OT: selling my most prized Husker possession?

jauken

Hey all

on the horns of a little dilemma.  About 14 years ago I acquired my one piece of Husker memorabilia that I always desired.   A National championship ring.  1997 to be exact.   I loved the Huskers since I was in diapers and it was a dream item. Of course I was single and had disposable income. 

Now onto  to my dilemma.  Now I’m married, have a child and the ring sits in a safe deposit box.  I bring it out maybe once every couple of years to show Husker family that haven’t seen it yet. 

Im wondering if it’s time to sell the item or hold onto it?   As I said It’s in a safe deposit box and I’m wondering if the responsible adult thing would be sell it and take that money and invest it for my son. I’ve had my years of enjoyment and it has a great story attached to it.  I don’t NEED to sell it but I have a gut feeling it might be time to pass on to another owner?   

How much would such an item be worth if you did sell it? I'm also curious as to who the original owner was and how you acquired it, I'm sure there is an interesting story in there as well. 

There is a lot of value in proving that you had it, and the story that went into how it came to be in your possession, but you can still have those stories even if you sell it. If the monetary value is high enough, it can certainly be a good start for a nest egg for your son. If its only a few hundred dollars, I don't know, but if you are talking thousands, there is a lot of good you can do with that.

But if you held onto it, would it eventually drive you mad? And then your son would have the responsibility to cast it into the fires of Mount Doom anyway, right?

• Plus1 3

It does have a wonderful story.  Told it once on 1620 unsportsmanlike conduct but had never shared story outside of family before that.  It would be in thousands range.  

I love having it but it but feel a parental responsibility to despose of item for benefit of my child.  It is cool to have though!!

Value is more than the $$s assigned to the object.  There is the person value of have a prized item that is close to your heart. 

Being on the far side of raising our kids I can look back with perspective and say - the money will always be there to take care of your family needs if you are diligent in doing all of the intangibles of working hard, self sacrifice, growing and learning in your area of work and not being a wasteful spender.  I don't think you are a wasteful spender since you are giving serious thought and reaching out to others for wisdom.  So the money will be there.  

Ask yourself this question:  Will I regret that I sold it 5 years from now?  Will I regret that I no longer have it to give to my first born as a family heirloom?  Then don't sell it.

It has another value - the value of passing down to your child something of value but something that is close to your heart that is very important to you.  You will be passing a part of your heart to that child one day and they will value that more than the ring and because they value the heart part, they will value and esteem the ring as well - even if they grow up not being a Husker fan:o.   There are only so many 'heart items' we can pass on to our kids - a favorite book, maybe a classic car, a collection of old dishes and a hutch (which we got from my wife's parents - approaching 100 years old), etc.  Most stuff ends up in a consignment store.  So I say hold it and pass it on.  Besides, Frost will be our coach for the next 30 years and the value of that thing will skyrocket - it was his championship year. But the heart value of it will also increase in time.

Ok enough said. I wish I had the dilemma to think about. Congrats on having the ring.  To this day, I regret I sold my 1972 Challenger!  Needed another car at the time and one doesn't realize for some time the value of what was given away (it was just another sports car when I sold it in 1980).

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Value is more than the $$s assigned to the object.  There is the person value of have a prized item that is close to your heart. 

Being on the far side of raising our kids I can look back with perspective and say - the money will always be there to take care of your family needs if you are diligent in doing all of the intangibles of working hard, self sacrifice, growing and learning in your area of work and not being a wasteful spender.  I don't think you are a wasteful spender since you are giving serious thought and reaching out to others for wisdom.  So the money will be there.  

Ask yourself this question:  Will I regret that I sold it 5 years from now?  Will I regret that I no longer have it to give to my first born as a family heirloom?  Then don't sell it.

It has another value - the value of passing down to your child something of value but something that is close to your heart that is very important to you.  You will be passing a part of your heart to that child one day and they will value that more than the ring and because they value the heart part, they will value and esteem the ring as well - even if they grow up not being a Husker fan:o.   There are only so many 'heart items' we can pass on to our kids - a favorite book, maybe a classic car, a collection of old dishes and a hutch (which we got from my wife's parents - approaching 100 years old), etc.  Most stuff ends up in a consignment store.  So I say hold it and pass it on.  Besides, Frost will be our coach for the next 30 years and the value of that thing will skyrocket - it was his championship year. But the heart value of it will also increase in time.

Ok enough said. I wish I had the dilemma to think about. Congrats on having the ring.  To this day, I regret I sold my 1972 Challenger!  Needed another car at the time and one doesn't realize for some time the value of what was given away (it was just another sports car when I sold it in 1980).

3 hours ago, Ulty said:

How much would such an item be worth if you did sell it? I'm also curious as to who the original owner was and how you acquired it, I'm sure there is an interesting story in there as well. 

There is a lot of value in proving that you had it, and the story that went into how it came to be in your possession, but you can still have those stories even if you sell it. If the monetary value is high enough, it can certainly be a good start for a nest egg for your son. If its only a few hundred dollars, I don't know, but if you are talking thousands, there is a lot of good you can do with that.

But if you held onto it, would it eventually drive you mad? And then your son would have the responsibility to cast it into the fires of Mount Doom anyway, right?

That’s an awesome post tg.  Your right it is a piece of my heart.  And don’t need the money.  Just felt a lil guilty for having a toy per se that could maybe put to better use if liquidated.  I am still on fence but leaning towards keeping it unless I was made an unbelievable offer in the future 

It will always hold value due to the precious metals and stones. So, If you don't need the money, don't sell it. I also agree with a previous poster about passing down to your son is older. Some things hold more value to the heart than some american green backs which consequently have their value stolen through inflation everyday.

DON'T SELL IT!

• Plus1 1