Most Under-Rated Husker of All-Time

It's probably one of the guys who labored in the trenches, but I'm going with Gerry Gdowski who could have been a Husker legend with one or two more seasons.

I'm afraid that at this point, Jammal Lord is over-rated for being under-rated. It's not that Lord didn't have talent around him, it's that he made the offense one-dimensional, and that's how he compiled his stats. 

Also....nice to see a Freeman White shout out. That takes me back. 

• Plus1 1

Marlon Lucky. 

He gets lost in the shuffle because he was a Callahan guy, and three of the guys that followed him (Helu, Burkhead, and Abdullah) were three of the best in program history. The guy was pretty darn productive w/ 2400 rushing yards, and 1400 more receiving. 26 TDs.

Edit: To give you an idea of how close he was in production to the three I mentioned (Ameer was in a class of his own):

Abdullah -  5278 scrimmage yds - 46 TDs

Burkhead - 3836 scrimmage yds - 35 TDs

Helu Jr.  -    3905 scrimmage yds -  28 TDs

Lucky    -     3772 scrimmage yds - 26 TDs

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

24 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Marlon Lucky. 

He gets lost in the shuffle because he was a Callahan guy, and three of the guys that followed him (Helu, Burkhead, and Abdullah) were three of the best in program history. The guy was pretty darn productive w/ 2400 rushing yards, and 1400 more receiving. 26 TDs.

Edit: To give you an idea of how close he was in production to the three I mentioned (Ameer was in a class of his own):

Abdullah -  5278 scrimmage yds - 46 TDs

Burkhead - 3836 scrimmage yds - 35 TDs

Helu Jr.  -    3905 scrimmage yds -  28 TDs

Lucky    -     3772 scrimmage yds - 26 TDs

I agree. Surprisingly enough Lucky worked for me in Omaha for about 6 months. Really great guy, most of the people in my company were worried about hiring him. Thought he would be arrogant, feel entitled. But he worked just like everybody else, moved back to California a few months after he stopped working for us.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, AlaSker said:

I agree. Surprisingly enough Lucky worked for me in Omaha for about 6 months. Really great guy, most of the people in my company were worried about hiring him. Thought he would be arrogant, feel entitled. But he worked just like everybody else, moved back to California a few months after he stopped working for us.  

Honestly I bet it would be kinda hard to be one of those players who was a starter but didn’t make it in the NFL and wasn’t legendary enough at Nebraska to do signings or advertisements. (I feel the same way about has been actors). You go from being idolized on campus and then that all goes away. The one bonus is I bet someone like him could still find a job here easily even if unemployment got high.

Just now, Moiraine said:

Honestly I bet it would be kinda hard to be one of those players who was a starter but didn’t make it in the NFL and wasn’t legendary enough at Nebraska to do signings or advertisements. (I feel the same way about has been actors). You go from being idolized on campus and then that all goes away. The one bonus is I bet someone like him could still find a job here easily even if unemployment got high.

I asked him about it once or twice. He was on the practice squad for the Bengals for a while (made a nice chunk of money doing that). Bounced around the arena leagues after that, but he said his body had taken too much of a beating, back problems and hip problems. Said he really regretted not going to the draft after his junior year. 

My company wasn't/isn't filled with Husker die-hards, but I knew who he was. 

My boss believed he had just ran out of money, but he really had invested a lot of it in California businesses.

My boss didn't quite understand the salary of a practice squad player either, had to prove it to him that he was making nearly 10x as much as most of our employees for every year he was there.

4 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Because this position doesn't get much love and I pretty much agree with this entire list: https://huskercorner.com/2016/07/17/nebraska-footballs-all-time-top-5-tight-ends/2/

Good call posting this.  I'm always gonna play the 'what if' game with Matt Herian.

It's hard for me not to skew towards O-Lineman with this due to the nature of them being overshadowed by skill players.  If Jaimes continues on his path he might be able to stake a claim to this as a 4 year starter at LT which is crazy if you think about it.  I'd probably throw a guy like Matt Slauson in here.  3 year starter, multiple all Big XII but gets lost in the shuffle due to the Cally years.

2 hours ago, AlaSker said:

I asked him about it once or twice. He was on the practice squad for the Bengals for a while (made a nice chunk of money doing that). Bounced around the arena leagues after that, but he said his body had taken too much of a beating, back problems and hip problems. Said he really regretted not going to the draft after his junior year. 

My company wasn't/isn't filled with Husker die-hards, but I knew who he was. 

My boss believed he had just ran out of money, but he really had invested a lot of it in California businesses.

My boss didn't quite understand the salary of a practice squad player either, had to prove it to him that he was making nearly 10x as much as most of our employees for every year he was there.

Yep. I don’t know what the minimum pay was back then but it’s $130,000 now. It won’t set you up for life but it’s more than almost everyone gets paid right out of college. If you could do that for a few years it would be a great start. 

As long as you’re mature for a 22 year old and don’t take out loans for a $500,000 house and a bunch of cars :)

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Yep. I don’t know what the minimum pay was back then but it’s $130,000 now. It won’t set you up for life but it’s more than almost everyone gets paid right out of college. If you could do that for a few years it would be a great start. 

He alluded to more than that, based off of his investments. But yes, 3 years of that would be a nice start, considering its only 17 weeks out of the year.

11 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

As long as you’re mature for a 22 year old and don’t take out loans for a $500,000 house and a bunch of cars :)

If you are smart a few years of that could certainly set you up for life. Thats $100,000 a year to put straight into investments.

Spend time learning to trade FOREX and that kind of money turns into a lifelong income.

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

If you are smart a few years of that could certainly set you up for life. Thats $100,000 a year to put straight into investments.

Spend time learning to trade FOREX and that kind of money turns into a lifelong income.

LOL.  Currency trading is one of the hardest and most unpredictable trades you can make in the market.  Some of the smartest/best people in the world get it wrong A LOT.  You think some amateur is going to become an expert on something like that?

On another note, I know someone personally who is on the practice squad for the Rams and even sees some playing time and it's not all it's cut-out to be.