Youngstown AD expects Bo Pelini to stay on as head coach

knapplc

February 2019 marks the final payment of that sweet, sweet Nebraska cash for former Head Coach Bo Pelini.  There's been a lot of speculation about Bo's future at Youngstown State, especially in light of his disastrous 2018 season that saw the Penguins go 4-7 and miss the playoffs. But YSU AD Ron Strollo expects Bo to be back next season.

Bo Pelini, YSU "expect relationship to continue"

A deal hasn't been signed, but an understanding has been reached regarding Bo Pelini's future as Youngstown State's football coach, athletic director Ron Strollo confirmed Saturday morning.

Strollo and Pelini met for four hours on Friday and "both sides expect the relationship to continue," Strollo said.

Pelini's current four-year contract is slated to expire in February. Strollo said terms for his new deal will be finalized in February. No changes are expected with the rest of Pelini's staff. Pelini did not return a call for comment.

Pelini is 27-22 at YSU and is coming off a 4-7 season in 2018. In 2016, The Penguins went to the FCS national championship in 2016, losing to James Madison, 28-14.

The wording of Strollo's statement is interesting, in that it's not a guarantee and leaves room for both sides to move on.  But what's probably more interesting is that both sides - Pelini and the Penguins - allowed Bo's contract to all but expire before renewing it.  Coaches are typically kept on a four-year contract cycle for recruiting assurances. That Bo's contract wasn't renewed until now suggests one or both parties anticipated that Bo may not be at YSU right now.

• Plus1 1

Assuming Bo stays there and they make up a 'new' contract, I will be quite surprised if his pay does not increase dramatically with the effect of the initial contract being to suck NU for all they thought they could for the term of his NU buy out and then, after we've paid all along, he gets a big jump.   The likelihood was an under the table agreement which deferred a chunck of his first four years pay until he got as much as he thought he could possibly get.   Likely get more like double or even triple his prior YSU salary on renewal.  

10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Assuming Bo stays there and they make up a 'new' contract, I will be quite surprised if his pay does not increase dramatically with the effect of the initial contract being to suck NU for all they thought they could for the term of his NU buy out and then, after we've paid all along, he gets a big jump.   The likelihood was an under the table agreement which deferred a chunck of his first four years pay until he got as much as he thought he could possibly get.   Likely get more like double or even triple his prior YSU salary on renewal.  

That might have been what happened, but his results haven't really been good enough to justify doing it now. And if they actually made a signed agreement (which I doubt) I imagine Nebraska could sue.

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

I always liked Bo. Not the best coach or demeanor, but he got a lot out of his players. Hope he finds success. 

I am in the minority that had no problem with his demeanor, even after his tapes and tirades.  I understand where he was coming from.  But, he was definitely growing stagnant and not showing much improvement, so i had no problem with him being let go.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

I am in the minority that had no problem with his demeanor, even after his tapes and tirades.  I understand where he was coming from.  But, he was definitely growing stagnant and not showing much improvement, so i had no problem with him being let go.

For sure. I wasn’t trying to get into a debate on his time here. Just will root for the guy if he gets some sort of D1 job. 

• Plus1 2