Sam Keller to Get Paid

Mavric

19 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've always found it fascinating how people don't care if a company does something it shouldn't do by using something that isn't theirs and someone is wronged while creating a game....if it's a great game.

We are all hypocrites but most of us hate admitting it.

I would rather have the game back (well, not anymore but back in the day I would have) but if they were using my likeness and I wasn't being paid I would rather be getting the money.  It is how we are wired.

Not sure how a class action works but isn't his lawyer going to gobble up 33% of this 15k? 

8 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Who profits more off the kids' likeness than the broadcasting companies who air the games? I think that's what Saunders was getting at.

Those graphics show their name and an actual graphic of their body. not some randomized face with messed up heights, weights, birth places. I did the rosters for NCAA one year and I feel those companies make more money than anyone based off of it.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Saunders said:

They are 100% similar.

Whether you're paying ESPN or EA, you are paying a company to use someones likeness without compensation.

No.

The player actually joining a team, going to practice, going out on the field of play knowing the TV cameras are there to show it....is TOTALLY different than someone randomly using their likeness to make money.

You can argue all you want, the courts agree with me.

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

We are all hypocrites but most of us hate admitting it.

I would rather have the game back (well, not anymore but back in the day I would have) but if they were using my likeness and I wasn't being paid I would rather be getting the money.  It is how we are wired.

Not sure how a class action works but isn't his lawyer going to gobble up 33% of this 15k? 

I don't even think it was really about wanting money, they were hoping this lawsuit would start the conversation about the other ways schools make money off of athletes. I wish we had the game back, but it's really EA's fault. People would have requested accurate rosters none stop if the game released with randomized ones, but they'd still be making bank. And now anyone can create rosters and share them for free, so we could still have accurate rosters without the players likenesses being monetized.

Hopefully this getting wrapped up opens the door for the game to come back, but I don't think it did what Keller and the others hoped. Most people I know just really want the game back, and whether it's fair or not to the athletes.

11 hours ago, Dewiz said:

The only similarities from the players from real life to their counter parts on the game was their numbers and that’s it. Height, weight, birth place, etc we’re all wrong 

That's just not true. They occasionally had major errors like the wrong skin color for random individuals, but height, weight, home state, and attributes were all modeled on the real players. They randomized the city within the state and left the names off to try and claim it's not the players' exact likenesses, but especially considering the number of players they were very accurate. In the later games even their equipment like helmet style and facemask were what the really player wore.

• Plus1 2
26 minutes ago, Saunders said:

They are 100% similar.

Whether you're paying ESPN or EA, you are paying a company to use someones likeness without compensation.

They’re somewhat similar. I don’t know what 100% similar means but they’re not that. 

The schools are making a lot of $ from the broadcast and using some of that $ to provide the scholarship players with free school and all the others with free food and an exercise program. They aren’t making sh** from a video game.

There would also never be a video game if not for the TV broadcast of the actual players playing the game. In fact, the players would get absolutely nothing without the broadcast. They’d be no different than an intramural team.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

This is the worst take in the history of this message board. Congrats to Scotty for finally being off the hook, where ever he is. 

Does that mean we should start a bring back Scotty thread? Reminisce on all the fun he brought to Huskerboard? Did he get the Huskerboard death penalty or is he just on probation.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Does that mean we should start a bring back Scotty thread? Reminisce on all the fun he brought to Huskerboard? Did he get the Huskerboard death penalty or is he just on probation.

I'm pretty sure that execution already took place. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

No.

The player actually joining a team, going to practice, going out on the field of play knowing the TV cameras are there to show it....is TOTALLY different than someone randomly using their likeness to make money.

You can argue all you want, the courts agree with me.

It's essentially the same thing. The players sign off their "likeness use" to allow the schools to market the team, which in turn sells their media rights to the NCAA/CLC. That same governing ruleset was used to license the schools for the EA game. What was argued in court was the direct sale of a product. But your TV subscription is the same thing.

You can argue that it's different, but the same rules are governing both.  People smarter than me have been following it since the O'Bannon case first became a thing, and have repeatedly said that this is the gateway to players getting paid. There's a lawsuit in the works against the TV networks. It's going to happen, they're going to win, and the players are gonna get paid.

• Plus1 1