Youngstown AD expects Bo Pelini to stay on as head coach

knapplc

1 hour ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

I am in the minority that had no problem with his demeanor, even after his tapes and tirades.  I understand where he was coming from.  But, he was definitely growing stagnant and not showing much improvement, so i had no problem with him being let go.

Results matter to me, too. I’m willing to tolerate a certain amount of eccentric behavior, this isn’t a sane game played by sane people. But I can’t separate his behavior from his on field results, they aren’t independent. A head coach has to manage all of these external factors, like media/fans/boosters, to recruit and have success on the field.

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

That might have been what happened, but his results haven't really been good enough to justify doing it now. And if they actually made a signed agreement (which I doubt) I imagine Nebraska could sue.

They did make a signed agreement, it's called a contract of employment.  No matter what they paid him,  agreed to pay him later,  if they offered to buy him actual penguins it wouldn't change anything of what Nebraska owed him beyond deducting his current pay/the value of the penguins. 

He could have stayed unemployed and gotten all the money if he wanted.  The fact that he is getting paid something reduced what NU owed, and that is a net gain. 

Everyone worries so much about what happens after a guy is fired,  but those terms were set day #1 of contract/extension. He was going to get all that money no matter what.  No one can sue for anything, because he is owed every cent of that money no matter what he does after he is fired. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Assuming Bo stays there and they make up a 'new' contract, I will be quite surprised if his pay does not increase dramatically with the effect of the initial contract being to suck NU for all they thought they could for the term of his NU buy out and then, after we've paid all along, he gets a big jump.   The likelihood was an under the table agreement which deferred a chunck of his first four years pay until he got as much as he thought he could possibly get.   Likely get more like double or even triple his prior YSU salary on renewal.  

If they did that I'd probably expect them to be greeted with a lawsuit from UNL the next day. 

I hope Bo does well and I rooted for him until the very end, but too much of his behavior (especially at the very end) revealed a troubled human. Didn't make me hate the guy, but made me extremely thankful he wasn't leading our program anymore. He's got legitimate mental health issues to behave in such a petulent, childish and vindictive way. His need to burn every bridge on his way out is indicative of a personality disorder imo.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

If they did that I'd probably expect them to be greeted with a lawsuit from UNL the next day. 

I hope Bo does well and I rooted for him until the very end, but too much of his behavior (especially at the very end) revealed a troubled human. Didn't make me hate the guy, but made me extremely thankful he wasn't leading our program anymore. He's got legitimate mental health issues to behave in such a petulent, childish and vindictive way. His need to burn every bridge on his way out is indicative of a personality disorder imo.

If Nebraska didn’t sue mike Riley for his sham of 50 k salary at Oregon state they aren’t suing bo  pelini. Riley had lowest salary in d1

when I asked moos about this on a radio show he said that they had budgeted for Riley making no money to defer the number we owed him and that it was “taken care of”

nu has decided that they are just going to eat these things to avoid any bad publicity

pelinis salary is in pretty much in line with others in his role

rileys was not at all

I’m sure both were trying to stick it to nu

but Riley’s was far more egregious 

• Plus1 3

I love all the legal experts here that want all these law suits. 

They are not canning a guy to sue him...they are canning him to get it done.  Bo didn't take the monthly payments to f#&% anyone...he took it because that is what he wanted.  People act like he should have been working two and three jobs so that the buyout was less for NU.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, knapplc said:

What Bo should do is take a Defensive Coordinator position at a D1 school. Good money, doing what he's best suited for, and it gets him out of the front line of all those interviews.

I wonder if all the fans that whined about Chinander last season, would be eager to see Bo as our DC in the future.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, teachercd said:

I love all the legal experts here that want all these law suits. 

They are canning a guy to sue him...they are canning him to get it done.  Bo didn't take the monthly payments to f#&% anyone...he took it because that is what he wanted.  People act like he should have been working two and three jobs so that the buyout was less for NU.

That's true- the difference is- Bo was being paid right about market rate for his level of coaching- IAA HC

IMO Bos a different cat,  he isnt in it to be rich, he does it because he loves it and he wants to be in a place he and his family can feel comfortable. Youngstown is where he's from, hes got a lot of pride growing up there. Hes got lots of friends and family there AND he got paid well and market rates to coach there. Im guessing he never has to work again if he chose not to. 

Riley OTOH is a completely different story. He was the LOWEST paid coach in DI by nearly $40,000 and for the role he was playing in the PAC 10 he was underpaid by over $300,0000- was NOT being paid market rates. So NU doesnt have any ground to stand on with Bo- it has plenty of ground to stand on when it comes to Smilin Mike. 

At the end of the day, neither were near the standard we expect for NU coaches. One because he was incompetent and lazy, the other because he couldnt get NU to the level we expect, turned on the fans, couldnt work and play well with others and didnt represent the University well. Im not a big fan of either- but one was lazy and purposely screwed NU over when it came to his next coaching contract, the other didnt. So Im not tossing rocks at Bo, Smilin Mike- yes.  

NU chose not to sue Smilin Mike to avoid any bad pub, Mike knew that, so he purposely negotiated a $50,000 contract that cheated NU out of about $300,000 a year- which was the salary he should have been getting there. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1