Way Too Early 2019 Depth Chart

BIG ERN

35 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

O-Line and O-Line depth is my biggest concern. And that’s where it all starts, so potentially our Achilles heel.

For me, ILB beats it out slightly, just from a numbers standpoint. Better numbers on the offensive line, but we need better production. 

I think it's is important to note that we might not have one SR start on offense this year. The only possible two would be Woodyard or Williams. I think the defensive guys right now will fill in nicely next year as well. I hate to already think about 2020, but it could be a special year for us. 

10 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I think it's is important to note that we might not have one SR start on offense this year. The only possible two would be Woodyard or Williams. I think the defensive guys right now will fill in nicely next year as well. I hate to already think about 2020, but it could be a special year for us. 

There is plenty to be excited about, but we don't need to look past 2019. We're gonna have 10 or more wins this year. 2020 and beyond will be about maintaining high standards and gunning for championships on an annual basis.

• Plus1 1

running back will surely be by committee......but we need one go to guy back there......still very concerned.

need Mills or Washington to make a splash......can't see Washington (even in  the best scenario, legally) not getting at least a 3 game suspension......

asking a lot from a true freshman, it's a rare breed that makes a big impact.

The RBs that were on the field on Saturday will barely get any carries this year.  

Maybe Bradley will get a few.  The rest?  Basically none (of any meaningful variety).

The Spring Game was hard to take much from because of the lack of actual RBs and the QBs getting whistled down as soon as they were touched.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

The RBs that were on the field on Saturday will barely get any carries this year.  

Maybe Bradley will get a few.  The rest?  Basically none (of any meaningful variety).

The Spring Game was hard to take much from because of the lack of actual RBs and the QBs getting whistled down as soon as they were touched.

I think the spring game also showed that we need Mo and Mills, at least Mo for sure. 

32 minutes ago, Ulty said:

There is plenty to be excited about, but we don't need to look past 2019. We're gonna have 10 or more wins this year. 2020 and beyond will be about maintaining high standards and gunning for championships on an annual basis.

Our schedule lines up to have a good year, but we still have issues IMO. 10 wins might be a stretch at this point, but it's possible for sure. If we can protect Lincoln we are in great shape. 

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I know we have a whole different thread for Washington's situation but this is on topic here - I am feeling more as time goes on here with his saga that the likelihood of him even being on the team is diminishing. That's my honest, reasoned take and I could be and totally hope to be wrong.

If Washington doesn't play, the situation changes drastically. We're what, 3.5 months out from fall camp? What I saw from the guys that were getting carries on Saturday was not great, and that is a bit concerning.

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, Undone said:

I know we have a hole different thread for Washington's situation but this is on topic here - I am feeling more as time goes on here with his saga that the likelihood of him even being on the team is diminishing. That's my honest, reasoned take and I could be and totally hope to be wrong.

It's hard to say.  I have a hard time believing he'll get more than a misdemeanor and if that's what it is I think a game or two suspension would be tops.  We'll see I guess.

38 minutes ago, Undone said:

If Washington doesn't play, the situation changes drastically. We're what, 3.5 months out from fall camp? What I saw from the guys that were getting carries on Saturday was not great, and that is a bit concerning.

Like I said, the guys that were out there on Saturday will not be the guys out there this fall.  Yes, that means some guys will have to show up and pick things up quickly.  But that's exactly the situation Bell and Washington were in last year and they were out there from the start.  Running back is the easiest position to come in and play right away.

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It's hard to say.  I have a hard time believing he'll get more than a misdemeanor and if that's what it is I think a game or two suspension would be tops.  We'll see I guess.

Like I said, the guys that were out there on Saturday will not be the guys out there this fall.  Yes, that means some guys will have to show up and pick things up quickly.  But that's exactly the situation Bell and Washington were in last year and they were out there from the start.  Running back is the easiest position to come in and play right away.

And, one of the guys coming has P5 experience. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I usually agree that RB is the easiest position to come in and play, but in our offense the curve is a little more steep bc ideally our RBs can play a decent amount of WR too.  Being able to play with great tempo and be locked into your assignment for  a couple different positions and various motions will make it more difficult to learn than a typical offense. 

With that being said I think we will be as good, if not better at RB this year than we were last year.  MW will take a big step, Mills can take some carries and Rahmir will be able to at least come in and perform similar to MW last year.  Another piece that will help this group will be the guys blocking for them upfront.  

58 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

I usually agree that RB is the easiest position to come in and play, but in our offense the curve is a little more steep bc ideally our RBs can play a decent amount of WR too.  Being able to play with great tempo and be locked into your assignment for  a couple different positions and various motions will make it more difficult to learn than a typical offense. 

They *can* play some WR but they don't have to.  We have at least a couple guys who are going to be doing some of both but they are all already here. Washington was the only primary RB who really played much WR last year.

And - again - both Washington and Bell did it last year.  So we've already seen it happen.  Washington even go worked in at WR before too long.  We don't need any of the new guys to play an WR because we already have we already have Spielman and Jones.  All they have to do is get up to speed at RB, which is the easiest spot at which to do that.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

They *can* play some WR but they don't have to.  We have at least a couple guys who are going to be doing some of both but they are all already here. Washington was the only primary RB who really played much WR last year.

And - again - both Washington and Bell did it last year.  So we've already seen it happen.  Washington even go worked in at WR before too long.  We don't need any of the new guys to play an WR because we already have we already have Spielman and Jones.  All they have to do is get up to speed at RB, which is the easiest spot at which to do that.

You are correct that we can operate our offense without an RB that can play WR.  However, the offense won't do everything they want.  They want the ability to line the RB up in the back field then motion him out or just the opposite.  If the RB can't really play WR yet, it greatly diminishes what the defense has to account for.

So, we can do it, it's just not optimal.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1