Bar Wars in Lincoln

15 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

IIRC wasn't the Watering Hole on P street? At least it was when I went to college and that's what their T-shirts said...

When I was in school ('03-'08), the Watering Hole was a couple doors to the west of Main Street. I think they've had to close at least one of the WHs in Lincoln, but to my knowledge, that one still exists. 

11 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok....I told my daughter I wanted to go back to the rail because I used to go there all the time and she about freaked. 

claims it’s been turned into more of a club atmosphere that people my age just don’t belong in. 

what’s with that?

About what time period would you have frequented there?

When I was 21 (2010), it was a cheap drunk fest with $1 hot dogs ("rail dogs") and drinks, a dance floor, and a lot of really young college students. It sort of maintained that visage through the following years (up through 2016 at least). I assume it's much the same still.

26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Where on P Street would it have been?

Golly, I can't remember. 11th, 12th, 13th....somewhere in that area.

I do distinctly remember that it was The Watering Hole on P Street though. It was on their T-Shirts and of course the innuendo of having to pee because you visited the Watering Hole. This was early/mid 80's, maybe it relocated shortly thereafter.

38 minutes ago, Enhance said:

When I was 21 (2010), it was a cheap drunk fest with $1 hot dogs ("rail dogs") and drinks, a dance floor, and a lot of really young college students. It sort of maintained that visage through the following years (up through 2016 at least). I assume it's much the same still.

LOL.....80s. 

13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok....I told my daughter I wanted to go back to the rail because I used to go there all the time and she about freaked. 

claims it’s been turned into more of a club atmosphere that people my age just don’t belong in. 

what’s with that?

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

My brother went to UNL 74-78 and tended bar at the Brass Rail, prob 77-78. At the time that was THE college bar. I think it's decline in rep must have started much later. It was still pretty popular in the early/mid 80's when I was there.

I got really messed up there once when I was an underage freshman. Went for an older fraternity brother's birthday. I had 21 shots of tequila, had never really had any takillya before that. I passed out on the mall walkway (by those large pools/fountains) on my way back to campus. Woke up about 3 in the morning with some guy nudging me with his foot, asking if I was okay. I r fused to touch teguila for at least 15 years after that. True story.

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

My brother went to UNL 74-78 and tended bar at the Brass Rail, prob 77-78. At the time that was THE college bar. I think it's decline in rep must have started much later. It was still pretty popular in the early/mid 80's when I was there.

I got really messed up there once when I was an underage freshman. Went for an older fraternity brother's birthday. I had 21 shots of tequila, had never really had any takillya before that. I passed out on the mall walkway (by those large pools/fountains) on my way back to campus. Woke up about 3 in the morning with some guy nudging me with his foot, asking if I was okay. I r fused to touch teguila for at least 15 years after that. True story.

Those pools/fountains!  Loved those things.

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If he spent more time drunk then studying....I probably did. 

Ehh... probably split 50/50. I do know some highlights of his college drinking days:

- He vividly remembers getting sloshed at Barrymore's with regularity (penny pitchers)

- He and some buddies once smuggled a beer keg onto Cather 10 in a tuba case... using the stairs (apparently the tuba case broke open around the 8th floor and tumbled a floor or two down... somehow, they weren't caught)

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Ehh... probably split 50/50. I do know some highlights of his college drinking days:

- He vividly remembers getting sloshed at Barrymore's with regularity (penny pitchers)

- He and some buddies once smuggled a beer keg onto Cather 10 in a tuba case... using the stairs (apparently the tuba case broke open around the 8th floor and tumbled a floor or two down... somehow, they weren't caught)

Oh I bet that keg took some time to not be all head. (Not that head is always a bad thing)

I was more more of the guy that was holding the party charging 2 bucks at the door every weekend.....making bank and using that to buy booze the rest of the week.