"The Black Sweatshirt Posse" Ready to Make an Impact

Mavric

Scott Frost had a nickname for the beaten-up crew – sad sight that they were.

They were known to Nebraska's head coach as "The Black Sweatshirt Posse." He called them that because the group of young, injured Huskers all seemed to wear the same hooded sweatshirt and sit in the exact same place against the wall during practices.  Their time would come, but sometimes it's hard to see that when you are slouched down picking at rubber chips of FieldTurf while the show goes on without you.

On the days he had on a black sweatshirt, Frost would make himself an honorary member. "So I went over and joined them from time to time."

The humor of sharing a wardrobe aside, the sad part is the reps they were missing out on. It was a group of redshirt freshmen Frost's staff had been eager to use in practices and even mix into some games.

But Frost's staff never really got to fully take advantage of the new redshirt rule that allows players to compete in up to four games without burning a shirt. Injuries dinged the 2018 recruiting class pretty good. Guys used to being The Man in high school had to practice patience, and sometimes Frost would need to supply them with a pep talk.

You better believe this is a big part of being a coach. It's easy for the true freshman starting quarterback to feel good about life. What about those guys dealing with setbacks like Cam'ron Jones, Cam Jurgens, Tate Wildeman, CJ Smith, Casey Rogers, Miles Jones? 

"First years are hard," Frost said Wednesday. "It is different for someone like Adrian (Martinez) or someone like that who comes in and plays – that is rare. For the guys that have to redshirt, you are used to being a high school superstar and a junior high superstar and Pop Warner superstar, and you come to a place and you don’t even get to play the game, you’re just practicing. It can be hard on some kids.

we are no different than any other team........we have no magic, we are like everyone else in the league, we are trying to get better.....that doesn't mean we will forge ahead and suddenly have a 10 win season. there are too many variables and we are still fighting to establish depth at a lot of positions.....Frost admits, he doesn't have all the pieces.....that is likely still a couple years out.....just getting better should be the goal. that may not translate into 8 or 10 wins..........we will know progress when we see it....hopefully.

• Plus1 2

32 minutes ago, Redux said:

It might be overly optimistic, but I completely expect 10 wins this year, stuff like this just reaffirms my expectations.

17 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

I don't think you're wrong. I'm optimistic as well.

12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Agree on 10+ wins. It’s hard for me to find losses in the schedule unless we regress, and I don’t think we will.

8 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I'm also on the 10-win train. Choo choo.

giphy.gif

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Agree on 10+ wins. It’s hard for me to find losses in the schedule unless we regress, and I don’t think we will.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that looked at the schedule and thought "well, 12-0 isn't technically impossible". Saying you believe this team will go 12-0 sounds crazy, but I think the expectations of 10 wins is fair.... now trying to pick the two losses?