

• Plus1 3
35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Will we have a bunch of players that aren't major contributors moving on which will add to the total we can take? 

Possibly.  But we're already counting on a decent amount of that.  We would currently be at 86 scholarships for next year (87 if Liewer stays on scholarship) and would need to add four more to get to 13 in this class.  So there are already five spots that need to move on just to be able to take the 13.  I don't think we'll have any trouble with that but it's hard to know for sure at this point and particularly hard to know what positions it might be at.

My guess would be it won't end up with much more than 13 high school players and if we have more spots they'll be looking for transfers.

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I go back and forth on this. Overall I tend to think that this class probably won't matter for the reasons you've cited - however it does mean that we're doubling down on our current roster. The results in the field suggest that is dubious. 

Furthermore, I do think not bringing in a single 4* player - which seems likely - isn't a good sign. Even with a small class you hope to sign 3 or 4 such players. 

I would be much more concerned if this was the norm.  But they've always recruited a bunch of four-star kids.  So I don't think they just decided to take a year off.  It's a bad combination of not being able to get out and see the kids in person, not being able to get them to come to Lincoln for a visit, not having enough spots to be able to sit around and wait on some kids and not having very good results on the field along with the recruiting services having many of the same issues and simply not having as many four-star kids.

It seems like they found kids they like and especially ones that have some versatility.  Plus having some limited spots sped up some of the timeline.  If the trend continues next year I'll be worried.  But we already have two four-stars for next year so that seems unlikely.

• Plus1 2
56 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I would be much more concerned if this was the norm.  But they've always recruited a bunch of four-star kids.  So I don't think they just decided to take a year off.  It's a bad combination of not being able to get out and see the kids in person, not being able to get them to come to Lincoln for a visit, not having enough spots to be able to sit around and wait on some kids and not having very good results on the field along with the recruiting services having many of the same issues and simply not having as many four-star kids.

It seems like they found kids they like and especially ones that have some versatility.  Plus having some limited spots sped up some of the timeline.  If the trend continues next year I'll be worried.  But we already have two four-stars for next year so that seems unlikely.

I will be shocked if none of the current commits dont get a 4th star. 

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

22 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I will be shocked if none of the current commits dont get a 4th star. 

In a normal year I'd agree.  But even Rivals has admitted that they really aren't doing any evaluations on 2022 three-star guys.  

If they go back and redo them based on game tape it will be interesting.  But it almost sounds like they basically moved on to 2023 other than the top 300 or so.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

In a normal year I'd agree.  But even Rivals has admitted that they really aren't doing any evaluations on 2022 three-star guys.  

If they go back and redo them based on game tape it will be interesting.  But it almost sounds like they basically moved on to 2023 other than the top 300 or so.

So, bagging on the class because it doesn't have a 4* isn't really worth our time.  We won't know how these players are for a few years.  So, sit back and enjoy the season and move on to next year, where we already have one player that's a 4* on at least one site.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Normally I would agree, but all teams have similar issues - it hasn't stopped almost every other team in the B1G from recruiting a 4* player. 

I'd feel better about the class if the offer lists were more impressive. By and large we're not competing with good schools for these players. So even if recruiting services don't like them, it seems other coaching staffs don't as well.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Normally I would agree, but all teams have similar issues - it hasn't stopped almost every other team in the B1G from recruiting a 4* player. 

I'd feel better about the class if the offer lists were more impressive. By and large we're not competing with good schools for these players. So even if recruiting services don't like them, it seems other coaching staffs don't as well.

So what's your explanation?  Did the staff just decide to take a year off?

37 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So what's your explanation?  Did the staff just decide to take a year off?

I don't think it's a lack of trying.

My best guess is that recruits simply aren't as interested in Nebraska at the moment. It's difficult for Frost to pitch scheme - considering the lack of offensive production. It's difficult for Frost to pitch player development - considering the lack of players ending on All Conference lists or ending up in the NFL.

Unless Frost starts winning, what is his recruiting pitch going forward? What does Nebraska Football offer recruits that other programs don't? 

• Plus1 3

22 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I don't think it's a lack of trying.

My best guess is that recruits simply aren't as interested in Nebraska at the moment. It's difficult for Frost to pitch scheme - considering the lack of offensive production. It's difficult for Frost to pitch player development - considering the lack of players ending on All Conference lists or ending up in the NFL.

Unless Frost starts winning, what is his recruiting pitch going forward? What does Nebraska Football offer recruits that other programs don't? 

Fresh Corn.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...