Green New Deal

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I don't think there are any free market ideas that can get to zero emissions in a decade. We're pretty much at WW2 level effort if we want to avoid permanent damage to the climate, and I don't see anything else than government-led action (actually, every government) to get there.

I'm on a lunch break, so I don't have time to look up these numbers.  But I would assume if all the subsidies given to fossil fuels were given to renewable methods, it might be a start.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is the debate that I want to see.

I'm so sick and tired of one side preaching about climate change while the other side (funded by fossil fuel industries) does everything to convince people it's not happening.

I want to see both sides come to the table with plans of action and different ideas that can be looked at and debated.

Just because the Dems are preaching climate change, doesn't mean their ideas are the best ideas that can be drawn up.  But, if the Repubs continue down the same path they have been on, they aren't even going to be at the table to help formulate what should be done and how.

same is true about abortion and immigration -  engage instead of evade.  GOP have been good at evading. 

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I'm on a lunch break, so I don't have time to look up these numbers.  But I would assume if all the subsidies given to fossil fuels were given to renewable methods, it might be a start.

I don't think subsidies are free markets concepts.

45 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I get that.  I was just thinking along the lines of things that the Republicans would be (at least should be) okay with.

I'm sure there are conservative ideas that would work, especially if we remember that the idea of conservation was about the environment. But I think we're past the point where a carbon tax or cap-and-trade will work quickly enough.

I could have my mind changed, but conservative ideas and lessening the human impact on the climate don't seem to go hand in hand. All I hear is lower taxes, remove taxes, deregulate. The vast majority of companies are not going to voluntarily regulate themselves or pay a bunch of money to help with climate change.

• Plus1 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...