Sam Keller to Get Paid

Mavric

I don’t think I ever played the game, but I played a Madden game on our apple IIe and the players were just little dots on the screen, and I thought that was the greatest game ever because I could create my own team and name all of the players. So I made a Nebraska team. I got the full roster from the Omaha World Herald and created every single player on it. I even gave them stats based on what string they were.

Also, you could design your own custom plays. And there was one offensive play that was a guaranteed touchdown every single time. So let’s just say Nebraska won a lot of national championships. 

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I get your point. It was always my favorite game, but that probably had more to do with it being the only college football game available most of the time.

Which is exactly my point. Like I had fun playing the game too because of that. Back in HS/MS I realized how bad the game really was and stopped buying it every year and started buying it every 2 or 3 years unless there was a major update to it. 

34 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

So $60 yearly for a game made by a company that yearly gets voted the worst company that had rather lackluster additions to the game, half of which had been on Madden for a year or two, is a good game to you?

EA knew what was going to happen to the franchise and cut spending on it. People whine and complain about FIFA/Madden/NBA Live but act like the NCAA franchise was any different. If it was still around today it would just be ultimate team and loot crates.

I’m not saying you couldn’t have fun playing it, but without a doubt it was a bad game.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Saunders said:

It's essentially the same thing. The players sign off their "likeness use" to allow the schools to market the team, which in turn sells their media rights to the NCAA/CLC. That same governing ruleset was used to license the schools for the EA game. What was argued in court was the direct sale of a product. But your TV subscription is the same thing.

You can argue that it's different, but the same rules are governing both.  People smarter than me have been following it since the O'Bannon case first became a thing, and have repeatedly said that this is the gateway to players getting paid. There's a lawsuit in the works against the TV networks. It's going to happen, they're going to win, and the players are gonna get paid.

Players DO get paid right now from the schools they play for.  Education, food, housing, entertainment, training for a future career, healthcare if injured, life skills training, transportation back and forth to home, ...etc.  You can try to argue that they don't get paid enough and that would be a valid discussion.  But, to claim they don't get paid now....well....is just not true.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

So $60 yearly for a game made by a company that yearly gets voted the worst company that had rather lackluster additions to the game, half of which had been on Madden for a year or two, is a good game to you?

EA knew what was going to happen to the franchise and cut spending on it. People whine and complain about FIFA/Madden/NBA Live but act like the NCAA franchise was any different. If it was still around today it would just be ultimate team and loot crates.

I’m not saying you couldn’t have fun playing it, but without a doubt it was a bad game.

It was a good game, the issue there is they were reselling largely the same game at the price of a brand new one each year. That doesn't affect the game's quality, it was still really solid. Just absolutely not worth the extra $60 each year. Incidentally one of the main reasons people bought the 'new' game every year was for updated rosters, which does back up the players' case of schools/EA profiting from their likenesses to some degree.

To your second point, people whine about FIFA/Madden/NBA games, but they still buy them. They would have kept buying NCAA as well.

13 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It was a good game, the issue there is they were reselling largely the same game at the price of a brand new one each year. That doesn't affect the game's quality, it was still really solid. Just absolutely not worth the extra $60 each year. 

You’re telling me if GTA VI came out this year but it was just GTA V with slightly better graphics and and a couple new missions and things to do and was being sold for $60 it would be a great game because GTA V was a great game? 

No. You’re giving it a pass because it’s a sports game that you enjoyed.

27 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

You’re telling me if GTA VI came out this year but it was just GTA V with slightly better graphics and and a couple new missions and things to do and was being sold for $60 it would be a great game because GTA V was a great game? 

No. You’re giving it a pass because it’s a sports game that you enjoyed.

I think in a vacuum, it is still a great game whether it's sports related or not. It's not in a vacuum though, you're just counting the other factors (extreme similarity to another game and cost) against the quality of the game and I don't. It's really semantics though, because bottom line I agree it's not worth $60 each year.

I would just say the game is objectively (as objective as it can be with games anyway) good but not an improvement on the older and now cheaper game. But the gameplay was great, it's not like they released a piece of crap each year. It was a solid game, just never anything much better than the last one.

9 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Dynasty Mode was very important in my life when I was a youngster....

Three friends and I played a bunch of years on dynasty mode, all having a team going at the same time.  Tricky part was back in the early 2000s we had to get some sort of cable - can't remember what it was now - to be able to connect to our computer to be able to download the game file and email it to the next guy after each game.  It seemed like quite the production back then.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:52 PM, Huskers93-97 said:

Fair that no one ever bought the game because of Sam Keller’s likeness. Him getting 15k is a steal. It just always seemed like a sad reach to me. I’m sure Reggie bush helped sell the game but not Sam Keller 

If I remember correctly, the cover players do actually get paid.  That's why they use players who are no longer eligible.  I was heartbroken when I bought the Sega game with Tommy Frazier on the cover, but not in the game.

• Plus1 2