Green New Deal

13 minutes ago, Whistlebritches said:

Calling for a vote on the GND probably isn't the masterstroke by McConnell that people are thinking it is. The polling for it is pretty positive and even more so when the individual items of the GND are broken out. Obviously it's not going to pass right now but the environment is big issue that's only growing in support.

I agree. Calling for a vote is exactly what I wanted, since it'll force politicians on both sides of the aisle to take a position on the record.

2 hours ago, Whistlebritches said:

Calling for a vote on the GND probably isn't the masterstroke by McConnell that people are thinking it is. The polling for it is pretty positive and even more so when the individual items of the GND are broken out. Obviously it's not going to pass right now but the environment is big issue that's only growing in support.

He thinks it’s safe now because he controls the senate. 

What he isnt consudering ring is what public backlash will come from it. 

Without knowing more, I would probably vote no also. 

I remember when the environmental movement was young, and American Business complained that the hippies didn't understand how the world worked, how industries couldn't afford to retrofit their factories and stay competitive, and how the people would never trade cheaper products for cleaner air. They were pretty much wrong about everything.

LA.jpg

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

He thinks it’s safe now because he controls the senate. 

What he isnt consudering ring is what public backlash will come from it. 

Without knowing more, I would probably vote no also. 

Something to keep in mind is that the GND is simply a resolution - there's no actual changes in laws or regulations if it gets approved. It's more designed to be a framework that describes the goals so that later legislation can be introduced in a coherent manner. So even if you don't want any of the stuff in the GND to happen, you could still vote for it now and then vote against the specific legislation later.

So my previous stance on wanting to get lawmakers on the record may not be meaningful no matter how they vote.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:15 AM, RedDenver said:

Impossible Beef is quite frankly amazing! Tastes just like a real hamburger. But it only works for ground beef and not other beef like steaks or ribs.

Came across an article about Beyond Meat teaming up with Kyrie Irving as a spokesman. I'm kinda interested to try their products:

Burgers, brats, Italian sausage, 2 flavors of chicken strips, and 2 flavors of "beef" crumbles.

https://www.beyondmeat.com/products

That got me searching for info about meatless "steaks" and I found this:

Raising the steaks: An Israeli start-up just made the first slaughter-free steak, a lab-grown sirloin

Aleph Farms has announced a world’s first: slaughter-free steak. The Israeli start-up’s cellular innovation apparently delivers “the full experience of meat with the appearance, shape and texture of beef cuts.”

The prototype took two-three weeks to make at a cost of $50 per steak, Toubia told Business Insider. As the initial specimen is quite thin, he says the product is at least three or four years away from hitting supermarket shelves and restaurant menus. “It’s close and it tastes good, but we have a bit more work to make sure the taste is 100 per cent similar to conventional meat,” he told The Guardian. “But when you cook it, you really can smell the same smell of meat cooking.”

• Thanks 2
  • 3 months later...

Thought this was interesting. Union support is indispensable to Democrats getting things done and soldifying their support among working class voters. Progressives who believe the GND would be a net negative for the economy, including workers (it probably would) obviously have more work to do selling their vision.

If you can't sell it in California...

• 2 weeks later...

GOP is offering the GREEN REAL DEAL.  Many (ok some) in the GOP coming to their senses on this issue and are trying to support conservative measures to

fight climate change.  I think in reality they hear the footsteps of voters concerned with this issue heading towards the Dem camp - esp the younger generations. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/some-republican-lawmakers-break-with-party-on-climate-change-11560337010

Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida says the GOP needs to advance sound conservative proposals to combat climate change and embrace science, or risk long-term political damage.

“How can we as a party stand up to the generational challenges we face with globalization and automation and climate change if we don’t look credible to the body politic,” Mr. Gaetz said in an interview.

In April, Mr. Gaetz announced his “Green Real Deal” plan that seeks to cut greenhouse-gas emissions by fostering innovation and entrepreneurship and reducing government regulations on the development of clean-energy technology. His plan is a counter to the “Green New Deal” proposed by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D., N.Y.) and others that involves large federal investments in buildings, industries and transportation systems to slash emissions.

Republican Rep. Garret Graves’s state of Louisiana depends on the oil-and-gas industry but is losing land partly as a result of sea-level rise. As the ranking minority member on the newly created House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis, he has favored federally funded financial incentives for state and local investments in resiliency projects such as flood control.

“The conversation is certainly shifting toward not just acknowledging the threats of climate change, but starting to talk about policies and solutions,” said Ben Pendergrass, senior director of government affairs at Citizens’ Climate Lobby, a nonpartisan advocacy group that helped create the bipartisan House Climate Solutions Caucus. The caucus, formed in 2016, has about two dozen Republican members.

Rep. Francis Rooney (R., Fla.), the new co-chairman of the caucus, joined Democrats in co-sponsoring a measure in January that would tax the carbon emissions of fuel producers and importers. That followed a carbon-tax bill filed last year by then-Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R., Fla.) that didn’t advance. Mr. Rooney also introduced a resolution in February that called for planning to mitigate the effects of sea-level rise.

Yet he and like-minded Republicans remain a small minority in the party. When the Democratically controlled House passed a resolution in May aimed at keeping the U.S. in the 2015 Paris climate agreement, from which Mr. Trump said he intended to withdraw, only three Republicans voted for it. And no Republicans have endorsed the Green New Deal.

“They’ve made a tiny pivot from being flat-earth, climate-change deniers to at least admitting climate change is real,” said Rep. Darren Soto (D., Fla.), member of the House subcommittee on environment and climate change. “We really need to have fundamental and bipartisan belief in the fact that climate change is human-caused and an existential threat to the human race.”

In the Senate, Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R., Alaska), who heads the committee on energy and natural resources, has declared reducing emissions a policy priority.

• Plus1 2
17 hours ago, TGHusker said:

GOP is offering the GREEN REAL DEAL.  Many (ok some) in the GOP coming to their senses on this issue and are trying to support conservative measures to

fight climate change.  I think in reality they hear the footsteps of voters concerned with this issue heading towards the Dem camp - esp the younger generations. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/some-republican-lawmakers-break-with-party-on-climate-change-11560337010

This is the debate that I want to see.

I'm so sick and tired of one side preaching about climate change while the other side (funded by fossil fuel industries) does everything to convince people it's not happening.

I want to see both sides come to the table with plans of action and different ideas that can be looked at and debated.

Just because the Dems are preaching climate change, doesn't mean their ideas are the best ideas that can be drawn up.  But, if the Repubs continue down the same path they have been on, they aren't even going to be at the table to help formulate what should be done and how.

• Plus1 2

I don't think there are any free market ideas that can get to zero emissions in a decade. We're pretty much at WW2 level effort if we want to avoid permanent damage to the climate, and I don't see anything else than government-led action (actually, every government) to get there.

• Plus1 1