Zac Taylor - Cincinnati Bengals Head Coach

knapplc

13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The expectations are low, so he should have a little more time. 

You can’t fire a bad owner. It’s death of a franchise. They gave 16 years to a guy that spent at least half of that on the hot seat. That’s job security, I suppose, but it’s also not a franchise trying to win.

They’re one of the least valuable franchises in the NFL. They’ve drafted very poorly in recent years, in part because all of their mediocre seasons have resulted in poor draft position. And because they just suck at drafting. No QB of the future. No real player assets. Their best offensive players are injured and over 30.

Everyone wants the next McVay, but they went out and built a team for him. Cincinnati isn’t going to, they don’t care about winning. It’s definitely not a desirable first head coaching job. It’s a career killer.

• Plus1 3

I'm hopeful Zac does well there, but I have virtually no confidence in the organization or their ability to all work together towards success. It's a middling franchise with few redeeming qualities. Hell, even the Browns looks more appetizing as a franchise right now.

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Even if he doesn't succeed in making Cincy a winner, he's gotten his foot into the door, and that's really all that counts.

So what if he's fired?  Aren't most NFL coaches fired?

If you’re an offensive coach, particularly a QB coach, you’re already standing in the doorway. Offensive coaches routinely get promoted quicker, and in an offensive era, that’s even more the case. 

Taylor is seen as a marginal, copycat style hire. Fair or not. Taylor has promise, but he has no street cred. If he flames out, and imo he’s set up for failure, it becomes very hard to convince the next team to give him a shot. He’d be worse off than if he waited to get a more appealing HC job. 

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, brophog said:

You can’t fire a bad owner. It’s death of a franchise. They gave 16 years to a guy that spent at least half of that on the hot seat. That’s job security, I suppose, but it’s also not a franchise trying to win.

They’re one of the least valuable franchises in the NFL. They’ve drafted very poorly in recent years, in part because all of their mediocre seasons have resulted in poor draft position. And because they just suck at drafting. No QB of the future. No real player assets. Their best offensive players are injured and over 30.

Everyone wants the next McVay, but they went out and built a team for him. Cincinnati isn’t going to, they don’t care about winning. It’s definitely not a desirable first head coaching job. It’s a career killer.

Mixon is bad?  Boyd is bad?  You can't be serious.  Boyd was ranked the #12 NFL wr by pff.  I'm assuming you dont watch nfl?

21 hours ago, boach_clack said:

I still do not think it is fair that other coaches got overlooked for him to skip a few steps and land in a HC job. 

I think much of what happens at the professional level of sports is unfair, but Taylor is a shiny new offensive toy that spent two years under the current shiniest toy in the NFL. There are a lot of franchises (particularly the Bengals) sort of floating in this nebula of mediocrity that are willing to take a risk like this in order to put fans in the seats and try to capture some of the McVay magic.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think much of what happens at the professional level of sports is unfair, but Taylor is a shiny new offensive toy that spent two years under the current shiniest toy in the NFL. There are a lot of franchises (particularly the Bengals) sort of floating in this nebula of mediocrity that are willing to take a risk like this in order to put fans in the seats and try to capture some of the McVay magic.

Just as teams for years have tried to do with Belichick assistants. It hasn’t worked in those instances, and I don’t think it will work here, either. I’m not saying McVay hasn’t had some impact on the Rams, but a huge part of the equation is player personnel. The Rams have a young, and therefore cheap, QB. That has allowed them to be very aggressive in free agency, and they’ve drafted very well over the last several years, especially at the top of the draft. This is the problem when a team tries to clone a coach, there is so much more that goes into winning.

The Bengals are in a really weird spot. They’re in the shadow of their window. They’re not in a rebuild, but most of their better players are past their prime. They really can’t turn over their roster, like a new coach is going to want, but they’re not good enough now, either. Even if Taylor is the greatest coach ever, he needs pieces to work with.

14 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Mixon is bad?  Boyd is bad?  You can't be serious.  Boyd was ranked the #12 NFL wr by pff.  I'm assuming you dont watch nfl?

LOL, do you think you can build a championship team around a single receiver and a running back who only fell to them in the draft because he is a woman beater? Everything brophog said about the Bengals franchise was spot on.

45 minutes ago, Ulty said:

LOL, do you think you can build a championship team around a single receiver and a running back who only fell to them in the draft because he is a woman beater? Everything brophog said about the Bengals franchise was spot on.

He said no young talent.  Pretty sure Boyd and mixon would be considered young talent to anyone that watches NFL.