"Not Even Close to Where It Was a Year Ago"

Mavric

I don't question Frost's opinions of his own team, but I can't help but wonder why this is that big of a deal.  I mean, I would expect the players to be quiet when they are first getting to know the coaches.  On one hand, I'm kinda glad the guys were mature enough to not be acting like a bunch of jackwagons when their new position coach walks in the door.  Maybe they were hoping to make a good first impression? :dunno

Sure it's a bit of off season sunshine pumping but I'm quite sure the vibe around the team has to be better now than immediately following 3 years of mediocre Mike. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Frost is seeing a huge difference in the players at this point...and that bodes very well for the team  They could not have been having fun or feeling like their efforts were paying off before. That's what sh#tty coaching and lack of hard work and expectations will do to a team 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, funhusker said:

I don't question Frost's opinions of his own team, but I can't help but wonder why this is that big of a deal.  I mean, I would expect the players to be quiet when they are first getting to know the coaches.  On one hand, I'm kinda glad the guys were mature enough to not be acting like a bunch of jackwagons when their new position coach walks in the door.  Maybe they were hoping to make a good first impression? :dunno

He wouldn't have said it if it was only that one meeting.

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

The point he was making is he wants a team that wants to be there, that’s having fun being with their teammates and coaches, that’s engaged and not tuning out. 

Loose and fun. Then get to work. If guys are so beat down from losing or so serious because there’s no fun, no one is being themselves.  

It’s a game,  after all. Work hard to learn it, then go play....with joy. There was no joy when he got here. He’s seeing joy now. And there will be more when they win like we know they can. More joy and fun for us too!  It’ll be how it should. 

Why so serious?

I just see it as the dreaded "coach speak".  If the team was being loud and "friendly" when he walked into the first meeting, I could see a coach's comment being the exact opposite.  Something like "we are much more focused this year.  Kids come to the team meetings ready to learn and are much more dialed in."

I don't doubt Frost's opinion, that isn't my place.  But like @teachercd said, this just rings like another offseason of "the closest team in years".  

That's not a bad thing, I'm all for people enjoying themselves.  But that also doesn't make it an real improvement by default.

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I just see it as the dreaded "coach speak".  If the team was being loud and "friendly" when he walked into the first meeting, I could see a coach's comment being the exact opposite.  Something like "we are much more focused this year.  Kids come to the team meetings ready to learn and are much more dialed in."

I don't doubt Frost's opinion, that isn't my place.  But like @teachercd said, this just rings like another offseason of "the closest team in years".  

That's not a bad thing, I'm all for people enjoying themselves.  But that also doesn't make it an real improvement by default.

Very true!

Plus we all love it!  It is a hype machine but we still love it.

43 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I just see it as the dreaded "coach speak".

Just about everything out of north stadium this time of year is coach speak. You have to muddle through what's said and put it in context with other things we've learned over the last year.

By all accounts, the team had a poor culture, wasn't having any fun, didn't have a lot of camaraderie and lacked a unified team spirit. It's improved a lot and the culture has come a long way. I think that's all Scott was saying.

• Plus1 2