2019 Season Prediction Thread

Mavric

2019 Season Predictions  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What will Nebraska's 2019 regular season record be?

2. 2. Which games will the Huskers win in 2019?

This poll is closed to new votes

On 2/8/2019 at 9:16 AM, Hilltop said:

I went with 9-3 and that is assuming AM stays healthy.  IMO we still don't have the pieces to put together an elite defense. 

Finally, a voice of reason.

Although, we are probably going to be in MUCH better shape at QB2 this year, with McCaffrey.

What sticks in my craw from last year was all of the 3rd & 4th down conversions allowed, including a ton of LONG ones. If that doesn’t change it is going to be a disappointing season.

Secondly, if there is a flaw to Frost’s system translating to the Big Ten, it is in how many plays his D needs to be on the field.

Some of our opponents are going to attempt to keep our D on the field for long, time consuming drives, while our high powered offense waits impatiently to get the ball back.

If our D can get those stops and add turnovers this year, it can be a great year. Our Special Teams weren’t very special last year either. We’ve got LOTS of room to improve in order to win consistently in the Big Ten. We’re going in the right direction, but miles to go before we sleep.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Correct

we have to look at the entire picture 

our d getting marginally better is just part of the picture

if opposing offenses go max slowdown and long possession us, their defenses get plenty of time to rest and limit our possessions on offense

that would make each possession significantly more  valuable

that means turnovers become significantly more valuable 

as does that last possession clock management 

we got better at both as season progressed 

Special teams were bad 

Kick coverage

punt coverage

kick returns 

punt returns

lots of hidden yardage there 

it got somewhat better

lindsay being gone helps

same with lighthorn

our field position game has to dramatically improve this season 

• Plus1 2

I’m not a betting person

however if the line was 6.5 I would be extremely tempted to wager a large sum on the huskers when in lv in a couple of weeks 

was on 6 wins last year, 4 in 2017 and 7 in 2016- so mixed results but pretty darn confident donu can get to 7 wins in 2019 with friendly schedule 

im guessing the line will probably be in the 7.5 area which I still feel good about- just not confident enough for a size wager 6.5 would be very tempting 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, OTHusker said:

I’m not a betting person

however if the line was 6.5 I would be extremely tempted to wager a large sum on the huskers when in lv in a couple of weeks 

was on 6 wins last year, 4 in 2017 and 7 in 2016- so mixed results but pretty darn confident donu can get to 7 wins in 2019 with friendly schedule 

im guessing the line will probably be in the 7.5 area which I still feel good about- just not confident enough for a size wager 6.5 would be very tempting 

Vegas would love to hold your money for almost an entire year.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:06 AM, RedDenver said:

It's been a long time since we returned all our coaches and our starting QB.

I said 9-3 with losses to tOSU, NW, and Purdue, but those 3 along with Wisconsin and Iowa are tossups at best. As others have said, I wouldn't be surprised with any record from 7-5 to 10-2.

But we replaced our DL coach, and I assume our LB coach is on medical leave.

• Plus1 1

Why we will be better

• Strength up the middle of the D. I am not saying we will have it this year, but last year we lost Honas and Mick S., so we have to be improved
  • Year two of the same systems for O and D
  • A year of strength and conditioning

Reasons to worry

• The production of Oz and Morgan
  • What happens to Mo W
  • Who will be our center
  • New LBs with no LB coach

I picked 9 wins, and that may be optimistic, but head to head the only game I did not pick us to win is OSU. I think our chances are better than even in every game except OSU, but we will lose a few.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, brophog said:

Vegas would love to hold your money for almost an entire year.

Yep

opportunnity cost for cd or money market is what 2 percent 

its all about the 6.5 line which may be available early

and not at all later 

Losing the cash for a couple of months early vs getting a 7.5 game over under would be a good trade for me

im not risking a big bet for 7.5 even though I’ve got us on 9 wins

6.5 looks like a reasonable value bet

13 minutes ago, OTHusker said:

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Why we will be better

• Strength up the middle of the D. I am not saying we will have it this year, but last year we lost Honas and Mick S., so we have to be improved
  • Year two of the same systems for O and D
  • A year of strength and conditioning

Reasons to worry

• The production of Oz and Morgan
  • What happens to Mo W
  • Who will be our center

I picked 9 wins, and that may be optimistic, but head to head the only game I did not pick us to win is OSU. I think our chances are better than even in every game except OSU, but we will lose a few.

Good points, but consider:

1) Honas really needed time. He was swimming out there. Depth would have been nice, luckily that position stayed healthy. Frankly, Mick did more on the sidelines than he did on the field. I’m not discounting that, his leadership was vital in establishing the culture we are now seeing, but he never translated that good looking body into much production. I’m hoping the Daniels bros do better.

2) Huge. There were guys last year that didn’t see much time because the coaches didn’t trust them. The coaches also now know better what the BigTen is like. 

3) The guys at pro day are testing out well, good sign for what’s to come.

4) I say this with a ton of respect to Ozigbo and Morgan: I disagree. We will miss their leadership a lot on an extremely young offense, but not their production. That doesn’t mean we see a 7 ypc rusher or 1000 yard receiver, but there is so much more talent at those positions that as a group I’m highly confident our production soars if we can solve some oline questions.

5) I’d rather have him than not, but we have a lot more options now than last year. It may be an opportunity for Rahmir or more carries for Robinson/Jones, or more likely with Frost’s history someone unexpected. The bigger question I have is Mills. I hate to say it, but I don’t trust him. I’ll feel better when he’s actually on campus and in pads with Held playing mother hen.

6) Maybe the biggest question on this list. For so long, under so many systems, it seems there is a strong correlation with offensive success and the play of our center. I’m intrigued by the idea of Jurgens, but that’s a big hill to climb physically and mentally. It’s a position that feels like whoever makes the least big errors wins. Someone between now and Fall needs to win that job, rather than being given it.

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

Secondly, if there is a flaw to Frost’s system translating to the Big Ten, it is in how many plays his D needs to be on the field.

I’ve never bought into this. If this were true, then bad defensive teams would not be so bad at the start of each half when they’re more rested. If a defense is on the field a lot, it’s because of one of three things: 

1) The offense turned the ball over

2) The offense scored quickly

3) The defense can’t get itself off of the field

The first one is pretty irrelevant to the idea. Offenses need to move the ball and score points. Frost doesn’t really have that high of a tempo, he just wants the option of going high tempo. His number of plays tend to correlate more with how explosive his offense is.

The second is irrelevant, too, generically speaking. There are clock management reasons to delay scoring, such as around each half, but generally scoring is the goal. Playing with a lead helps, not hurts a defense. You can take many more risks.

That leaves number 3. 

Finally, consider this: Outside of special situational conditions, how come no one takes a knee on a TD return if scoring quickly is bad?

Between the big question marks at RB, WB, TE & a chronically mediocre OL. Plus a D I wouldn't count on to save our bacon in the tough games and some very questionable special teams play I'm thinking 7-5. And would be pretty happy if they can hit that. Still a few years away from being back even if the staff can continue to ramp up the recruiting IMHO.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2