Way Too Early 2019 Depth Chart

BIG ERN

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

You are correct that we can operate our offense without an RB that can play WR.  However, the offense won't do everything they want.  They want the ability to line the RB up in the back field then motion him out or just the opposite.  If the RB can't really play WR yet, it greatly diminishes what the defense has to account for.

So, we can do it, it's just not optimal.  

Yes, but we can still do that.  We already have other guys that can do that.  So they new guys don't have to be able to do that right off the bat.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

You are correct that we can operate our offense without an RB that can play WR.  However, the offense won't do everything they want.  They want the ability to line the RB up in the back field then motion him out or just the opposite.  If the RB can't really play WR yet, it greatly diminishes what the defense has to account for.

So, we can do it, it's just not optimal.  

Also, that's a little different from really playing WR.  I'm talking about lining up as a WR and really playing that position to get the mis-match like Washington last year.  Not just motioning them out of the backfield.  Probably a small distinction but I don't think we really ever asked Ozigbo or Bell to actually play the WR spot last year.  They were basically just a RB, which is what I'm talking about.  They would still motion out from time to time but I don't think that's the same thing as really playing WR.

Some guys route tree is nothing more than a swing pass. Washington is special in that way. Ozigbo wasn’t, but he did other things well. This offense utilizes both types.

A big advantage this year is Miles Jones. He looked very solid. More as a receiver on the stat line, but some runs got called back. If he can keep things together, that’s 10-15 snaps of versatility that can compliment any other back.

That’s what we have to remember here. 15 touches is a lot in this offense, especially early when this staff likes to play a lot of backs. None of these backs have to come in right away and do everything. Early in the season, it’s not like anyone has any tape on them, anyhow.

Frost will tailor the offense around what he has.  The spring game is for entertainment, a glorified scrimmage.  With todays media coverage, everything is base.  Plus, there were several players that did not play and some yet to come.  I have concern about depth at LB and RB.  We can be a special offense with Washington, but we still need a back to grind, eat up time and not lose the ball in the 4th quarter.  This job will probably go to a new comers.

25 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Frost will tailor the offense around what he has.  The spring game is for entertainment, a glorified scrimmage.  With todays media coverage, everything is base.  Plus, there were several players that did not play and some yet to come.  I have concern about depth at LB and RB.  We can be a special offense with Washington, but we still need a back to grind, eat up time and not lose the ball in the 4th quarter.  This job will probably go to a new comers.

Mills is that guy