2019 Season Prediction Thread

Mavric

2019 Season Predictions  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What will Nebraska's 2019 regular season record be?

2. 2. Which games will the Huskers win in 2019?

This poll is closed to new votes

On 3/7/2019 at 7:00 AM, cheekygeek said:

What sticks in my craw from last year was all of the 3rd & 4th down conversions allowed, including a ton of LONG ones. If that doesn’t change it is going to be a disappointing season.

Secondly, if there is a flaw to Frost’s system translating to the Big Ten, it is in how many plays his D needs to be on the field.

Nebraska was fairly abysmal in third down efficiency last year, early in games and late in games. I don't think we can credit that to a system flaw.

We still need to see more development before we can determine what is or isn't a flaw in Scott's system. I think the whole speed things gets blown a bit out of proportion to a degree. Yes, more defensive series means more opportunities for opposing offenses, but I genuinely don't believe that's a reason for bad defense, and we still saw quite a bit of that last year.

9 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

We're just 1 injury away (2AM) from closing with another 4 win season though guys.....

I get it 

but not 4 wins thanks to a more forgiving schedule and improvement accross the board 

this teams success will largely depend on

martinez health

however this year we will have a legit threat at backup quarterback that we didn’t have last season

mccaffrey will be the real deal 

One area I'm really looking at is whether or not we actually make significant gains in our strength & conditioning program. Specifically with how this plays out for our defensive line.

Until we improve there, I think you have to admit that we just don't match up well against Wisconsin & Iowa. And that's a problem, because those are the two games on the schedule each year that make or break going to Indy. I'm going to wait to see what happens with whether or not Washington is on the team and some other question marks personnel-wise before I make a serious prediction about our 2019 record, but I'll say that given what we think we know about Martinez's potential in year two that we probably win the West even if we just win one out of two against Wisconsin and Iowa.

8 hours ago, Undone said:

One area I'm really looking at is whether or not we actually make significant gains in our strength & conditioning program. Specifically with how this plays out for our defensive line.

Until we improve there, I think you have to admit that we just don't match up well against Wisconsin & Iowa. 

It goes beyond strength and conditioning. I’ll use Carlos as an example. When he can get up field, he’s very effective, but when he’s asked to anchor and hold his ground, he’s about equally ineffective. The Iowa game is a good example. We made an adjustment late in that game to slant play side on their runs. Iowa’s interior line was not quick enough to keep either twin from crossing their face and we started blowing things up in the backfield.

This is why most defenses specialize up front. It’s very different to play heads up on a center vs shading a guard vs playing outside a tackle. Yet, we hear with great regularity that a player can play all up and down the line. We want to be versatile, play a lot of fronts, play a lot of players, but at the same time you have to be good at whatever it is you’re doing. 

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, brophog said:

This is why most defenses specialize up front. It’s very different to play heads up on a center vs shading a guard vs playing outside a tackle. Yet, we hear with great regularity that a player can play all up and down the line. We want to be versatile, play a lot of fronts, play a lot of players, but at the same time you have to be good at whatever it is you’re doing. 

Yes. And we can then take that even one step further.

Our fan base was really receptive towards running a 3-4. The main mantra was, "Well, it takes the pressure off of recruiting really talented down linemen and allows you to focus on just grabbing some freak athletes and plugging them into the linebacker spots."

Ok, sure. But...do we have these linebackers? And if we don't currently, when will we get them? The 2019 class suggests that they might be on their way.

I guarantee, someone will now chime in with Kool-Aid downplaying the importance of talented linemen in this 3-4 but last year underscores how inaccurate this is. 

Results of this poll:

Season Record:

9-3 - 26.9%

10-2 - 23.5%

11-1 - 17.7%

8-4 - 13.5%

12-0 - 9.2%

7-5 - 8.4%

6-6 - 0.8%

5-7 - 0.0%

Likely Victories (>90% votes) - South Alabama, Colorado, Northern Illinois, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland

Probable Victories (~80% votes) - Northwestern, Minnesota, Iowa

Toss-ups (~50%) - Purdue, Wisconsin

Likely Loss (20%) - Ohio State

2 hours ago, Undone said:

Our fan base was really receptive towards running a 3-4. The main mantra was, "Well, it takes the pressure off of recruiting really talented down linemen and allows you to focus on just grabbing some freak athletes and plugging them into the linebacker spots."

Defensive lineman are hard to recruit because everyone needs them. What kind and how many changes, but not their necessity.

As to the LBs, that doesn’t change much, either. A lot of the time you’re recruiting the same outside edge rusher, it’s just a matter of if he has his hand in the dirt or not. 

Defenses scale with recruiting more than offenses because of their reactive nature. Offenses can get around most personnel issues by choosing how and what they run. If I had to pick a side where I was strong in recruiting it would easily be on the defensive side.

• Plus1 1