Way Too Early 2019 Depth Chart

BIG ERN

People have already pointed out the big question marks at safety also. A big part of our issues with getting to the quarterback probably had as much to do with not covering well down field as it did with physically dominant pass rushers. Have to be able to cover for that extra little bit so your guys can get to the quarterback.

I'd say Williams is a sure fire starter, but the other is unclear. Really, really need to shore up better play at safety.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

A big part of our issues with getting to the quarterback probably had as much to do with not covering well down field as it did with physically dominant pass rushers.

Our secondary play wasn't stellar last season, but I don't agree with this. There were numerous times when the coverage would hold up and you'd see the opposing QB sitting in the pocket comfortably for 5-6 seconds, while the D-line played patty-cake with the O-Line. Effective pass rushers is the number one need on the team right now, and what's worse is that I'm not sure it was addressed in the 2019 class.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Our secondary play wasn't stellar last season, but I don't agree with this. There were numerous times when the coverage would hold up and you'd see the opposing QB sitting in the pocket comfortably for 5-6 seconds, while the D-line played patty-cake with the O-Line. Effective pass rushers is the number one need on the team right now, and what's worse is that I'm not sure it was addressed in the 2019 class.

I think it was a combonation of both. Our defense wasn't good last year. Secondary was less than average and the pass rush wasn't anywhere to be found.

I really like some young kids we have, just going to take time for them to mature. Taylor, Cam Jones, Pola-Gates, Newsome, Wright. 

3 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Effective pass rushers is the number one need on the team right now, and what's worse is that I'm not sure it was addressed in the 2019 class.

And some of the pieces they did bring in are probably guys we won't see making a significant impact for another two or three years.

I'm hopeful for a guy like Caleb Tannor. I feel like he's sort of forgotten about alongside his potential. He played in something like 12 games as a true freshman. He didn't have big numbers, but, he also didn't show up until the summer before fall camp. This is the first time he'll have Duval's winter conditioning, spring practice and full summer workouts. I'm also fairly certain he's not even 19 yet. If he's going to break out, 2019 may still not be the year, but I think he's going to be in a much better position to make an impact next fall.

Another name I'd throw out to watch at pass rusher is Collin Miller. I know was an ILB last year, but that felt like a desperation depth move where they knew he was smart enough to learn all 4 positions - I think he's a more natural fit at OLB. 6'3, 245 ain't bad, and a couple years ago some coaches mentioned him as a good pass rusher on the scout team. That was either Diaco or Banker though, so needs to be taken with a serious grain of salt. But I'm hoping another year in the playbook, Honas coming back healthy, and Henrich and/or Hannah competing for playing time gives Miller a shot at OLB again. If Honas doesn't come back 100% or neither of the freshman are ready, I don't know how they would move him from the middle though.

43 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Another name I'd throw out to watch at pass rusher is Collin Miller. I know was an ILB last year, but that felt like a desperation depth move where they knew he was smart enough to learn all 4 positions - I think he's a more natural fit at OLB. 6'3, 245 ain't bad, and a couple years ago some coaches mentioned him as a good pass rusher on the scout team. That was either Diaco or Banker though, so needs to be taken with a serious grain of salt. But I'm hoping another year in the playbook, Honas coming back healthy, and Henrich and/or Hannah competing for playing time gives Miller a shot at OLB again. If Honas doesn't come back 100% or neither of the freshman are ready, I don't know how they would move him from the middle though.

Colin Miller will be staying at ILB for the exact reason you point out - we need depth. Miller will compete with Honas for the starting job and even if he doesn't win it will see lots of meaningful snaps at ILB. 

As we all know, guys on this roster are going to have to take the next step, make that next jump, etc.

Adrian has to make that jump and be in the top 5 of that qb discussion nationally.

Our returners on O-line have to make that jump into all 1st team Big Ten caliber.

Maurice needs to become a superstar, and believe me he is more than capable of being one of the best all around players in college football. He is rare. 

Jaron Woodyard, Mike Williams, and Jaevon McQuitty need to grab the bull by the horns and do something. Miles Jones needs to break out, and become the Adrian Killins of this Offense.

Jack Stoll- Time to be one of the best TE's in the country. 

On Defense

The twins need to play at DE, and have to become all Big Ten DE's (They most certainly have the ability).

Damion Daniels has to take a big step in becoming a force. All Four Quarters, and we will all see how good he is.

Ben Stille has had time to get used to the extra mass, now its time to add 10 more lbs, and come off the edge quicker. 

Honas and Colin Miller have to be sharp now. No excuses

Mo Barry needs to fine tune the small things like angles and tackling in space.

Tyrin Ferguson- stay healthy

Caleb Tannor- Let's be real. It's time to become a star.

Deontai Williams, become the DUDE of that secondary and get the defense down.

Marquel Dismuke needs to decide whether he wants to be a guy and do everything the right way.

Cam Jones and CJ Smith, get your bodies right, and learn. You will earn your time if you just do those things.

JoJo- stay healthy and you will flourish.

Dicap- get your speed back, and take your body to the next level.

Lamar Jackson- master the art of being a cover corner. Also you're 6ft 3in 215 lbs. if you hit someone going full speed, chances are, they will go back and not you. 

Cam Taylor- Take that next step and force the staff to increase your snaps to 25-30 a game.

Braxton Clark- Work your butt off in the weight room and see where that potential takes you.

Last thing, Nebraska can make a big jump if they can have incredibly efficient Special Teams.

I had a lot of coffee this morning and I am fired up.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1