*** 2022 Recruiting ***

7 hours ago, BartonHusker said:

We have something like 55 give or take freshman. This class doesn’t need to be stacked with so called 4* anyway. Everyone is going to get redshirted. But for those who care about stars, there are probably a handful of these kids that will get bumped up in time. The whole star rating system this year is completely out of whack/Inconsistent due to Covid.

There is a reason Alabama, Ohio State and those types of programs are consistently good. They are trying to recruit over their current players every year. How many 4 stars have transferred out from past classes? Or how many don't pan out? That is why you need the best possible class every year because you don't know if you missed on kids. Having a mindset of we can take a year off because we did good the last 2 years is not a winning mindset.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

42 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

There is a reason Alabama, Ohio State and those types of programs are consistently good. They are trying to recruit over their current players every year. How many 4 stars have transferred out from past classes? Or how many don't pan out? That is why you need the best possible class every year because you don't know if you missed on kids. Having a mindset of we can take a year off because we did good the last 2 years is not a winning mindset.

I don't think they're taking a year off though - didn't one of the recruiting services say they're literally ignoring current 3 stars because they had to cut staff and travel? I'm not claiming all of the kids in this class would be 4 stars in a normal year, but it's underrated as a whole. As are other classes - just really difficult to compare any teams below the Bama/Clemson/OSU tier. We're missing a headliner (and aren't likely to get one at this point), but I don't think this class is a step back other than in quantity and that one big get. 

On 6/24/2021 at 1:36 PM, Husker in WI said:

I don't think they're taking a year off though - didn't one of the recruiting services say they're literally ignoring current 3 stars because they had to cut staff and travel? I'm not claiming all of the kids in this class would be 4 stars in a normal year, but it's underrated as a whole. As are other classes - just really difficult to compare any teams below the Bama/Clemson/OSU tier. We're missing a headliner (and aren't likely to get one at this point), but I don't think this class is a step back other than in quantity and that one big get. 

The ratings are out of whack, but this class is clearly lacking in talent and is not very good.

Nebraska is not competing with good schools for the players currently committed. Their offer lists are mostly Kansas, K-State and Colorado and other G5 schools.

So while we can't measure with stars, we can see if other coaching staffs think the player is good. So far, that answer is no.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
7 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The ratings are out of whack, but this class is clearly lacking in talent and is not very good.

Nebraska is not competing with good schools for the players currently committed. Their offer lists are mostly Kansas, K-State and Colorado and other G5 schools.

So while we can't measure with stars, we can see if other coaching staffs think the player is good. So far, that answer is no.

I mean Frosts new car smell is worn off. New staffs have a few years of hope to offer to recruits. Once that wears off you gotta win games to keep the momentum. A good year this year that shows progress will provide a boost. 

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I mean Frosts new car smell is worn off. New staffs have a few years of hope to offer to recruits. Once that wears off you gotta win games to keep the momentum. A good year this year that shows progress will provide a boost. 

What do you think is the number we need to show recruits progress? I don't think 7 wins is good enough. Husker fans would have s#!t themselves in the past thinking about a 7 win season. Now we are like hey its better than 4 or 5 wins. Just because OUR expectations have lowered doesn't mean its good enough for high school kids with offers from other top P5 schools who are winning 9+ every year.

• Fire 1
11 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

What do you think is the number we need to show recruits progress? I don't think 7 wins is good enough. Husker fans would have s#!t themselves in the past thinking about a 7 win season. Now we are like hey its better than 4 or 5 wins. Just because OUR expectations have lowered doesn't mean its good enough for high school kids with offers from other top P5 schools who are winning 9+ every year.

Well recruits are already saying they think Frost has it headed in the right direction so you're demonstrably wrong.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Well recruits are already saying they think Frost has it headed in the right direction so you're demonstrably wrong.

Go ahead and name a few top recruits this cycle who think we have things headed in the right direction. Kids who feel so strongly that Frost has things headed in the right direction that they have committed? What I mean is competitive P5 schools have offered them also. Not bottom feeder P5 schools. But the types of schools we want to look at as our peer. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think 7 wins does it. Easy to pitch look we are a young team with the second toughest schedule in the country and won more than we lost. Easy to pitch optimism instead of saying hey we are getting this thing right, yeah I know we were 4-8 but but but. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think, of course, the players visiting are going to say that. Recruits by and large say nice things about schools.

But are top 300 recruits saying that? Is Nebraska competing with top 25 schools for talent? Right now the answer is no. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I think, of course, the players visiting are going to say that. Recruits by and large say nice things about schools.

But are top 300 recruits saying that? Is Nebraska competing with top 25 schools for talent? Right now the answer is no. 

I am taking a wait and see currently as I expect the most drastic player rating swings we have ever seen once seasons get underway. 

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, Mavric said:

Family friends (all walk-ons) on the team have also said this is the most talent and competition there has been in the last 3-4 years (since they've been there), and it is not even close. Take it for what its worth. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
21 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Family friends (all walk-ons) on the team have also said this is the most talent and competition there has been in the last 3-4 years (since they've been there), and it is not even close. Take it for what its worth. 

now let us all pray that it shows on the field. 

• Plus1 1
On 6/28/2021 at 9:11 AM, Mavric said:

I really enjoyed how Mavric put this as "you're demonstrable wrong".

Most of us tout our views based off our own "statistics" in our minds.  For me, it's those 4-8 seasons.  So, now we have rankings out there and now the excuse is that we have the second hardest schedule in the land.  It is always amazing to me now how Husker fans [you know, those greatest fans on the earth] today jump on anything "tough" as an obstacle as to why we can't succeed.  Doesn't all that go against our own "prayer"?

Anyway, Mavric has dug :bigredn: the perfect storm as this year [probably more than ever] will certainly be given the opportunity to show if what Frosty has crafted is "demonstrable wrong" or "demonstrable right".  I won't be looking at the Win/Loss column as much as how we play week-in and week-out and throughout each game.  If it really is headed in the right direction ... we will be able to tell against a team like Oklahoma.  I can't wait to see how hard we play and the focus.  I think we will find out if we really wanted to play them or wanted to avoid them and get another home game.  And on that topic ... I think we will also find out a lot when we play Fordham.  I mean ... are we not to expect a 77-7 score here?  I am.  So, if we see a 34-24 type game or any type of game in the 3rd quarter ... we are seeing something "demonstrable wrong" ... again, as I see it.  

So, I'm excited for the season.  I think it is great if we have turned the corner and especially the players are seeing.  That's awesome.  They would be the first to see it and recognize it.  So ... come this season ... we should see "demonstrable right" on the field [really at all times].  If we don't ... can we at least stop telling folks that they are just being negative and have a "the world is falling" mentality?  After all ... it's not like Scott and staff have not been given a chance.  And still, Scott will have still next year and the best set-up for success with his easiest schedule and his most developed team [his team].  Cry me a river if I'm "negative" for the lack of success and development next year.

Everything I'm hearing is that we are on the right track ... so ... I'm expecting a solid year with no reasons to be negative on anything.  I'm excited.

36 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Everything I'm hearing is that we are on the right track ... so ... I'm expecting a solid year with no reasons to be negative on anything.  I'm excited.

You're expecting something that has never, ever happened. Even TO's best years the fans found reasons to be negative on something.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1