2019 Season Prediction Thread

Mavric

2019 Season Predictions  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What will Nebraska's 2019 regular season record be?

2. 2. Which games will the Huskers win in 2019?

This poll is closed to new votes

20 hours ago, Caveman said:

2019 is a new season with new faces at the skill positions and on the O-line. It's impossible to know how many turnovers or penalties the newcomers will commit. It's impossible to know the amount of time required, if any, before the O-line is able to maintain consistent execution- especially in the red zone.

Most of those newcomers are guys in the program - not guys getting off the bus in May. There’s no question these guys need to play well in order to hit some of these lofty win totals. Continuity in the coaching staff and at QB should help transition these guys.

The biggest newcomer for me is Darrion Daniels. He’s not a guy that gets into the backfield a lot, he’s a wide body that demands a double team and when he doesn’t get it he’s got a good enough swim to separate and cause havoc. Right now, Darrion is way ahead of his brother, but Damion has always showed potential. For me, when talking unknowns and things that have to go right for a big season, the defensive line and LBs are at the top of the list.

I have us around 8-9 wins, though I officially voted for eight. Losses to Purdue, Minnesota, Ohio State. Wisconsin or Iowa would be the other potential loss to land in the eight win area. I could very well see borderline bowl eligibility, though, somewhere in the 6-7 win area.

I think the Top 25 prognostications and even the 10-win stuff is a bit too lofty at this point, but I can see where people are getting it from, especially the national folks:

- Nebraska will probably have the best QB on the field in every single game in 2019

- second year in a system (keep in mind, this is the first time in four years some of these players will have the same returning DC... that's really significant)

- two solid back-to-back recruiting classes, including a Top 15 caliber for this cycle

- the perception of the influx of talent is quite high, with more than 75 percent of the roster having been flipped since Frost arrived (that's remarkable)

- Oh, and ScoFro

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

What are people seeing in Minnesota? I know they played better towards the end of the year, but it still feels like year 0 part 3 for them. I think losses are much more likely against OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, and probably even Northwestern. I don't think we lose all of those, but I see them as tougher games than Minnesota.

1. Minnesota dramatically improved after switching D-coordinators, which occurred after we played them, and finished the season with wins against Purdue, Wisconsin, and GT.

2. They shredded our defense after switching quarterbacks. That game would have been a thriller if Morgan started the entire game.

3. They were one of the youngest teams in the entire country, so I'm assuming their potential for improvement would be greater than most

4. Scott Frost is awesome and we will continue to improve, but don't sleep on Coach Fleck. What he did at Western Michigan was remarkable

Edit:

5. The game is at their place

• Plus1 2
42 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

What are people seeing in Minnesota? I know they played better towards the end of the year, but it still feels like year 0 part 3 for them. I think losses are much more likely against OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, and probably even Northwestern. I don't think we lose all of those, but I see them as tougher games than Minnesota.

I think they're benefitting from some late season pub much like Nebraska is. Their November started with an odd, inexcusable blowout loss to Illinois. But, they then throttled Purdue, lost a close game to NW, smacked Wisconsin and finished out the year by delivering Paul Johnson a big defeat in his last game. @Caveman also brings up some great points.

Admittedly, they're sort of all over the place as a program. The ebb and flow of their season last year is really interesting to look at overall because it doesn't make a lot of sense.

3 hours ago, brophog said:

Most of those newcomers are guys in the program - not guys getting off the bus in May. There’s no question these guys need to play well in order to hit some of these lofty win totals. Continuity in the coaching staff and at QB should help transition these guys.

The biggest newcomer for me is Darrion Daniels. He’s not a guy that gets into the backfield a lot, he’s a wide body that demands a double team and when he doesn’t get it he’s got a good enough swim to separate and cause havoc. Right now, Darrion is way ahead of his brother, but Damion has always showed potential. For me, when talking unknowns and things that have to go right for a big season, the defensive line and LBs are at the top of the list.

It's been a long time since we returned all our coaches and our starting QB.

I said 9-3 with losses to tOSU, NW, and Purdue, but those 3 along with Wisconsin and Iowa are tossups at best. As others have said, I wouldn't be surprised with any record from 7-5 to 10-2.

47 minutes ago, Caveman said:

1. Minnesota dramatically improved after switching D-coordinators, which occurred after we played them, and finished the season with wins against Purdue, Wisconsin, and GT.

2. They shredded our defense after switching quarterbacks. That game would have been a thriller if Morgan started the entire game.

3. They were one of the youngest teams in the entire country, so I'm assuming their potential for improvement would be greater than most

4. Scott Frost is awesome and we will continue to improve, but don't sleep on Coach Fleck. What he did at Western Michigan was remarkable

Edit:

5. The game is at their place

Good points, but I'm not sure I buy 1 for a whole season. Those teams didn't have a lot to play for (other than Wisconsin - they didn't want to give up the axe) and teams didn't have much data on their new DC. I feel like some regression will happen from their last 3 games, but I guess we'll see. I'm also willing to chalk number 2 up to us having prepared for their immobile QB, and we did stop them again at the end. I hope we're able to adjust in game better in year 2, he did torch us in the 3rd quarter.

We'll see I guess, but I guess I see it. They still don't scare me, but that could just be watching them toil in mediocrity for so long. To point 5, they don't have any sort of home field advantage. If they start off hot maybe people will start showing up but it's not an intimidating place to play and there's usually a very large Nebraska group.

• Plus1 1
On 2/7/2019 at 10:21 PM, The Murphinator said:

I went with 10-2 with losses to Wisconsin and Ohio State. I know that is overly optimistic, but it is reasonable with the schedule we have. The only other games that scare me are Northwestern and Iowa. So, 8-10 wins should be attainable.

We can't lose to Wisconsin again... I won't have it..

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 2/7/2019 at 9:05 PM, 4skers89 said:

I have similar reasoning.  The program was driven off a cliff including misses in recruiting, severe lack of development and losing attitude resulting in 4-8 record (again) and 1 player invited to combine,  We're a few years from winning anything of substance. We still need to get back to liking to win which will encourage more effort and maybe by next year they'll be to a point where they don't enter game(s) believing they'll lose.  The last hurdle is the biggest since it has become ingrained in the program over the last 15 years.  Getting to the point where they expect and want to win every game could happen three seasons from now which is necessary to win some kind of championship.  I'll be satisfied this season if they are competitive in every game, play hard until the end of every game and show improvement over last year.  Without knowing what other teams are losing from this year I picked losses to OSU, Wisconsin, Purdue and Minnesota.

I don’t think it takes that long. Winning doesn’t make the winner. Winners create wins.  And Scott and Co brought in a bunch this year as well as changed the culture of what we already had. 

People asking about Minnesota. They finished strong, may beat us if they make qb change earlier in game. 

They were missing arguably their 2 best players. Missing their best db, whom may make tackle on 2 long runs where db took horrible angle on Devine. We also play up there, which hasnt been good in recent trips.

I think we win, but those discounting Minnesota are drinking way toooo much koolaid, laced with vodka.

6 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

11-1, with a loss to tOSU. We've got a relatively soft schedule, and I feel team chemistry and talent is going to be decidedly better next season.

Put those two things together, and you've got somethin' sweeter than Yoohoo. 

My man is straight beer bonging the Kool-Aid.

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Last year had us on 6 wins

this year 9

south Alabama 95 %

colorado 80 %

northern Illinois 85%

illinois 95 %

ohio state 35%

northwestern 55%

minnesota 60%

indiana 85%