Husker Fans Favorite MLB Team

Husker fans are centered of course in the Great State of Nebraska. But Husker students come from all over the world and live all over the place as well.

Major League Baseball training camps are opening soon. So...

As a Husker fan, what is your favorite MLB team? Why do you like them?

Due to geography, do most Husker fans like the KC Royals, Colorado Rockies, St. Louis Cards or the Chicago teams?

Do most Husker fans even care about baseball much?

40 minutes ago, Roundball Shaman said:

Husker fans are centered of course in the Great State of Nebraska. But Husker students come from all over the world and live all over the place as well.

Major League Baseball training camps are opening soon. So...

As a Husker fan, what is your favorite MLB team? Why do you like them?

Due to geography, do most Husker fans like the KC Royals, Colorado Rockies, St. Louis Cards or the Chicago teams?

Do most Husker fans even care about baseball much?

My favorite team is the Colorado Rockies. I didn't really get into watching baseball until I was in 5th grade. Since I live in western Nebraska, the Rockies were the closest professional team, and that run in 2007 got me to start watching baseball more. Hopefully the Rockies will win a championship some time soon.

For me it's the Cardinals. Didn't have much of a choice growing up as that was The only option I was given from my dad and grandpa. Also grew up during the McGwire/Sosa HR battle. And behind Husker football, the amount of time I spend following Cardinals baseball is second. i'm a completely weirdo and will watch probably 120-130 full games of the cardianls each year. 

Mets.  I honestly have no recollection why.  I first remember being interested in baseball shortly after they won the 86 World Series but I don't remember even watching it.  Greg Jeffres was my guy back in the day, probably because I was a (bad) second baseman in my limited time playing.

I successfully corrupted my son into being a Mets fan as well, mostly due to them actually making it back to the Series a few years ago right as he was taking an interest.

But I'm really not much of a baseball fan in general.

When I was like 11 or so my family got cable tv installed for the very first time.  Incredible!  I immediately was drawn to the Chicago Cubs on good ol WGN.  I will never forget watching their day games and started doing so mostly because of one person.  Harry Caray.  Watching him and Steve Stone was always fun even when the Cubs lost and they certainly lost a lot more back then.  I met his wife Dutchie once in a grocery store of all places.  She was incredibly genuine and nice.  Just like Harry.

Ronald_Reagan_and_Harry_Caray_1988.jpg

On 2/6/2019 at 9:57 PM, Mavric said:

Mets.  I honestly have no recollection why.  I first remember being interested in baseball shortly after they won the 86 World Series but I don't remember even watching it.  Greg Jeffres was my guy back in the day, probably because I was a (bad) second baseman in my limited time playing.

I successfully corrupted my son into being a Mets fan as well, mostly due to them actually making it back to the Series a few years ago right as he was taking an interest.

But I'm really not much of a baseball fan in general.

I'm so sorry...

Go royals

3 hours ago, Swiv3D said:

I'm so sorry...

Go royals

I have a really good friend who has been a Royals fan for as long as I've been a Mets fan.  A couple years ago we were already speculating during the League Championship Series if we should road trip to KC if it ended up Royals/Mets.  We piddled around and never got it done.  Probably going to regret that for awhile......

What is baseball?

Much like learning to love the Huskers, baseball is a game that you get hooked on as a youth. For the Boomer Generation, baseball was the thing. When growing up, the NFL hadn’t yet become a national obsession. The NBA and NHL were more regional-type leagues. MLB owned the stage. Players were national heroes.

Since the Boomers grew up, all three of the other sports have rapidly grown and baseball has been stuck in place. MLB games are taking longer to play, fundamental baseball has been ignored in favor of the home run, and younger people are finding other things to do. Look at the crowd during a typical MLB game and you’ll see plenty of people of all ages looking down at their cellphones and not out at the field.

That’s a shame, because baseball can be exciting. But people only have so much time during the day, and we vote with our choices on how we want to use that time.

There’s a place for baseball in tomorrow’s world. But this game has to speed up. And they have to find ways to make this a 21st Century game instead of a 19th Century one.

And keep an eye on the White Sox. Lot’s of young talent coming up.

9 hours ago, Roundball Shaman said:

What is baseball?

Much like learning to love the Huskers, baseball is a game that you get hooked on as a youth. For the Boomer Generation, baseball was the thing. When growing up, the NFL hadn’t yet become a national obsession. The NBA and NHL were more regional-type leagues. MLB owned the stage. Players were national heroes.

Nope - I'm a Boomer and can't stand baseball.