Way Too Early 2019 Depth Chart

BIG ERN

5 hours ago, Enhance said:

Wasn't Williams someone that was having issues perimeter blocking, too?

Yes. That’s why we saw a lot of Warner despite his 5 yards a catch. 

5 hours ago, Decked said:

Seems a little odd considering he had all last year/this spring to learn the playbook and saw a fair amount of action in the fall. I wonder if his blocking hasn’t progressed much from last year. 

The standard has changed, though. The staff expects more, and if guys like Woodyard or Hunt have really progressed then you can fall behind by just staying the same. 

I’m confident by S. Alabama that we have at least 4 or 5 ready to go, including those slotted at the R position. We are starting to bring in enough talent, though, that to be in that top group you have to beat out some people. Last year you could get time just by being the best of the worst.

So, question for discussion purposes.

I think most would agree that we still won't have the depth at every position like a top 5 program in the country.  But, my question is if everyone would be healthy and eligible, how would you rank our starting lineup in the conference?  Meaning, the starting 11 on offense and starting 11 on defense, how would they stack up against the other team's starters in the country this next year going into the season?

I feel we stack up talent wise with the 25th to 10th ranked teams at most positions. Wr is not as good as the other top 25 teams. RB is scary, I'm not confident that Mills and Johnson can just come in and be the best two backs. However the most important position is QB and we are in the top 5 there so I like it.

6 minutes ago, JoeSakic2019 said:

I feel we stack up talent wise with the 25th to 10th ranked teams at most positions. Wr is not as good as the other top 25 teams. RB is scary, I'm not confident that Mills and Johnson can just come in and be the best two backs. However the most important position is QB and we are in the top 5 there so I like it.

So, how would you rank our starters in our conference or even our division?

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, question for discussion purposes.

I think most would agree that we still won't have the depth at every position like a top 5 program in the country.  But, my question is if everyone would be healthy and eligible, how would you rank our starting lineup in the conference?  Meaning, the starting 11 on offense and starting 11 on defense, how would they stack up against the other team's starters in the country this next year going into the season?

I realize this isn't quite your question but we had the B1G West champs beat until we melted down in the last five minutes.  And we only lost to the conference champs - and the team that finished the year #3 in the country - by 5 at their place.

In Frost's first year.

So I'm pretty sure we stack up pretty well with anyone in the conference.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
On 4/3/2019 at 10:41 AM, Mavric said:

*** The "No. 1" base defense looked like this at one point: Darrion Daniels between Ben Stille and Carlos Davis up front; Mohamed Barry and Collin Miller at ILB; Tyrin Ferguson and Alex Davis at OLB; Deontai Williams and Marquel Dismuke at safety; Lamar Jackson and Dicaprio Bootle at corner. JoJo Domann was also in that rotation.

I think we may have finally found Alex Davis a role he excels at. In the spring game he played primarily as that on the line OLB pass rusher and he was an absolute menace. Did a great job not letting those much bigger tackles get their hands on him in pass rushing situations. Showed a nice ability to rush inside and outside from a wide technique as well as getting underneath the lineman’s pad level and just moving him out of the way.

He looks so much quicker this year, too. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 3