Youngstown AD expects Bo Pelini to stay on as head coach

knapplc

On 2/2/2019 at 3:31 AM, OTHusker said:

If Nebraska didn’t sue mike Riley for his sham of 50 k salary at Oregon state they aren’t suing bo  pelini. Riley had lowest salary in d1

when I asked moos about this on a radio show he said that they had budgeted for Riley making no money to defer the number we owed him and that it was “taken care of”

nu has decided that they are just going to eat these things to avoid any bad publicity

pelinis salary is in pretty much in line with others in his role

rileys was not at all

I’m sure both were trying to stick it to nu

but Riley’s was far more egregious 

we paid Riley off with a lump sum so all of us that thought it was a sham were slightly mistaken considering his 50k salary had nothing to do with his oregon state salary correct? or am I stupid? 

• Thanks 1
On 2/1/2019 at 8:54 PM, MacNCheeze said:

Glad we got Bo paid off, but i dont see the ill will for him.  He might of had some nasty parting words when he left, but i cant fault him for being upset if it was justified or not.  I honestly think MIke Riley and Bill Callahan did alot more to hurt this program than Bo ever did.  Both of those two coaches did alot more to alter the way we did things around here than Bo did.  Probably not the most popular opinion but its how i see it.

No you are correct

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, OTHusker said:

Your article is wrong....it states we made payments which is standard but incorrect as we paid him his lump sum instead of the monthly payments. 

• Fire 1

Still to this day I think he was a pretty good coach overall.  Just couldn't assemble a staff that could get him over the hump.  Had he checked his ego a bit and got guys that didn't just do whatever he said, maybe he is still here today.  I still don't care about his angry face sideline demeanor.

• Plus1 2

I've always felt Bo Pelini was an objectively "good" coach. Winning nine games every year, consistently recruiting in the area of the top 25, helping to cultivate Team Jack, graduating players at a strong clip, etc., are all things that matter and, again, should be considered objectively "good."

But, I always go back to a few of the tangible things that made his "good" not "good enough:"

- He and his staff whiffed in some key developmental and recruiting areas time and again (perhaps most notable was the 2010 defensive line recruits, a group that didn't pan out overall and cost Pelini well into the early B1G years).

- they couldn't cultivate an elite talent at the QB position (Martinez had elite flashes but was plagued by turnovers, and TA was really good but not great)

- was out-coached more often than not in some of the biggest games with the biggest implications

- a poor and angry attitude (it wouldn't have mattered as much if he was an elite winner like Saban, but he wasn't)

There are other negatives as well as other things he did really well. But, again, it all goes back to just being objectively "good," and not "good enough."

• Plus1 5

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

they couldn't cultivate an elite talent at the QB position (Martinez had elite flashes but was plagued by turnovers, and TA was really good but not great)

I’ve never liked the dual role QB/OC coach that so many teams, including Pelini and Riley, use. Tell a non-football viewer that a team has a dedicated TE or Special Teams coach but not a dedicated QB coach and their head nearly explodes. It just makes no sense. In my opinion, it’s always been more about control (and sometimes ego) than efficacy. The QB is the most important offensive piece so they feel they must be their coach. 

When Frost was put in this position at Oregon, he didn’t pretend that having played the position meant he was qualified to teach the nuanced fundamentals of the position. So he sought the advice of someone who did, and when given the chance to hire that expert he did. It’s probably been the biggest single factor in Frost’s success.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Redux said:

Well, they will quickly find out what we found out for 3 years.  Careful what you wish for.

Don't get me wrong, we needed a change.  But it took a long time for that change to pay off, actually still awaiting the pay off.

I was uncomfortable with the change at the time, and though it's worked out now (by getting Frost), I still think it was the wrong move. If you're going to fire a coach who wins 9-10 games every year, you better have a home run hire coming in, not a library card carrying Mr. Rogers in oversized sweats.

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I was uncomfortable with the change at the time, and though it's worked out now (by getting Frost), I still think it was the wrong move. If you're going to fire a coach who wins 9-10 games every year, you better have a home run hire coming in, not a library card carrying Mr. Rogers in oversized sweats.

That's just it, Eichorst was hired to fire Bo Pelini.  The idiot's who hired him didn't think any further than that.  They just assumed he would hire another guy who could win 9 or 10 or maybe more with some luck.  But as I've been trying to explain elsewhere, the AD job of hiring coaches isn't as easy as some people think.  Eichorst wanted Bielma and almost had him.  He got played in the end.  So, with no backup choice in mind he found Mike Riley.

A better AD would have established a better relationship with the current coach from the get go and the whole mess maybe never happens.  But Bo had been souring people on his attitude, you can't act like Nick Saban and get blown out like Mike Riley it turns out.

• Plus1 4
35 minutes ago, Redux said:

That's just it, Eichorst was hired to fire Bo Pelini.  The idiot's who hired him didn't think any further than that.  They just assumed he would hire another guy who could win 9 or 10 or maybe more with some luck.  But as I've been trying to explain elsewhere, the AD job of hiring coaches isn't as easy as some people think.  Eichorst wanted Bielma and almost had him.  He got played in the end.  So, with no backup choice in mind he found Mike Riley.

A better AD would have established a better relationship with the current coach from the get go and the whole mess maybe never happens.  But Bo had been souring people on his attitude, you can't act like Nick Saban and get blown out like Mike Riley it turns out.

This, I think, is true.

• Plus1 2