2019 Season Prediction Thread

Mavric

2019 Season Predictions  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What will Nebraska's 2019 regular season record be?

2. 2. Which games will the Huskers win in 2019?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, brophog said:

Defensive lineman are hard to recruit because everyone needs them. What kind and how many changes, but not their necessity.

As to the LBs, that doesn’t change much, either. A lot of the time you’re recruiting the same outside edge rusher, it’s just a matter of if he has his hand in the dirt or not. 

How you go about recruiting the linebackers doesn't change much, no. That is true. But the importance on good recruiting in this spot becomes more important because you're relying on them more for your pass rushing.

There really isn't much to disagree with here. Either we get some real talent in here at the linebacker spot soon or we will continue to be anemic on our defensive front seven in a three down linemen scheme.

*Edit: Of course, guys like Ty Robinson will help immensely here, given time. But if you only get one Ty Robinson every two classes, then you're going to have to have some incredibly athletically gifted linebackers. 

I think I voted, but just in case I predict 9-3. I really am torn between 8-4 and 9-3 right now, so I will go with the better record because the schedule is so darn easy. We should be 4-0 heading home against OSU and might have a chance in that game. We will probably lose a tight game or two and that happens in football. I believe 2020 is the season where we take off.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Wasn't sure where else to put this but I think we're going to surprise some people this year.  I think there's good reason we're showing up decently ranked in preseason top 25 polls:koolaid2:

I think that has more to do with Husker fans placing bets on the Huskers than people in Vegas actually thinking we have a chance to win an NC or Martinez winning the Heisman.  

All Vegas cares about is getting even money on both sides.  

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think that has more to do with Husker fans placing bets on the Huskers than people in Vegas actually thinking we have a chance to win an NC or Martinez winning the Heisman.  

All Vegas cares about is getting even money on both sides.  

I disagree.  Vegas doesn't just set teams odds based on people betting on them.  Just because a bunch of Maryland fans are betting on them to win, doesn't mean Vegas is gonna suddenly bump their odds of winning it up.  Look at the rest of the teams on that list.  Would your opinion be the same about them?

• Thanks 1

I disagree.  Vegas doesn't just set teams odds based on people betting on them.  Just because a bunch of Maryland fans are betting on them to win, doesn't mean Vegas is gonna suddenly bump their odds of winning it up.  Look at the rest of the teams on that list.  Would your opinion be the same about them?

Actually, yes they do.

Years ago, I was in Vegas and decided to put money down on Cubs winning the WS.  This was back when they sucked.  I was very surprised to see how Vegas had the odds on them.  When I asked, they said, because everyone comes and puts money down on the Cubs so the sports book raises the odds.

You look at that list of Heisman hopefuls.  For the sports book their perfect world is to have even money on every single one of those.  Thats literally the only thing they care about.

Now, what they will ask themselves is, "who do the betters think has the best odds?"  Then they adjust from there as the bets come in.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Actually, yes they do.

Years ago, I was in Vegas and decided to put money down on Cubs winning the WS.  This was back when they sucked.  I was very surprised to see how Vegas had the odds on them.  When I asked, they said, because everyone comes and puts money down on the Cubs so the sports book raises the odds.

You look at that list of Heisman hopefuls.  For the sports book their perfect world is to have even money on every single one of those.  Thats literally the only thing they care about.

Now, what they will ask themselves is, "who do the betters think has the best odds?"  Then they adjust from there as the bets come in.

You are right that in a perfect world they want even money on both sides.  The bettors make a difference to a degree but the swings are not overly drastic.  For example, a spread may move 3 points, one way or the other, based on the way people are betting but they don't just arbitrarily set a line based purely off that.  The odds have to be set somewhat realistic to start off with and Vegas is obviously very good at that.  Nebraska isn't going to go from a 60/1 favorite to a 40/1 just bc people are betting on them to win the NC. 

Take Nebraska and Martinez off that list, do any of the other teams or players stand out to you as unreasonable and just bc those teams fans are betting on them?  

You are right that in a perfect world they want even money on both sides.  The bettors make a difference to a degree but the swings are not overly drastic.  For example, a spread may move 3 points, one way or the other, based on the way people are betting but they don't just arbitrarily set a line based purely off that.  The odds have to be set somewhat realistic to start off with and Vegas is obviously very good at that.  Nebraska isn't going to go from a 60/1 favorite to a 40/1 just bc people are betting on them to win the NC. 

Take Nebraska and Martinez off that list, do any of the other teams or players stand out to you as unreasonable and just bc those teams fans are betting on them?  

We're talking about a fine line of semantics.  

What I'm reading you saying is a sports book thinks like a sports fan.  I'm saying they think like a sports book. 

They are not sitting there thinking Hey, Nebraska  has a 40/1 odds of winning.  They are sitting there thinking, hey, at 40/1 odds, we probably are going to get even money.

In the case of point spreads, they sit there and think, Hey, if we put the spread at 3 points, we will get even money.  

Interestingly, if a lot of people bet the game, the spread usually comes out pretty close.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We're talking about a fine line of semantics.  

What I'm reading you saying is a sports book thinks like a sports fan.  I'm saying they think like a sports book. 

They are not sitting there thinking Hey, Nebraska  has a 40/1 odds of winning.  They are sitting there thinking, hey, at 40/1 odds, we probably are going to get even money.

In the case of point spreads, they sit there and think, Hey, if we put the spread at 3 points, we will get even money.  

Interestingly, if a lot of people bet the game, the spread usually comes out pretty close.

It pretty much is semantics bc I agree.  I guess what I'm saying is Nebraska has to be a decent team in Vegas' mind to even get on that list to begin with or Vegas isn't going to get even money.

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Not saying he’s right or wrong (he’s wrong), but if I interpret this correctly, we have playoff level coaching, playoff level talent, and still go 7-5 and maybe even 6-6?

He says in the tweet that the graphs are an example and haven't been updated for this season yet.