*** 2022 Recruiting ***

Honest truth coaches really do NOT care about star ratings. The only only aspect they care about is from a “media perception” but otherwise they do not evaluate or scout kids off of star ratings. It is great say they got “five 4-star recruits” but in the end their evaluation and developmental plan is what matters.

Only a hand select schools does ratings mean anything and that is from a PR battle (Bama, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Michigan, tOSU, etc).

• Plus1 1

I cleaned up the offensive side of the board at the top of the page.  Removed some guys who had us in their top list but I don't think we're as interested in anymore.  I'll work on the defense sometime soon.

HOL guys feel pretty confident about Torres, Williams, Samson, Erickson and Craig (plus Marshall but he's on defense).  That's the feeling I get on most of them as well, even if Williams claims he's not planning to commit until after the season.  I wonder if he's wanting to see if he gets some other offers.  But adding those guys to Androff and Jones would fill out most of the offense for this class.

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I cleaned up the offensive side of the board at the top of the page.  Removed some guys who had us in their top list but I don't think we're as interested in anymore.  I'll work on the defense sometime soon.

HOL guys feel pretty confident about Torres, Williams, Samson, Erickson and Craig (plus Marshall but he's on defense).  That's the feeling I get on most of them as well, even if Williams claims he's not planning to commit until after the season.  I wonder if he's wanting to see if he gets some other offers.  But adding those guys to Androff and Jones would fill out most of the offense for this class.

Do you know if the coaches are waiting to see Bianco in person before giving Torres the green light, or is Bianco more of a plan B/potential second QB?

Just now, Husker in WI said:

Do you know if the coaches are waiting to see Bianco in person before giving Torres the green light, or is Bianco more of a plan B/potential second QB?

The thinking is Torres has until Bianco gets here to make a decision.  Once Bianco gets here it would be whoever says yes first.

That being said, most everyone seems to think that Torres is going to take his visit to Kansas State because he had it scheduled already but will announce he is :bigredn: right after that, which is before Bianco's visit here.

First time in awhile I've seen speculation about scholarship numbers going forward.  Still no clarification on how teams will have to get back down to 85 after this year.  Will it be right away in 2022 or will it be spread over a couple years.

Seeing speculation that the Huskers might only be looking to take 14-15 until there is more clarification.  We have 52 "freshmen" on scholarship as of now.  Only 6 seniors but 17 juniors so I wouldn't think we'd have too much trouble after 2022 but apparently that is still an unknown.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Notre Dame and Mississippi State already have 14 commits.  Ohio State and Rutgers have 13.  Curious to see how high other teams go.

With a potentially small class, are you concerned with the talent level committed or seriously interested in Nebraska?

It seems extremely underwhelming, I know that players haven't had as many camps to go to, but we need to step it up. It's looking bad for this season. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

With a potentially small class, are you concerned with the talent level committed or seriously interested in Nebraska?

It seems extremely underwhelming, I know that players haven't had as many camps to go to, but we need to step it up. It's looking bad for this season. 

Yes and no.

I don't blame anyone for thinking it is underwhelming.  We don't often get a lot of four-stars but there seems to be a particular lack this year.  At least so far.  

Part of the issue is we've been close but came up short.  Last week Rivals released their new rankings and there were eight new four-stars.  We were in the final group for three of them.  So to some extent we were in on some guys who were under-ranked.  But we didn't land them either so that doesn't help.

I do think part of the issue is the rankings are just a little behind right now.  In general it seems to me that the ranking services have made an effort to be more conservative with their initial rankings and then move guys up rather than have to move them down.  And with all the craziness of the last year, they just haven't been able to do full evaluations on a lot of guys.  

According to 247, there were 32 five-stars last year.  Right now there are only 5.  Also on 247 there were 212 guys rated at least 92 last year; this year there are only 176 so far.  So I think it's entirely possible if not likely that there will be upgrades on a lot of players in the next seven months.  How many of our guys go up and how far will be interesting to see.

But I think it's pretty likely that we are feeling the results of four straight losing seasons.  I've long maintained that success on the field comes before recruiting success, not the other way around.  The first year or two you can sell change, especially coming off the great 2017 season the coaches had.  But that's all gone at this point and it's tough to compete with the big boys in recruiting with the record we've had.  We need to get back into that 7-8 win range to start swinging things back the other way.

But the other unknown is are the coaches making a conscious effort to try to find guys who they really think will stay.  We've taken some guys who just haven't fit for one reason or anther and that's left holes in the roster.  I've wondered if we've changed a little bit of who we're looking for - at least in the short term - to try to build a little different way.

And finally, we're just in a really bad spot with not being able to have guys visit for over a year.  We depend on getting guys here so they can really see what it's like to change their perception.  We've been totally unable to do that for a long time.  That hurts us more than most.

We've had a couple four-stars pop up recently that we didn't know were that interested in us.  I'm not overly concerned just yet because of everything I just listed.  We have time to get guys here this fall for the full game experience which is always our best selling point.  

But that doesn't mean there isn't any reason for concern.

• Thanks 3