BIG ERN

Way Too Early 2019 Depth Chart

Frost said there won't be an actual depth chart until a week before the first game - everything is open until then

*** The "No. 1" base defense looked like this at one point: Darrion Daniels between Ben Stille and Carlos Davis up front; Mohamed Barry and Collin Miller at ILB; Tyrin Ferguson and Alex Davis at OLB; Deontai Williams and Marquel Dismuke at safety; Lamar Jackson and Dicaprio Bootle at corner. JoJo Domann was also in that rotation.

*** Take this for what it's worth: The past two times practice has been open to reporters, Jaron Woodyard and Andre Hunt have worked almost exclusively on the top WR line. Last week it was with Spielman. This week, in Spielman's absence, it was Kade Warner. 

LJS

12 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Glad to see Woodyard making some noise, but where is Mike Williams?

Playbook issues is what I've heard. 

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Ahh I see. Hope he can pick it up over the summer, it would be great to have him as a weapon.

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Carlos gets more PT, but Khalil out plays him on the field. I don't understand. 

Carlos has the better thighs. 

5 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Glad to see Woodyard making some noise, but where is Mike Williams?

4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Wasn't Williams someone that was having issues perimeter blocking, too?

5 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ahh I see. Hope he can pick it up over the summer, it would be great to have him as a weapon.

Seems a little odd considering he had all last year/this spring to learn the playbook and saw a fair amount of action in the fall. I wonder if his blocking hasn’t progressed much from last year. 

5 hours ago, Enhance said:

Wasn't Williams someone that was having issues perimeter blocking, too?

Yes. That’s why we saw a lot of Warner despite his 5 yards a catch. 

5 hours ago, Decked said:

Seems a little odd considering he had all last year/this spring to learn the playbook and saw a fair amount of action in the fall. I wonder if his blocking hasn’t progressed much from last year. 

The standard has changed, though. The staff expects more, and if guys like Woodyard or Hunt have really progressed then you can fall behind by just staying the same. 

I’m confident by S. Alabama that we have at least 4 or 5 ready to go, including those slotted at the R position. We are starting to bring in enough talent, though, that to be in that top group you have to beat out some people. Last year you could get time just by being the best of the worst.

Mike Williams knows the plays. It's just not translating on the field as many would like. 

3 minutes ago, GretnaHusker14 said:

Do we know how much of a rotation we will be seeing in the runningback room? Washington (assuming he is still availible), Bradley, Mazour, Robinson?

Don't forget About the guys coming in the fall. 

1 minute ago, GretnaHusker14 said:

Do we know how much of a rotation we will be seeing in the runningback room? Washington (assuming he is still availible), Bradley, Mazour, Robinson?

That room is about finding the 4th and 5th guy right now. 

Running back depth chart in August....1.D. Mills(if qualifies). 2.Mo Washington(if still on team) 3. Rhamir Johnson 4. Wyatt Mazour 5. Brody Belt 6. Jaylin Bradley....mix in Robinson and M. Jones.

• Confused 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Upvote 1

So, question for discussion purposes.

I think most would agree that we still won't have the depth at every position like a top 5 program in the country.  But, my question is if everyone would be healthy and eligible, how would you rank our starting lineup in the conference?  Meaning, the starting 11 on offense and starting 11 on defense, how would they stack up against the other team's starters in the country this next year going into the season?

I feel we stack up talent wise with the 25th to 10th ranked teams at most positions. Wr is not as good as the other top 25 teams. RB is scary, I'm not confident that Mills and Johnson can just come in and be the best two backs. However the most important position is QB and we are in the top 5 there so I like it.

6 minutes ago, JoeSakic2019 said:

I feel we stack up talent wise with the 25th to 10th ranked teams at most positions. Wr is not as good as the other top 25 teams. RB is scary, I'm not confident that Mills and Johnson can just come in and be the best two backs. However the most important position is QB and we are in the top 5 there so I like it.

So, how would you rank our starters in our conference or even our division?

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, question for discussion purposes.

I think most would agree that we still won't have the depth at every position like a top 5 program in the country.  But, my question is if everyone would be healthy and eligible, how would you rank our starting lineup in the conference?  Meaning, the starting 11 on offense and starting 11 on defense, how would they stack up against the other team's starters in the country this next year going into the season?

I realize this isn't quite your question but we had the B1G West champs beat until we melted down in the last five minutes.  And we only lost to the conference champs - and the team that finished the year #3 in the country - by 5 at their place.

In Frost's first year.

So I'm pretty sure we stack up pretty well with anyone in the conference.

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/3/2019 at 10:41 AM, Mavric said:

*** The "No. 1" base defense looked like this at one point: Darrion Daniels between Ben Stille and Carlos Davis up front; Mohamed Barry and Collin Miller at ILB; Tyrin Ferguson and Alex Davis at OLB; Deontai Williams and Marquel Dismuke at safety; Lamar Jackson and Dicaprio Bootle at corner. JoJo Domann was also in that rotation.

I think we may have finally found Alex Davis a role he excels at. In the spring game he played primarily as that on the line OLB pass rusher and he was an absolute menace. Did a great job not letting those much bigger tackles get their hands on him in pass rushing situations. Showed a nice ability to rush inside and outside from a wide technique as well as getting underneath the lineman’s pad level and just moving him out of the way.

He looks so much quicker this year, too. 

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 3

On 4/3/2019 at 9:35 PM, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Don't forget About the guys coming in the fall. 

the RB room is the most confusing part of them all......lots of variables, scary.

• Plus1 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

the RB room is the most confusing part of them all......lots of variables, scary.

Easiest position on offense to learn. We just need the dudes. I think we will be just fine because I like our O line to help out the backfield alot

• Upvote 1

O-Line and O-Line depth is my biggest concern. And that’s where it all starts, so potentially our Achilles heel.

35 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

O-Line and O-Line depth is my biggest concern. And that’s where it all starts, so potentially our Achilles heel.

For me, ILB beats it out slightly, just from a numbers standpoint. Better numbers on the offensive line, but we need better production. 

I think it's is important to note that we might not have one SR start on offense this year. The only possible two would be Woodyard or Williams. I think the defensive guys right now will fill in nicely next year as well. I hate to already think about 2020, but it could be a special year for us. 

10 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I think it's is important to note that we might not have one SR start on offense this year. The only possible two would be Woodyard or Williams. I think the defensive guys right now will fill in nicely next year as well. I hate to already think about 2020, but it could be a special year for us. 

There is plenty to be excited about, but we don't need to look past 2019. We're gonna have 10 or more wins this year. 2020 and beyond will be about maintaining high standards and gunning for championships on an annual basis.

• Plus1 1

I think it's important to remember with running back that last year we were in a similar position. Didn't look like we had anything great and oz broke out. Rbs sometimes suprise you. 

running back will surely be by committee......but we need one go to guy back there......still very concerned.

need Mills or Washington to make a splash......can't see Washington (even in  the best scenario, legally) not getting at least a 3 game suspension......

asking a lot from a true freshman, it's a rare breed that makes a big impact.

17 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

asking a lot from a true freshman,

If you're talking Mills, he isn't a true Freshman.

Maybe I misunderstood who you were talking about here.

The RBs that were on the field on Saturday will barely get any carries this year.  

Maybe Bradley will get a few.  The rest?  Basically none (of any meaningful variety).

The Spring Game was hard to take much from because of the lack of actual RBs and the QBs getting whistled down as soon as they were touched.

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

The RBs that were on the field on Saturday will barely get any carries this year.  

Maybe Bradley will get a few.  The rest?  Basically none (of any meaningful variety).

The Spring Game was hard to take much from because of the lack of actual RBs and the QBs getting whistled down as soon as they were touched.

I think the spring game also showed that we need Mo and Mills, at least Mo for sure. 

32 minutes ago, Ulty said:

There is plenty to be excited about, but we don't need to look past 2019. We're gonna have 10 or more wins this year. 2020 and beyond will be about maintaining high standards and gunning for championships on an annual basis.

Our schedule lines up to have a good year, but we still have issues IMO. 10 wins might be a stretch at this point, but it's possible for sure. If we can protect Lincoln we are in great shape. 

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I know we have a whole different thread for Washington's situation but this is on topic here - I am feeling more as time goes on here with his saga that the likelihood of him even being on the team is diminishing. That's my honest, reasoned take and I could be and totally hope to be wrong.

If Washington doesn't play, the situation changes drastically. We're what, 3.5 months out from fall camp? What I saw from the guys that were getting carries on Saturday was not great, and that is a bit concerning.

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, Undone said:

I know we have a hole different thread for Washington's situation but this is on topic here - I am feeling more as time goes on here with his saga that the likelihood of him even being on the team is diminishing. That's my honest, reasoned take and I could be and totally hope to be wrong.

It's hard to say.  I have a hard time believing he'll get more than a misdemeanor and if that's what it is I think a game or two suspension would be tops.  We'll see I guess.

38 minutes ago, Undone said:

If Washington doesn't play, the situation changes drastically. We're what, 3.5 months out from fall camp? What I saw from the guys that were getting carries on Saturday was not great, and that is a bit concerning.

Like I said, the guys that were out there on Saturday will not be the guys out there this fall.  Yes, that means some guys will have to show up and pick things up quickly.  But that's exactly the situation Bell and Washington were in last year and they were out there from the start.  Running back is the easiest position to come in and play right away.

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It's hard to say.  I have a hard time believing he'll get more than a misdemeanor and if that's what it is I think a game or two suspension would be tops.  We'll see I guess.

Like I said, the guys that were out there on Saturday will not be the guys out there this fall.  Yes, that means some guys will have to show up and pick things up quickly.  But that's exactly the situation Bell and Washington were in last year and they were out there from the start.  Running back is the easiest position to come in and play right away.

And, one of the guys coming has P5 experience. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I usually agree that RB is the easiest position to come in and play, but in our offense the curve is a little more steep bc ideally our RBs can play a decent amount of WR too.  Being able to play with great tempo and be locked into your assignment for  a couple different positions and various motions will make it more difficult to learn than a typical offense. 

With that being said I think we will be as good, if not better at RB this year than we were last year.  MW will take a big step, Mills can take some carries and Rahmir will be able to at least come in and perform similar to MW last year.  Another piece that will help this group will be the guys blocking for them upfront.  

58 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

I usually agree that RB is the easiest position to come in and play, but in our offense the curve is a little more steep bc ideally our RBs can play a decent amount of WR too.  Being able to play with great tempo and be locked into your assignment for  a couple different positions and various motions will make it more difficult to learn than a typical offense. 

They *can* play some WR but they don't have to.  We have at least a couple guys who are going to be doing some of both but they are all already here. Washington was the only primary RB who really played much WR last year.

And - again - both Washington and Bell did it last year.  So we've already seen it happen.  Washington even go worked in at WR before too long.  We don't need any of the new guys to play an WR because we already have we already have Spielman and Jones.  All they have to do is get up to speed at RB, which is the easiest spot at which to do that.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

They *can* play some WR but they don't have to.  We have at least a couple guys who are going to be doing some of both but they are all already here. Washington was the only primary RB who really played much WR last year.

And - again - both Washington and Bell did it last year.  So we've already seen it happen.  Washington even go worked in at WR before too long.  We don't need any of the new guys to play an WR because we already have we already have Spielman and Jones.  All they have to do is get up to speed at RB, which is the easiest spot at which to do that.

You are correct that we can operate our offense without an RB that can play WR.  However, the offense won't do everything they want.  They want the ability to line the RB up in the back field then motion him out or just the opposite.  If the RB can't really play WR yet, it greatly diminishes what the defense has to account for.

So, we can do it, it's just not optimal.  

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

You are correct that we can operate our offense without an RB that can play WR.  However, the offense won't do everything they want.  They want the ability to line the RB up in the back field then motion him out or just the opposite.  If the RB can't really play WR yet, it greatly diminishes what the defense has to account for.

Yes, but we can still do that.  We already have other guys that can do that.  So they new guys don't have to be able to do that right off the bat.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Also, that's a little different from really playing WR.  I'm talking about lining up as a WR and really playing that position to get the mis-match like Washington last year.  Not just motioning them out of the backfield.  Probably a small distinction but I don't think we really ever asked Ozigbo or Bell to actually play the WR spot last year.  They were basically just a RB, which is what I'm talking about.  They would still motion out from time to time but I don't think that's the same thing as really playing WR.

Some guys route tree is nothing more than a swing pass. Washington is special in that way. Ozigbo wasn’t, but he did other things well. This offense utilizes both types.

A big advantage this year is Miles Jones. He looked very solid. More as a receiver on the stat line, but some runs got called back. If he can keep things together, that’s 10-15 snaps of versatility that can compliment any other back.

That’s what we have to remember here. 15 touches is a lot in this offense, especially early when this staff likes to play a lot of backs. None of these backs have to come in right away and do everything. Early in the season, it’s not like anyone has any tape on them, anyhow.

Frost will tailor the offense around what he has.  The spring game is for entertainment, a glorified scrimmage.  With todays media coverage, everything is base.  Plus, there were several players that did not play and some yet to come.  I have concern about depth at LB and RB.  We can be a special offense with Washington, but we still need a back to grind, eat up time and not lose the ball in the 4th quarter.  This job will probably go to a new comers.

25 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Frost will tailor the offense around what he has.  The spring game is for entertainment, a glorified scrimmage.  With todays media coverage, everything is base.  Plus, there were several players that did not play and some yet to come.  I have concern about depth at LB and RB.  We can be a special offense with Washington, but we still need a back to grind, eat up time and not lose the ball in the 4th quarter.  This job will probably go to a new comers.

Mills is that guy