Will NU hoops be in worse shape than when Miles took over?

34 minutes ago, Antiquitus said:

I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but I have always thought Nebraska should not have fired Moe Iba. His teams, as I recall them,

were well-disciplined and although usually out-talented they were always competitive. Fans, however, demanded "exciting" basketball

(run and gun stuff). Iba actually raised the program up to NCAA entry and, I think, could have continued that and built a program with

a defined culture (sort of like K-State has managed over the years). Nee was good following, but after him it seems just to be a run of

mediocre teams with a fool-you-early and late-collapse seasons. Also, Nebraska has not adjusted well to being in the Big Ten, which is

a tougher conference top to bottom than the Big 8-Big 12 was (last year excepted). There is probably as much talent on this present team

or more than most of the teams over the past 20 years or so.

Looks like Old Moe is using the internet in the sky...

I am trying to think of the real homerun hires that COULD be out there:  

Pitino:  I know the holy crowd would pretend they would not watch anymore...but they would watch when NU was winning 25 games year season and getting a 4 seed.

Painter:  Dude keeps threatening to leave Purdue.  Might just be a ploy on his end but you never know.

Buzz Williams:  Rumors are he wants to leave and face it...the ACC sucks if you are not Duke or UNC or UVA...because those teams are so hard to deal with.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am trying to think of the real homerun hires that COULD be out there:  

Pitino:  I know the holy crowd would pretend they would not watch anymore...but they would watch when NU was winning 25 games year season and getting a 4 seed.

Painter:  Dude keeps threatening to leave Purdue.  Might just be a ploy on his end but you never know.

Buzz Williams:  Rumors are he wants to leave and face it...the ACC sucks if you are not Duke or UNC or UVA...because those teams are so hard to deal with.

Depending on health, I would say Moos has to at least inquire about Thad Matta

Maybe Kelvin Sampson (I know I know-recruiting violation issues...)

4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Depending on health, I would say Moos has to at least inquire about Thad Matta

Maybe Kelvin Sampson (I know I know-recruiting violation issues...)

Totally agree, not sure why I left them off the list!  Good additions!

I could see the Rutgers coach (Pikell?) as a non-sexy but really good hire.  That guy squeezes water out of rocks.  I would be interested.

With Nebraska being the further most west program in the Big 10, we limited to recruiting in Big 10 region.  However, we do have some decent players in state.  None are top 50 caliber, but would wear RED with pride and work hard.  It seems to me that we have troubles finding players who can or will give it their all, all the time.  Find and keep our best recruits in state, and then mix them in with some Top 150 recruits and find some success.

Sampson would be a good hire for a few years to rebuild the talent, and bring in a different caliber athlete.  

This program is going to get worse, and maybe unwatchable for a while, no matter who they hire next. 

Better to start throwing out the bath water now, with the coach in it.

Next hire has a big task in front of him. Not just recruiting kids to play here, but getting the fans to give him time. 

Miles had few players when he got here, to work with, new guy won't. jmo

GBR!!!

On 2/7/2019 at 7:14 AM, teachercd said:

It will be worse.  The more you look at it, it will be so much worse.

There will not be a Big Ten ready PG, no true big (and Roby is gone), no freaky wings.

Good lord.

Gonna disagree here .

I think we'll have serviceable guards out of the trio of Allen, Burke, and Green and I doubt Roby's stock improved this season with his hesitantcy and decision making issues. Really hope he comes back as an aggressive alpha leader.

Still not an ideal roster to inherit but I don't think the cupboard is totally vacant.

• Plus1 1