*** 2022 Recruiting ***

4 minutes ago, Decked said:

There is almost none. This class is basically gonna be some JUCO guys/developmental 3 stars & fill the rest with the portal 

That very well might be.  However, like I said earlier, the signing period in February is going to be interesting.  There might not be as many spots this year for good HS players to go where they think they want to go to now.  We will then also know who is leaving after the season.  So, there might be some good HS players left with us having more spots.  They could also then actually visit to see what we have to offer (which was a huge hinderance with this class).

3 hours ago, Decked said:

There is almost none. This class is basically gonna be some JUCO guys/developmental 3 stars & fill the rest with the portal 

I’d actually like us to do way better in the portal. We are primed to benefit from the portal. Many of the portal players come from teams with not near the fan base or NIL opportunity as us. Really good players will have immediate impact. They are not buried in depth behind 4 and 5 star guys above (upper class men) and below them (under class men). This is a big opportunity for us to build and bring in some great players. National brand, BIG Ten, we need talent upgrades that will get significant playing time.  How did that work for OU when they just kept reloading with an elite QB every year.

2022 Profiles

Current Scholarships/Commits

Official Visit Lists: 247 - Husker Online
HOL Tracking All Visits

QB - 1 - RICHARD TORRES
RB - 1 - ASHTON HAYES
WR - 2 - VICTOR JONESGRANT PAGE
TE - 1 - CHASE ANDROFF
OT - 1 - 
OG/C - 1 - 

DL - 1 - HAYDEN SCHWARTZTrevon McAlpineBrodie Tagaloa
ILB - 1 - ERNEST HAUSMANN

OLB - 1-2 -  JAKE APPLEGETGAGE STENGER

CB - 1-2 - Malcolm Hartzog
S - 1 - 

Early enrollees:

Torres

Edited by Mavric
Updated

2 hours ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

So are these losing seasons under Frost finally catching up to him in recruiting?  Do we have a chance to get in the Top 30 like we usually are?

Yes and no.  It's all out of whack right now because of Covid. Also, I think we like our chances in the transfer portal. We don't have to convince kids coming out of high school that the glitz and the glam of fancy places makes a difference. I think once they go out into the world and realize that, by and large, football is football, they look a bit more into places like NU. Basically, we can do better among a crowd of young adults that have been a little humbled than we can do with high school hot heads who have been the cats meow at every turn in their young lives. Obviously it will take a bit of both, but certainly I think, when the dust settles, NU will ultimately benefit from the transfer portal more that it will hurt us.

• Plus1 2

26 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Hey in 247 rankings we are ahead of UConn by 1 spot so that's comforting. 

I'm not going to pump this up and say recruiting is going great.  However, the vast majority of those that are in the top 30 have more recruits than we could take this year.  On 247, our average rating is 86.04.  That's better than in the range of quite a few above us....but they have more recruits.

So, just looking at class ranking isn't being honest about where we are with recruiting.

Even if we were undefeated, we are still only going to take 13-14 recruits and that would keep us down the list quite a ways.

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not going to pump this up and say recruiting is going great.  However, the vast majority of those that are in the top 30 have more recruits than we could take this year.  On 247, our average rating is 86.04.  That's better than in the range of quite a few above us....but they have more recruits.

So, just looking at class ranking isn't being honest about where we are with recruiting.

Even if we were undefeated, we are still only going to take 13-14 recruits and that would keep us down the list quite a ways.

If you are on your way to most likely another 4-8 or 5-7 season would you not want to influx more talent instead of bringing back the same roster? Shouldnt you be looking for players that can be impactful ASAP next season instead of what looks like a plethora of guys that will need several years of development to contribute? When was the last time we had a recruiting class with that low of an average rating? 

I looked it up...2014 was the last time we had that low of an average recruit ranking. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Obviously there are many issues you should look at when deciding if a coach needs fired.  One that I've always found significant is if players still play hard for the coach or if players still want to play for him.  

I don't see players quitting on the field.  They still play hard for the staff.  It will be interesting to see how they finish out the year.  Do they come back from the week off motivated and do everything they can to win?  Or, is the energy drained from the program and they just go through the motions?  The effort in the Minnesota game was concerning though.

BUT, recruiting is important and if this staff can't bring in good players anymore, then that's a major issue.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Have to be a tad careful with this because it can be a great band-aid but we don’t want to overly rely on it. It’s also the type of thing that can make younger players transfer away, have to have a lot of trust with the players.

But ultimately it’s probably the right thing for this year at this point. Should have some spots open up for immediate PT.