Which of the new recruits do you see playing significant snaps as a freshman

Dagerow

I think most agree that Frost got a great recruiting class.  The question is which will make the most impact next year.  

The easy and obvious answer starts with Wandale Robinson.  But who else?  This, to me is more complicated due to existing depth.

My top 3:

Wandale

Mills (if he makes it here)

Noa

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

Wandale for sure

Benhart has a pretty good shot at starting early

I agree with Noa as well

A sleeper might be Darien Chase

Benhart is a great talent and I think he will have a good career here. However, he needs some time in the weight room and training table. He may see some snaps this year, but I don’t see him starting. 

42 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:
  1. Wandale - freshman 
  2. Mills - juco
  3. Daniels - grad transfer 

I think there will def be more than that, especially with the 4 game rule. Benhart, Pola-Gates, Henrich, Nance, Johnson, Nelson...

This is what I kinda see as well.  Good chance that Daniels and Mills start with Wandale getting some reps. Could definitely see Johnson, Chase, Nance all contributing depending on whether Williams, Woodyard, McQuitty, Miles Jones step up and stay healthy. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Benhart is a great talent and I think he will have a good career here. However, he needs some time in the weight room and training table. He may see some snaps this year, but I don’t see him starting. 

He’s a lot like Jaimes was, a guy you don’t really want to start but it may be needed. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It’ll be nice in a year or 2 when we aren’t as thin and there are just a few true freshman stars we expect to play.

I think college football is past that model, which is one reason for the redshirt rule change. With so many early entrees now, redshirting can actually cost you a year rather than gaining one. Transfers are so common teams really need that influx of young talent. The kids expect to play early. How many times do we now hear a kid commit and say he’ll spend 3-4 years at that university.

They’re also just more ready to play early. Some of these kids are just behemoths and the high school schemes more than ever resemble college systems. With all of the year round training, camps and the like, it’s just a different beast these days. 

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not sure what people see in Mills that makes them think he’ll start over Washington. 

I would expect Washington to get the most carries, but situationally one is used more than the other. At the end of the season a breakdown of 2 backs, R, and QB. How that breaks down exactly will have a lot to do with how effective the R is out of the backfield. 

The one one thing to definitely expect is fewer called QB runs. That was often the best option when we needed a few yards, but we don’t want to put unnecessary wear on the QB. It’s a big reason why we got Mills. 3rd/4th and very short killed a lot of drives last year.