*** 2022 Recruiting ***

One silver-ish lining is actually the transfer portal, imo. If, and that is a bit IF, we have good seasons in 2021 and 2022, it will be a lot easier to sell the 2023 freshmen on the vision and fill holes in the 2022 class via the portal. There is hope out there still, but man, this season is a pretty big one. Its a chance to either fast forward progress by about 3 years, or delay it for the same. I do think we have the talent to pull together 7-8 wins if the coaches are truly great coaches. If coaches are merely decent, then its a longer road full of hope they develop as well. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

And finally, we're just in a really bad spot with not being able to have guys visit for over a year.  We depend on getting guys here so they can really see what it's like to change their perception.  We've been totally unable to do that for a long time.  That hurts us more than most.

I was thinking about this the other day and wondered how big of a factor this has been in getting higher rated guys interested.

• Plus1 1

Word is schools have to be back down to 85 scholarships by 2022.

Huskers only lose six seniors this year.  Right now we would be at 83 for 2022 with the four commits we have.  Obviously there will be early departures but that's a ton.  Sounds like we might only be taking 14 guys though it could be 16-17.

I had thought there would be a couple years given to ease back down to 85.  That would be pretty nuts to have to be back down by 2022.  Not a lot of spots for that class.

• Plus1 1

Word is that we have three spots at LB and want Hausmann, Appleget and Martin for those spots.  We would seem to be in pretty good shape there.

But we also might be looking at a safety who could eventually move down to the weakside OLB spot.  We are after a few guys who fit that description.

On 6/14/2021 at 9:24 AM, Dr. Strangelove said:

With a potentially small class, are you concerned with the talent level committed or seriously interested in Nebraska?

It seems extremely underwhelming, I know that players haven't had as many camps to go to, but we need to step it up. It's looking bad for this season. 

A little "inside baseball" from the HOL (Rivals) guys:

The thing about the rankings this year is they are such a crapshoot. Verizon Media and companies like CBS weren't letting their people on the road for most of the year. Coaches weren't on the road either. I get your take/point, but I think there are going to be a lot of huge misses both ways in this year's class. You hope Nebraska's eyes are seeing the right things they want in this class. Rivals has also spent most of this year with just four regional analysts. That's not very many sets of eyes to break down the entire country. Our regional team is also only updating four and five-star guys and no longer doing three-star recruiting updates.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Huskers only lose six seniors this year.  Right now we would be at 83 for 2022 with the four commits we have.  Obviously there will be early departures but that's a ton.  Sounds like we might only be taking 14 guys though it could be 16-17.

I had thought there would be a couple years given to ease back down to 85.  That would be pretty nuts to have to be back down by 2022.  Not a lot of spots for that class.

Yeah that's bizarre. I guess it makes the issue of only having 25 slots each year no matter how many open scholarships you have kind of a moot point for next year. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

So, if all programs are in this same boat, it would seem like there are going to be a lot of top talent left out of their classes and available to programs like Nebraska.  And, it seems like the entire covid issue is really hurting kids coming out of HS now.  They have far fewer spots to get into.

Another side of this is that we might see programs cutting large numbers of players to get down.  That would allow top HS talent to still find spots, but there might be a ton of decent talent on the transfer market.

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, if all programs are in this same boat, it would seem like there are going to be a lot of top talent left out of their classes and available to programs like Nebraska.  And, it seems like the entire covid issue is really hurting kids coming out of HS now.  They have far fewer spots to get into.

Another side of this is that we might see programs cutting large numbers of players to get down.  That would allow top HS talent to still find spots, but there might be a ton of decent talent on the transfer market.

I'm sure most schools will have conversations with all the guys who are "seniors" and have been in the program for 5 years and haven't contributed much

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah, that should mean fewer spots for the top guys.  Although, according to the graph I posted above, it's really only Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State would wouldn't have room for all the four-star guys they usually get.  Everyone else could probably take all their four-stars and just not have the three-stars filling in behind them.  So I'm not sure that would be a windfall of the top talent for everyone else.  It would mean there would be a lot more high-three-stars to go around.

There seems to be some disagreement as to if this is the final ruling or just what seems to be what is going to happen.  It sure hasn't been publicized much if it's the final answer.  It would seem to be pretty harsh, especially for the guys coming out of high school.

It's very likely there will be a huge number of guys transferring.  The problem is you can still only take so many in one year.  So for every guy who transfers to another Power 5 school that's one less spot for a high school guy in 2023.  So it's going to take a couple years to let it level back out.

It's still a balancing act.  But we might be able to score a handful of guys.  

fw86u.gif

OK.  So now I'm not really sure anyone knows what the story is yet as far as how many scholarships there will be in 2022.  The first thing I read this morning - from a usually reliable source - said that the schools had already been informed that it would be back down to 85.  It wasn't an absolute answer but "I think they've been told this" type of thing which is usually pretty safe from this guy.  But now another report from a guy interviewing the recruits that visited last weekend said they told him our coaches were still saying as low as 14 in the class but possibly 28 - which would be a regular full class (other than I don't know why 28 instead of 25).

So maybe it's still just as unsettled as it ever has been.

:dunno

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I am guessing there will be some tough conversations with kids who have eligibility left but are non-contributors.